Buying an SLR camera and need advice

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Well, my title says it all ... anyone who currently owns such a beast and can give me some basic advice would be wonderful.

CT64

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi CT64,

Are you seeking out a 35mm or digital, and/or are you a camera bug that wants to have the ability to change out lenses?

Judy,

Actually, there are some el-cheapo units that do a fair job of taking digital photos. I have a 1 MP resolution camera I use for portrait pics. Most of the pics I have posted in the gallery were taken using my mobile phone camera - only paid $59 for the phone.

methodistgirl

I know what you mean by el-cheepo. I bought a little webcam for about
12 dollars. You can't beat that with a stick. I would like to afford a
camera that is better someday.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Krummiest - yeah - I'm beginning to realise that the world's an oyster and the sky's the limit. I visited a Paxton's Camera Store yesterday and was quoted $X for an Olympus E510, with two lenses 14-42 and 40-150, plus a 1GB memory card, a circular polariser (whatever the hell that is) and a carry bad. All deemed to be must haves, and the cost $1350. I found the exact same camera on the web (shopbot.com.au) for about $200 cheaper. It does pay to shop around BUT as I'm only a passionate photographer and not a professional it would seem I have to do a lot more research on the topic.

For example, some (but not all) models come with "anti-wobble" software, understandable as the cameras themselves are heavy.

As to your question about 35mm or digital, who uses 35mm any more? Digital of course, then one can vet the photos before wasting money on prints. I know several professional photographers who have given up traditional film (must vex Kodak no end) and one or two who still swear by it.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
CT64,

I still use 35mm ... mainly for scenery (mountains, forests, vast spans of open space) as when processed as a colour transparency (slides) they so beautifully amplify the greatest depth of field when projected onto a screen.

I don't yet have a digital SLR, but have my eye on a Nikon D40 ... I like the option of having interchangeable lenses for different applications and more versatility.

Kodak will manage fine - they still provide endless celluloid for all the trashy films the movie studios seem to be turning out. :crazy:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Krummiest - ok - I see your persepctive. Funny, I was discussing the Nikon D40 yesterday with a colleague and she's also looking at that exact brand. I really need to buy a book about SLR cameras and really do some research BEFORE I buy.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Small world ... Nikon D40 looks like it has the features I want.

Sometimes in my research, I use the online version of Consumer Reports. Unfortunately, it requires an online membership to view past this splash page, but some useful information is on the "free" page for that link.

Looks like CR prefers the Nikon D80 ... my cousin in Michigan just got that model, and really likes it - the pics he has sent me are fantastic. Looks like that model prices (here) around 900 clams.

My prior 35mm SLR was a Chinon - paid $500 for the body, and another $700 for the 28mm - 75mm lens. Absolutely wonderful camera ... after 12 years, the flip mirror mechanism broke and, well, that was the end of that. Kept the lens, pitched the body - no repair/replacement parts available anywhere at any price ... bummers.

Very nice article on wikipedia that you posted ... :up:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
end of story: I finally decided to buy an Olympus E410 digital SLR + 14-42mm Zuiko Lens; SanDisk 2GB flash memory; Circular Polarising Filter, UV Filter and Carry Bag ... it'll turn up "in 3-4 business days". Can't WAIT.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Way Cool, CT64 ...

Did you ever find out what a Circular Polarising Filter is used for?

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Circular Polarising Filters are used if you're taking photos with bright sunlight and you want to maintain the integrity of your reds (aparently).

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Ok ... makes sense ... reds do have a tendency to wash out more than the other colours.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
It took 3.5 hours to charge the battery last night so, once it was finished, it was 9:30 pm which is my bed time, I did however set the date and time and then take the obligatory photo of my living room (not very exciting I'm afraid).

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Contra, after you have tamed the beast, we'd like to see some photos

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Mat - I took some remarkably nice photos of some not so typical Sydney scenes on the weekend ... including a photo of a statue of a cat named "Trim". Mathew Flinder's cat (one of our early explorers). Once I get my act together with downloading, I'll post them.

greatcyber

CT,
Glad you got your camera. We have a Canon Rebel Digital 340 with SLR. It takes beautiful pictures. We added a telephoto lens and the filter you spoke of a couple of years ago when we were in Toronto on holiday. We still have a 35mm that Joe has had for about 20 years and he took incredible pics with that. But it is soooo nice not to have to pay to develop and photos. Playing around with the software can be a bit trying, but it is well worth learning. Then you will become a master at making edits and airbrushing. Just think of the "flipper-boy" pics you can come up with!

We also have a Canon Mini DV that takes beautiful vids.

Just a tidbit...both of these digitals were one of the prizes I got from Sony when I was on the Wheel of Fortune 3 years ago. Together the cameras are valued at around $3500 USD. I wasn't the big winner on the show, but did come away with $10K, which more than covered the expenses for the trip out to LA.

Look forward to hearing how you are getting on with your new toy and seeing some pics.

Stephen

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
here are my photos at least three of them. Enjoy

Obviously the Opera House with Harbour Bridge behind (taken from a very unusual vantage point, one of the pathways in the Botanical Gardens). A statue of a founding father, with the eastern side of the city in the background. Saint Andrew's Anglican Cathedral.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Here are some more photos (that's enough).

Eastern side of the city (my favourite) from the Botanical Gardens. A fountain in Hyde Park (near St. Mary's Cathedral). The Queen Victoria Building.