• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Sound Card Suggestions???

greatcyber

Hello Everyone,
Since I am trying to put together a virtual pipe organ, sometimes my computer will give me the error message that I don't have enough SD RAM on my sound card. I am going to get more memory, but I think I would also like to upgrade my sound card...perhaps to an external one.

Here are my computer specs:
Dell XPS 1710 laptop
Intel 2 CUP T7600 @ 2.33 GHz (Dual Processors)
142 GB HD
2 GB Memory
SigmaTel HD Codec
SB Audigy Advanced MB

We had this laptop custom built in November 2007 with the idea in mind that I would be using it for multi-media, mainly making and editing movies.

Now, of course, I find that in addition to movies, I want this machine to be primarily for MIDI music (doesn't it figure?).

Does anyone have any suggestions for what type of soundcard might be best for using either MyOrgan or Hauptwerk? I will probably wind up purchasing Hauptwerk. I have looked at their specs and recommendations, but when it comes to soundcards, it is rather nebulous to me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hans0166

hi Greatcyber,

i'm a Hauptwerk user and started first with my soundblaster audigy2 zs pro, but the sound was nothing compared to the audio samples on the web.
A friend had a spare Focusrite Saffire, and gave it a try.
The sound improved by 100%
The instrument sounds as it is recorded.

It's not a cheap card, but when you can afford hauptwerk this is a good buy ( perhaps have a look at e-bay...)

greatcyber

Thank you, Hans, I will definitely look into it. I realize that I need to purchase a high end audio card. I was already thinking along the line of firewire.

Stephen

greatcyber

I sure wish we had gotten an apple when we had Dell build the laptop for us last year. Knowing that I wanted to do heavy multimedia, this laptop costs just under $5K! It is a great machine, but I don't think I would ever get another pc. When it's time to replace this, it's GOING to be an apple.

Stephen