PDA

View Full Version : Buying an SLR camera and need advice

Pages : [1] 2

Contratrombone64
Jun-17-2008, 06:33
Well, my title says it all ... anyone who currently owns such a beast and can give me some basic advice would be wonderful.

CT64

methodistgirl
Jun-17-2008, 17:34
I know one thing. They are expensive. Maybe you will find a good
deal on one.
judy tooley

Krummhorn
Jun-17-2008, 19:27
Hi CT64,

Are you seeking out a 35mm or digital, and/or are you a camera bug that wants to have the ability to change out lenses?

Judy,

Actually, there are some el-cheapo units that do a fair job of taking digital photos. I have a 1 MP resolution camera I use for portrait pics. Most of the pics I have posted in the gallery were taken using my mobile phone camera - only paid $59 for the phone.

methodistgirl
Jun-17-2008, 19:34
I know what you mean by el-cheepo. I bought a little webcam for about
12 dollars. You can't beat that with a stick. I would like to afford a
camera that is better someday.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64
Jun-17-2008, 23:41
Krummiest - yeah - I'm beginning to realise that the world's an oyster and the sky's the limit. I visited a Paxton's Camera Store yesterday and was quoted $X for an Olympus E510, with two lenses 14-42 and 40-150, plus a 1GB memory card, a circular polariser (whatever the hell that is) and a carry bad. All deemed to be must haves, and the cost $1350. I found the exact same camera on the web (shopbot.com.au) for about $200 cheaper. It does pay to shop around BUT as I'm only a passionate photographer and not a professional it would seem I have to do a lot more research on the topic.

For example, some (but not all) models come with "anti-wobble" software, understandable as the cameras themselves are heavy.

As to your question about 35mm or digital, who uses 35mm any more? Digital of course, then one can vet the photos before wasting money on prints. I know several professional photographers who have given up traditional film (must vex Kodak no end) and one or two who still swear by it.

Krummhorn
Jun-18-2008, 00:05
CT64,

I still use 35mm ... mainly for scenery (mountains, forests, vast spans of open space) as when processed as a colour transparency (slides) they so beautifully amplify the greatest depth of field when projected onto a screen.

I don't yet have a digital SLR, but have my eye on a Nikon D40 ... I like the option of having interchangeable lenses for different applications and more versatility.

Kodak will manage fine - they still provide endless celluloid for all the trashy films the movie studios seem to be turning out. :crazy:

Contratrombone64
Jun-18-2008, 00:07
Krummiest - ok - I see your persepctive. Funny, I was discussing the Nikon D40 yesterday with a colleague and she's also looking at that exact brand. I really need to buy a book about SLR cameras and really do some research BEFORE I buy.

Contratrombone64
Jun-18-2008, 00:35
I found this, which is helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

Krummhorn
Jun-18-2008, 06:44
Small world ... Nikon D40 looks like it has the features I want.

Sometimes in my research, I use the online version of Consumer Reports (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/cameras-photography/cameras-camcorders/digital-cameras/digital-slrs/overview/digital-slrs-ov.htm). Unfortunately, it requires an online membership to view past this splash page, but some useful information is on the "free" page for that link.

Looks like CR prefers the Nikon D80 ... my cousin in Michigan just got that model, and really likes it - the pics he has sent me are fantastic. Looks like that model prices (here) around 900 clams.

My prior 35mm SLR was a Chinon - paid $500 for the body, and another $700 for the 28mm - 75mm lens. Absolutely wonderful camera ... after 12 years, the flip mirror mechanism broke and, well, that was the end of that. Kept the lens, pitched the body - no repair/replacement parts available anywhere at any price ... bummers.

Very nice article on wikipedia that you posted ... :up:

Contratrombone64
Jun-18-2008, 07:55
end of story: I finally decided to buy an Olympus E410 digital SLR + 14-42mm Zuiko Lens; SanDisk 2GB flash memory; Circular Polarising Filter, UV Filter and Carry Bag ... it'll turn up "in 3-4 business days". Can't WAIT.

Krummhorn
Jun-18-2008, 16:24
Way Cool, CT64 ...

Did you ever find out what a Circular Polarising Filter is used for?

