• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

New Pipeorgan recordings...

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi,

I think it a marvelous recording and very proper repertoire ably interpreted by Mr. Wargh :up::tiphat::clap:

Cheers,

CD :):):):)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Janne,

Splendid recording ... captured the complete tonal ranges of the organ. Very crisp high end without being offensive, and the lows were just absolutely perfect not being too overpowering.

The artist playing was superb, too. Always enjoy hearing another's interpretation of great masters works.

I know you've given us the information on the microphones used, but what are you using to record the performance? A digital recorder, perhaps?

robmcw

I too am wondering what medium you recorded to and what mic preamps were used, if any? btw, great sounding reeds!

Janne

Hi there!

Thanks for your time, and i am flattering for your good reviews on this recording. :eek:
Mr Wargh is a fantastic organist, without is splendid playing nothing of this had became good music. :clap:

Of course everything can be better, playing, recording and and so on...

My equipment on this recording is:

Dell XPS 2010 (Vista- Ultimate) Cubase4, RME Fireface 800 and Apogee's MiniMP and MiniME.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use the Gefell M296 on MiniMP, and MiniME on acoustics (Rode NT5)
Distant from organ is 10m (32 ft) for the M296, space between the mic is 70cm (2,3 ft)
and 8m (26,2 ft) high. Acoustics (Rode NT5) is still my little secret :rolleyes:
-----------------------------------------------------------

Janne

Hi!

In the beginning of 2009 (jan-feb) Mr Wargh and myself will go for a trip to Stiftsbasilika Waldsassen in Germany and make a CD Recording.
That organ will be someting great to record, and the church is unbelievable beautiful...:D

p5151072.jpg-htmlfile.html

p5151074.jpg-htmlfile.html

p5151083.jpg-htmlfile.html

acc

Indeed — Bavaria is heaven when it comes to gorgeous church interiors.:angel::angel::angel:

Corno Dolce

Oh yes,

I too, have had a go on that fascinating instrument at the *Stiftsbasilika* - What a honey it is.......

Flute'n'Pedal

I don't know which is more beautiful, the picture or the recording. But I thank you, Janne, for sharing them with us.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
those photos are perfectly stunning, thanks, not doubt about it, the Baroque was so over the top in all regards: music, art, architecture ...

greatcyber

I'm bummed~the link didn't allow me to hear the organ, but the pictures are totally awesome! I would surely love to hear the organ filling that space. Gives me the wander lust.

dll927

Some of you seem to be almost a walking encyclopedia of organs. Ask a question, and you guys know exactly where it is.

I'm not much of a traveller - I hate living out of a suitcase. So it figures that someone who has been around more has seen some of these beauties in person.

When it comes to churches (and architecture in general), Europe is obviously a showcase. And many of those buildings have been standing there a LONG time. I'm also awed every time I see pictures of the interior of Notre Dame Cathedal up in Montreal, Quebec. That has to be one beautiful place.

Corno Dolce

Aloha dll927,

I see my colleagues who struggle with big suitcases - I just travel with a modified Flight Crew Bag which goes into the overhead bin.

Anyway, there are glorious buildings with fantastic instruments like St. Ouen in Rouen where part of the latest Cd's of Demessieux's organ oeuvre were recorded. Personally, I would have liked if all of the Demessieux organ oeuvre were recorded there. So what if the instrument doesn't have 61-note manuals and a 32-note pedal clavier. The metal 32' Bombarde at St. Ouen beats the pants off the wooden 32' Bombarde of St. Martin's in Dudelange anyday of the week plus the acoustic space at St. Ouen is glorious.

Cheerio,

CD :):):)

acc

Personally, I would have liked if all of the Demessieux organ oeuvre were recorded there.

So would I, but the reason why this has not been done can be put into one single word: Études. There is simply no way they can be played on an action other than electrical.

Mind you, some sections of the Méditations op.6 have similar technical difficulties, and even Pierre Labric chose to record them in Angoulême (alongside the Études), rather than at his beloved St-Ouen organ (at which he recorded almost all of his other 20+ LPs). So I was rather astounded hearing Stephen Tharp playing the Méditations at St-Ouen. (Listen to the last mouvement, Lumière, and you'll know what I mean.)

Corno Dolce

Aloha acc,

Yes, I see what you mean with *Lumiere*. It has been my understanding that Mlle. Demessieux has played all her organ works at St. Ouen - I gather it was her favorite CC organ.

Humbly,

CD :):):)

Ps: Have you read the Doctoral dissertation on Jeanne Demessieux *A Critical Examination Of Her Life* by Martin Welzel?

Last edited: