• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Youtube — Dupré's home organ

acc

I think this is the first time the organ at Marcel Dupré's home in Meudon has been published on video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZOIIzXtPIk[/YOUTUBE]

methodistgirl

Wow what an organ for someone's home. I would do well to fit an
accordion into my little apartment.
judy tooley

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
WOW!!! Thanx ACC - I have always wanted to hear that instrument - Thanx for sharing.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

acc

Corno Dolce,

This link refers to a CD recording made on that organ. You may also have a look at Haydn House's “organ loft” and search for “Falcinelli” for two futher CDs there.

Judy,

The first link above also shows the CD cover with a picture of the organ: to realize how big this instrument really is, notice the grand piano at the bottom left.

Corno Dolce

Hi ACC,

Thannx for sharing that web-url with me - Didn't know it existed.

Tante Grazie Signore!

Ciao,

Muza

Is it just me or is there something off in the way he is playing that piece ...because it really hurts to listen...

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
WOW!!! Thanx ACC - I have always wanted to hear that instrument - Thanx for sharing.

Cheers,CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Hi Corno Dolce,
Indeed ... a splendid sounding organ.
Looked up the specs (Doehring's site) ... just 37 rks & no 32's :) - still a nice instrument to have had at home in one's private auditorium.

Corno Dolce

Dear Master Krummhorn,

Yes, Dupre was a lucky fella to have this instrument in his *Chambre de Musique*. I believe it has 73-note manuals to boot.

Cheers,

acc

Yes, 73 notes indeed.

The original instrument was built by Cavaillé-Coll for Alexandre Guilmant (Dupré's organ teacher), who also lived in a villa in Meudon (just a stone's throw away from Dupré's). It had “only” three manuals, but already a 61 note manual compass, which was quite exceptional for Cavaillé-Coll. Guilmant died in 1911, but his organ remained in his villa for some time after that.

When Dupré settled in Meudon in 1925, he heard that Guilmant's heirs wanted to get rid of the organ, so he bought it. Then, in the 1930s, he transformed it quite extensively, adding a fourth manual, several stops, a combination system (looks funny now, but back then it was state-of-the-art) and that famous sixth octave to the manual compass.

Corno Dolce

Dear Master ACC,

Thou art a wellspring of knowledge - WOW!!! Thanx for proffering the *skinny* on the Meudon organ.

Cheers,

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Sounds like a fantasia on BWV 565 don't you think??

Also amazing that his "house organ" is four manuals, good GOD, where are all the pipes?

Soubasse

Now there's a marvellous gem indeed. I too have often wondered what that instrument must have sounded like. Wasn't it also this organ that inspired Albert Alain to build his (which I think was/is also 4 manuals)? There's a reasonable amount of reverberation too even from the camera mic so it's obviously a fair sized room.

I gather that the odd-looking "breadboard" right next to the console is the aforementioned stop combination system?

Also, is the house still in the Dupre family or is it now some sort of museum?

Many thanks for posting that ACC.

acc

Sounds like a fantasia on BWV 565 don't you think??

Also amazing that his "house organ" is four manuals, good GOD, where are all the pipes?

Yes, there are some clear hints to BWV565. ;)

There is no need to worry about room for the pipes: on one hand, as Kh said, there are “only” 37 ranks (i.e. much less than a typical four manual organ), and on the other hand, the length of the auditorium is even greater than its width (see for example the picture on this page).

Moreover, the electronics of the combination system and (I think) the blower are in the basement, right below the organ.

acc

Wasn't it also this organ that inspired Albert Alain to build his (which I think was/is also 4 manuals)?

Albert Alain (who built his organ himself!) started his project much earlier, in 1910. The Grand-Orgue was finished in 1912, the Positif in 1914, the Récit in 1922. Although the fourth manual was only finished in 1950, he started working on it in 1929, i.e. five years before Dupré transformed his organ in Meudon.

Therefore, I don't think there is any reason to believe that Dupré inspired Albert Alain with his organ in any way.

I gather that the odd-looking "breadboard" right next to the console is the aforementioned stop combination system?

Yes, it's the combination system.

Also, is the house still in the Dupre family or is it now some sort of museum?

It's no longer in the Dupré family, but it's still privately owned.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
acc - again, thanks for sharing these wonderful facts about this "house organ" the fact that it's only 37 ranks is irrelevant, I think the four manuals mean that diversity is achieved. Personally, I'd go the 150 rank five manual digital organ and save about 90% on space AND cost, but that's personal.

Soubasse

Thanks acc for all that. Yes I was confusing myself as well as others and I realised after I pressed send that it looked chronologically inept. I meant to say that the original Guilmant instrument (ie, prior to Dupre's purchase and subsequent additions) was, so I gather, a reference point for Albert Alain's rather unique construction. I recall Marie Claire telling me that some of the wind trunkings were apparently made of cardboard!! :eek: She also said something about old cigar boxes being used but I don't remember the context ... will have to dig out the interview and have another listen.

One day I hope to get to Romainmotier to hear that organ ... sigh, one day :rolleyes:

Reactions: acc

acc

the fact that it's only 37 ranks is irrelevant, I think the four manuals mean that diversity is achieved.

Well, I only mentioned the number of ranks to explain why there is nothing miraculous about fitting all the pipes behind the case. But of course, I agree with you: one can achieve great diversity with a limited number of stops. My favourite example for this is the Kleuker organ at l'Alpe d'Huez (designed by Jean Guillou): it has incredible diversity with only 24 stops!