Contratrombone64
Jun-18-2008, 23:44
Circular Polarising Filters are used if you're taking photos with bright sunlight and you want to maintain the integrity of your reds (aparently).

Krummhorn
Jun-19-2008, 07:43
Ok ... makes sense ... reds do have a tendency to wash out more than the other colours.

Contratrombone64
Jun-20-2008, 00:04
It took 3.5 hours to charge the battery last night so, once it was finished, it was 9:30 pm which is my bed time, I did however set the date and time and then take the obligatory photo of my living room (not very exciting I'm afraid).

intet_at_tabe
Jun-21-2008, 08:53
Well, my title says it all ... anyone who currently owns such a beast and can give me some basic advice would be wonderful.

CT64

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera)

Mat
Jun-21-2008, 16:56
Contra, after you have tamed the beast, we'd like to see some photos

Contratrombone64
Jun-23-2008, 00:31
Mat - I took some remarkably nice photos of some not so typical Sydney scenes on the weekend ... including a photo of a statue of a cat named "Trim". Mathew Flinder's cat (one of our early explorers). Once I get my act together with downloading, I'll post them.

greatcyber
Jul-04-2008, 19:59
CT,
Glad you got your camera. We have a Canon Rebel Digital 340 with SLR. It takes beautiful pictures. We added a telephoto lens and the filter you spoke of a couple of years ago when we were in Toronto on holiday. We still have a 35mm that Joe has had for about 20 years and he took incredible pics with that. But it is soooo nice not to have to pay to develop and photos. Playing around with the software can be a bit trying, but it is well worth learning. Then you will become a master at making edits and airbrushing. Just think of the "flipper-boy" pics you can come up with!

We also have a Canon Mini DV that takes beautiful vids.

Just a tidbit...both of these digitals were one of the prizes I got from Sony when I was on the Wheel of Fortune 3 years ago. Together the cameras are valued at around $3500 USD. I wasn't the big winner on the show, but did come away with $10K, which more than covered the expenses for the trip out to LA.

Look forward to hearing how you are getting on with your new toy and seeing some pics.

Stephen

Contratrombone64
Jul-08-2008, 00:05
here are my photos at least three of them. Enjoy

Obviously the Opera House with Harbour Bridge behind (taken from a very unusual vantage point, one of the pathways in the Botanical Gardens). A statue of a founding father, with the eastern side of the city in the background. Saint Andrew's Anglican Cathedral.

Contratrombone64
Jul-08-2008, 00:17
Here are some more photos (that's enough).

Eastern side of the city (my favourite) from the Botanical Gardens. A fountain in Hyde Park (near St. Mary's Cathedral). The Queen Victoria Building.

Krummhorn
Jul-08-2008, 01:21
Stunning photos, CT64 ... absolutely beautiful and so full of colour and detail.
You truly live in a beautiful place.

Contratrombone64
Jul-08-2008, 01:29
Sydney is a stunning beautiful city. And thanks, I enjoy photography, and now I've got a half decent camera my enjoyment is manifold.

My tip: if it's overcast, don't bother taking photos, blue sky: perfect.

methodistgirl
Jul-08-2008, 04:04
Nice pictures contra. I got one of those cheep cameras that leaves my
images a bit cloudy.
judy tooley

Krummhorn
Jul-08-2008, 06:31
CT64,

Great to hear that you enjoy photography ... I've shot lots of color transparency film over the years (many years ago at that). Always had fun doing that and creating different effects, "framing" picturesque spots with branches and leaves of a bush.
One can be as creative as they want ... and these days we no longer have to wait the week for development time. Pretty cool ...

I've picked the DSLR I want ... and can afford ... Nikon D40 with 18-55mm lens and adding the 55-200mm lens too. That one will suit my needs fairly well ... and it has great reviews ... But I'll certainly check out the Olympus line, too.

Contratrombone64
Jul-08-2008, 06:49
I went Olympus because it's the most compact SLR to date. Meaning you don't need to lug around a midget sized monster. Simple. Also, being SLR and Olympus I can, later add on lenses up to super zoom, "capturing the nipple on a supermodel a mile away" will be no problem.

