Hello...

Hawk Henries

Hello Everyone,

I found this forum while searching for a oboist forum, though I have heard of it as I also belong to Talk Classical (thanks F. Magle)

For close to twenty years I have been a maker/player of Native(american) flute's. Also I play didg, kora and love mbira (not so skilled though).

Music is a window into other culture/ideaology/....

Recently in fact 4 day's ago I began a journey with oboe! I have no teacher, can't read music...what a journey it will be!
My interest in classical music is very new, less than a year.
As part of the acknowledgement of John Smith and the founding of Jamestown Virginia I was invited to Lincolnshire England.
This story is very long so I will spare some of the detail's.
Part of my work was to create a piece of music that the London Mozart Player's and I would perform in concert.
After listening and watcing them perform Tchaikovskys Serenade I was instantly hooked on this music.
I LOVE the baroque era and for several month's no matter what I listen to oboe speak's loudly , it touches me and causes me to feel something I can not explain.

Well I now have an oboe (Larilee) that is maybe 15 year's old. It was a gift by a woman (I did not know she was an oboist) who I gave a flute to a couple year's ago.

My intent was to find a forum where I could talk with oboist's ... After perusing this forum I suspect I will enjoy many conversations on many topic's.

I wish you all Peace

Hawk

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hello Hawk,

Welcome aboard - Please do make yourself feel right at home and stay for a spell.

You mentioned that you like music from the Baroque Era. Well, JSBach is one whose music I happen to perform regularly as an organist, singer, and as pianist. I also love Mozart and Haydn and have sung solo parts in their Masses and other dramatic works.

Of course, I don't limit myself to just Baroque. 20th Cent. composers like Shostakovich, Messiaen and Tournemire are also staples in my diet, just like Brahms, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Franck, and Bruckner and many, many others.

A composer whose music I feel doesn't get enough airtime is Jakob Handl aka Jacobus Gallus (1550-1591). His A Cappella Choral Music is easily transcribed for Brasswind Ensembles, of which I play the Contrabass Trombone.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Hawk Henries

Hi Corno Dolce,
Thanks for the welcome!
This world of classical is wide open for me! Though I am loving baroque, Albinoni, Purcell, Handel, Boyce, Vivaldi, etc, classical composers like Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and of course many more are equally brilliant and capture my ear (whole being) too!

Jakob Handl- is this renisannce? Can you suggest a recording? Thanks. :)

I wish you Peace
Hawk

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Hi Hawk :tiphat:

Welcome to this forum, where you will find a lot of very talented musicians and composers in various styles of music.

So join in on any thread you might choose and remember these guys and gals love to exchange musical experiences and any other issue of importance for the regulars.

But first and foremost. Have fun!! ;)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hello Hawk,

Welcome aboard to MIMF ... glad to have you here as well.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hello Hawk:wave:,

Welcome to MIMF. I bet you'll have a great time here:).

BTW, I used to play oboe. It was 15 years old Marigaux after thorough make-over (you can see it in my avatar). It sounded just fabulous.

Cheers,
Mat:tiphat:

marval

Hello Hawk

Welcome to this wonderful place. We talk about music and all subjects, so do join in.

I am also a member of TC, but stay here for a while, relax and enjoy.

Margaret

methodistgirl

Hi! Welcome to the forum. You said that you were a Native American
flute player and I just love that kind of music. I find it relaxing.
judy tooley

Hawk Henries

Thank you everyone for welcomeing me to this community. It is nice to see familiar face's, well at least name's....

Kh I am still listening close for the sound of Zimblestern...plus I like using the word. Something new to amaze my friend's with. :)

Judy, yes I build/play NA flute's. I am Nipmuc which is part of the Algonquin speaking peoples...

Margaret, have we met? Do you play clarinet?

marval

No Hawk I don't play clarinet. I don't play any intrument at the moment. I joined here and TC because I like classical music. But I tend to be a watch and learn person on TC, but here I join in more.

Margaret

Muza

Hello Hawk,
Nice to meet you and have you as a part of this wonderful forum community ;)

Welcome and enjoy your time here!