Krummhorn
Jul-08-2008, 06:58
Ya better get an expensive tripod for that ... :lol:

I don't mind lugging around monsters ... whenever I go on vacation trips or scenic ventures, I always take my 35mm (film) camera, my Sony Hi8 Handycam, my tall tripod, extra film, extra blank vid tape, batteries and such. Hell, before I had the Sony Handycam, I used a full sized VHS Vid cam with two lenses.

Soon enough, I'll add a DSLR to the mix - probably will dispense with the 35mm film unit then, although the shooting of color transparencies of long distance scenery is hard to beat when projected on a large screen. Something about that "depth of field" that's missing in a two dimensional print, although viewing photos on my PC's 19" Flat panel LCD screen is pretty terrific, too.

marval
Jul-08-2008, 14:16
Hi CT

Some lovely photos there, well done.

A good camera and a beautiful place.

Margaret

greatcyber
Jul-08-2008, 22:23
CT,
The clarity is amazing! Can't wait to see more as time goes by.

I took a 30 minute video of South Korea's fireworks exhibit on Saturday but since we were so close, there is too much flare at the ground level. I'm trying to see if I can use digital filtering to clean it up and post a link to it. This Saturday I'll use the filter on the lens. If that doesn't work out well then next week we'll try from farther away.

Stephen

Contratrombone64
Jul-08-2008, 23:32
Margaret and Stephen - glad you enjoyed them. I'll post some more

Contratrombone64
Jul-08-2008, 23:39
As promised, some more photos, including "Trim" my favourite bronze statue of Matthew Flinder's cat, poor thing got left behind and (as the legend goes) died of sadness at his master's absence ...

1) a gorgeous little bridge in the Botanical Gardens 2) "Trim" and 3) Sydney Tower peeking through some trees in Hyde Park

marval
Jul-08-2008, 23:49
They are lovely, thank you CT. Poor "Trim."

Margaret

Mat
Jul-08-2008, 23:51
I like the Sydney Tower

Contratrombone64
Jul-08-2008, 23:59
Margaret. Trim's story is heartbreaking (especially as I'm a cat lover, rather, a pet lover).

Mat
Jul-09-2008, 00:04
Contra, have you taken any photos with a circular polariser yet?

Contratrombone64
Jul-09-2008, 00:07
Mat - no not yet - I'm still very much grappling with my new technology. I must do more research and find out the "ideal" situation to use it. I did have the U.V. filter on at the time.

Mat
Jul-09-2008, 00:11
It'd be nice to see the diffrence between a picture taken with and without the polariser. So, the next time you've got opportunity...

Contratrombone64
Jul-09-2008, 00:13
Mat - I'll do that - would be a worthwhile experiment.

methodistgirl
Jul-09-2008, 00:49
Contra, is that your kitchen? I love those pictures.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64
Jul-09-2008, 01:17
Judy Is what my kitchen?? thanks by the way

James McFadyen
Jul-12-2008, 10:58
I work for a major high street retailer and I specialize in the photographic section.

If budget is an issue you should consider the Olympus e-410. It's gone clearance now but is a great DSLR and very decent quality lens.

Going for something a little more current, you've got the Olympus e-420 and e-520, although I would recommend the Canon 450D. This is new and Canon currently has a £50 cashback it. It comes with a standard 18-55mm image stabalizing lens.

Then you've got the Sony alpha range, eg the a200 and a300 are good mid range DSLR's that are packed full of features, surprising good lens.

The Nikon range (D40 and D60) are worth considering, but TBH, go for the D60 as it is 10 megapixels. The D40 is only 6.

If going for the D60, go for the VR option (Vibration Reduction). Unlike compact digital's, most DSLR's have the vibration reduction (anti-shake) in the lens (not the body like the Sony's). the VR being in the lens means you get a faster and sharper focus - great for those action shots. On Canon DSLR's it is called "Image Stabalizer". There is also cashback on the Nikon's(£40 for the D40 and £60 for the D60)

Hope this helps a bit.

Contratrombone64
Jul-14-2008, 08:15
I work for a major high street retailer and I specialize in the photographic section.

If budget is an issue you should consider the Olympus e-410. It's gone clearance now but is a great DSLR and very decent quality lens.

Going for something a little more current, you've got the Olympus e-420 and e-520, although I would recommend the Canon 450D. This is new and Canon currently has a £50 cashback it. It comes with a standard 18-55mm image stabalizing lens.

Then you've got the Sony alpha range, eg the a200 and a300 are good mid range DSLR's that are packed full of features, surprising good lens.

The Nikon range (D40 and D60) are worth considering, but TBH, go for the D60 as it is 10 megapixels. The D40 is only 6.

If going for the D60, go for the VR option (Vibration Reduction). Unlike compact digital's, most DSLR's have the vibration reduction (anti-shake) in the lens (not the body like the Sony's). the VR being in the lens means you get a faster and sharper focus - great for those action shots. On Canon DSLR's it is called "Image Stabalizer". There is also cashback on the Nikon's(£40 for the D40 and £60 for the D60)

Hope this helps a bit.

Please read this thread (from the top), you'll see my journey.

James McFadyen
Jul-14-2008, 23:25
end of story: I finally decided to buy an Olympus E410 digital SLR + 14-42mm Zuiko Lens; SanDisk 2GB flash memory; Circular Polarising Filter, UV Filter and Carry Bag ... it'll turn up "in 3-4 business days". Can't WAIT.

Excellent choice!

Contratrombone64
Jul-14-2008, 23:35
Furthermore, after dealing with my local "high street" (though we don't call them that here, but I know what you mean as I lived in England for a year) camera dealership. I decided to buy off the web: two important reasons 1) much cheaper (no rental and so forth) 2) 2 year warranty (neither of which the dealer could match).

greatcyber
Jul-16-2008, 06:34
I'm still waiting for the kitchen.

Stephen

Contratrombone64
Jul-17-2008, 03:59
I'm puzzled too ...

methodistgirl
Aug-05-2008, 23:11
I know what you mean by el-cheepo. I bought a little webcam for about
12 dollars. You can't beat that with a stick. I would like to afford a
camera that is better someday.
judy tooley

Yeah! weeks later it winds up in file 13 to be replaced by another one a little bit better. The little 12 dollar camera fell apart almost a month later.
It's the one that I created the video with. Oh well, you get what you
pay for!:rolleyes:
judy tooley

Contratrombone64
Aug-05-2008, 23:32
Judy, did you beat it with a stick?

methodistgirl
Aug-05-2008, 23:42
That was a figure of speech for us southerners.:grin: It worked almost a
whole month. It was a pretty good little camera when it did work.
I have a new one now that cost only the price of a kodak.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64
Aug-05-2008, 23:49
Judy - I know it's a figure of speech, it's used here too, you might be surprised to know. I thought you might have beated your camera, hence its demise ...

methodistgirl
Aug-06-2008, 00:14
After the camera fell apart, I didn't have much to do to it except throw
it away. That's a wal mart camera for you.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64
Aug-06-2008, 00:24
Judy yeah I guess you do get what you pay for ... would you like to see some more photos I took with my SLR camera?

Contratrombone64
Aug-06-2008, 00:32
Here are some more photos ... enjoy

methodistgirl
Aug-06-2008, 00:45
I have some photos before the little camera went bye bye. Two of
Red and my two flowers.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64
Aug-06-2008, 02:02
I love your hermy crab judy, he's very pretty!

methodistgirl
Aug-06-2008, 02:09
That's one of my babies. He pinched me yesterday. The little stink!
That's okay though. If you have pets, get ready to get bitten, scratched
or pinched.:nut: Ouch!:cry: Someone had a rhino bug for a pet. We here call
them pinch bugs and they are a lot worse about pinching than a crab.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64
Aug-06-2008, 02:11
LOL - did he draw blood? Yikes ...

methodistgirl
Aug-06-2008, 02:21
He didn't pinch too hard. It left a little red mark but it went away
pretty quickly. He came out of his shell and looked at with his little
bug eyes like he was sorry. It did hurt and he could have done more
damage but it didn't. He just got the edge of my skin not a whole
lot. He little claw does have enough strength to break a small pretzel
apart. In the wild that claw can be handy cracking open a shell to
eat some things like dead shrimp,oysters, and small clams.
judy tooley

greatcyber
Aug-06-2008, 03:57
Red is very dapper, indeed, Judy. I'm sure you will be able to replace your webcam rather inexpensively. Maybe check on E-bay. Even a $25 cam can serve to take pics and do video chats. If you get Skype and you have friends that have Skype you can have video chats for free (anywhere in the world). That's a good incentive.

Stephen

Kiss, kiss on your boo boo.

Krummhorn
Sep-08-2008, 01:09
Here are some more photos ... enjoy

CT64,

Those photo shots are absolutely stunning. So sharp and clear, too. Nice to see where other people here live.

Well, after several months of evaluating and research, I've decided to take the DSLR plunge, albeit a bit on the conservative side. I've ordered a Nikon D40 that comes with two lenses:

AF-S DX 18-55mm Zoom Nikkor f/3.5 - 5.6G ED II
AF-S DX 55-200mm Zoom Nikkor f/4.0 - 5.6G ED IIOpted for the 4 GB SD memory and an extra rechargeable lithium battery. Comes with the software and cables for downloading, charger - the works!
Should be arriving later in the week ... my last SLR was a Chinon CP5 35mm film camera, so looking forward to the "instant view" of shots taken. Hope to share photos here, too.

Contratrombone64
Sep-08-2008, 02:36
Krummiest - how wonderful, when are you expecting the monster to arrive?

Corno Dolce
Sep-08-2008, 11:36
Congrats Master Krummhorn - I hope that your new acquisition will give you many smiles per mile.

Cheerio,

CD :):):)

Krummhorn
Sep-09-2008, 07:33
Krummiest - how wonderful, when are you expecting the monster to arrive?

Expecting it by Thursday (Friday to you ... :lol:) ... it was shipped last Friday morning and normal shipping is 4 or 5 business days.

Taking a 9 day holiday early next month, so I want to be somewhat proficient with it before we head out.

How long did it take you to get pretty familiar with your new DSLR?

Contratrombone64
Sep-10-2008, 00:05
Krummiest - I'm only just about familiar with it. But I used the pre-arranged programs as I can't figure out manual shutter fiddling (life's too short, for me at least). Most SLRs come with "portrait, landscape, children, night scenes, et cetera" ... I use these until I can be bothered to "do it alone".

Mat
Sep-10-2008, 00:41
Oh, "doing it alone" is all the fun!

Contratrombone64
Sep-10-2008, 00:52
Mat - wonderful man - I need a personal trainer in that case and it's a shame he's in Poland.

Mat
Sep-10-2008, 01:04
*smiles mysteriously at CT*

Contratrombone64
Sep-10-2008, 01:27
mysteriously? hmmmm *CT64 grapples with that pearl of wisdom ... *

Mat
Sep-10-2008, 16:49
Hope to share photos here, too.

Hmm, why not?

1. Wurlitzer organ in MusikInstrumenten-Museum, Berlin
2. Russian WWII Memorial, Berlin
3. Berlin Philharmonic, few moments before rehearsal for Stravinsky's Konzert für Klavier und Bläser
4. Millenium Bridge, Wrocław
5. Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, Wrocław

Contratrombone64
Sep-16-2008, 06:00
Mat - I love your photos - they are fantastic.

Are you able to ascretain if that beautiful Cathedral in Wrocław has a pipe organ (it has to have) and a recording of said?

Mat
Sep-16-2008, 12:13
CT,

Note:
The organ was built in Hala Stulecia by Sauer, 1911-1913. But in 1950 it was removed to the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. (picture in my previous post)

Here (http://wroclawzwyboru.blox.pl/2008/07/Organy-w-Hali-Stulenia-posluchaj.html) you can find some pictures and info (only in Polish).

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_e_6Cp9aSU) you can find a video.

And here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=8Pu1AM-BxMQ) another video.

Yes, I know about your net nanny. But maybe you'll be able to watch it elsewhere.

And here's something all of you will understand:

Manuał I
Prinzipal 8'
Gemshorn 8'
Spitzflote 8'
Quinerflote 8'
Gedackt 8'
Flauto Dolce 8'
Quintaton 8'
Salicet 8'
Ged. Quinte 5 1/3'
Octave 4’
Gemshorn 4'
Octavflote 4'
Rohrflote 4'
Quinte 2 2/3'
Super Octave 2'
Spitzflote 2'
Scharff-Quinte 1 1/3'
Sedecima 1'
Quinmixtur III-IV
Mixtur III-IV
Scharff III
Trompete 16'
Trompete 8'
Clarino 4'
II/I
III/I
IV/I
V/I
I/I Super
II/I Super
III/I Super

Manuał II
Octave 4'
Octavflote 4'
Zartflote 4'
Quintaton 4'
Dolce 4'
Quinte 2 2/3'
Octave 2'
Waldflote 2'
Schweizerpfeife 1'
Sesquialtera II
Mixtur III
Zimbel III
Englischhorn 8'
Oboe 4'
Glockenspiele 8'
Tremulant
III/II
IV/II
V/II
II/II Super
III/II Super

Manuał III
Nachthorn 16'
Principal 8'
Gedackt 8'
Gamba 8'
Vox Celestis 8'
Ital. Principal 4'
Rohrflote 4'
Nasad 2 2/3'
Blockflote 2'
Terz 1 3/5'
Quintflote 1 1/3'
Sifflote 1'
Mixtur IV
Scharff IV
Rauschzimbel II
Vox Humana 8'
IV/III
V/III

Manuał IV
Principal 8'
Grossflote 8'
Gr. Octave 4'
Ged. Pommer 4'
Octavflote 4'
Octave 2'
Flachflote 2'
Nachthorn 1 1/3'
Gr. Mixtur IV-V
Trompete 16'
Basson 8'
Oboe 8'
Trompete 4'
Tremulant
Organy w prezbiterium
Principal 16'
Subbass 16'
Octavbass 8'
Octave 4'
Flautino 2'
V/IV
IV/IV Super

Manuał V
Bordun 16'
Prinzipal 8'
Gedackt 8'
Holz Gedackt 8'
Quintade 8'
Quintaton 8'
Schwebung 8'
Viola d'Amore 8'
Principal 4'
Flote 4'
Blockflote 4'
Rohrquinte 2 2/3'
Octave 2'
Octave 2'
Terz 1 3/5'
Super Quinte 1 1/3'
Septime 1 1/7'
Schwiegel 1'
Acuta II
Trompete 8'

Pedał
Prinzipal 32'
Kontra-Violon 32'
Prinzipal 16'
Kontrabass 16'
Violon 16'
Gemshorn 16'
Subbass 16'
Quintbass 10 2/3'
Octavbass 8'
Gedecktbass 8'
Gemshorn 8'
Flotebass 8'
Cello 8'
Quinte 5 1/3'
Octave 4'
Gemshorn 4'
Starkflote 4'
Octave 2'
Flachflote 2'
Sesquialtera II
Kornett IV-V
Mixtur IV
Bombard 16'
Posaune 16'
Trompete 8'
I/P
II/P
III/P
IV/P
V/P
P/P Super
IV/P Super

Corno Dolce
Sep-16-2008, 16:44
Thats a weird disposition of stops - No 16' foundation on the great? But three 32' in the pedal?

Krummhorn
Sep-16-2008, 17:12
Well, the first "ceremonial" pictures from my Nikon D40 are posted in the forum Gallery on this link:new pictures (http://www.magle.dk/music-forums/gallery/browseimages.php?c=12&userid=). Still getting used to this new machine, but very pleased with these first results. These were using the full automatic mode and the 18-55mm Nikkor lens.

Contratrombone64
Sep-18-2008, 01:27
*bows low and profoundly* @ krummiest

bravo, dear sir, wonderul

jamescliff
Oct-04-2008, 11:26

CT64

Hi CT64,

SLR Camera is good choice for photography.

Here are some advantages: :D

SLR cameras derive from viewing and focusing the image through the attached lens. Most other types of cameras do not have this function.The variety of lenses also allows for the camera to be used and adapted in many different situations.This provides the photographer with considerably more control (i.e., how the image is viewed and framed).:D

Thanx,

Contratrombone64
Oct-04-2008, 18:34
Hi James - welcome to the forum.

Your comments are spot on - I had done considerable research before purchasing my SLR and I couldn't be happier. I've posted some photos here, if you snoop around you'll find them.