Talk to the animals

methodistgirl

I believe animals are pretty understanding when you talk to them. There
are many of us musicians who are pet owners. I have had all kinds of
pets from the tiny mouse to the biggest and baddest dog in the neighborhood.
Right now I'm getting ready to purchase a hermit crab with better
knowledge than when I got one years ago. Right now my only pets are
my plants and they seem to understand for some reason. I would like
to hear your comments and pictures.
judy tooley

marval

Well they do say animals are intelligent and understand.

I don't have any pets, but I do know dogs can be trained to do all sorts of things.

Have you ever seen the film "Doctor Doolittle"? he talks to the animals.

Margaret

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Lets hope that we don't try to attribute animals with human aspects - let the animals be animals and love them for their intrinsic being.

Last edited:

marval

I so agree CD, one thing I don't like is when people dress their darling little pooches in clothes. And they colour them, all in the name of winning shows like Crufts. Give me Scruffs any day.

Margaret

Corno Dolce

Ms. Margaret,

My point exactly - when I see those poor cats, dogs, and other creatures being made a mockery of with all the frou-frou that their keepers insist on *clothing* them in - GAAAAAAAAH:scold::scold::scold::scold::scold::scold::scold: - Somebody please call the Humane Society. Seriously, its cruelty to animals and I want no part in or of it!!!!!!!

Last edited:

marval

I so agree, the owners only do it for themselves, no thought of the poor animal.

Margaret

methodistgirl

Watch out when you buy a pet. If you go to a pet store and the cages
and containers are too small don't buy any. Because overcrowding is
not healthy for the animals. Also watch out when buying a hermit crab.
Don't get one with the cute painted shells because the shells are toxic
for you and the crab. Get the crab a new natural shell and hope it
moves in. For one thing that is also being cruel to an animal. I watched
a video where somebody who was not a vet try and neuter a bunny
rabbit and I cried. It was horrible knowing that these little creatures
are for our enjoyment. Another word of advice don't go to Pet smart.
Their animals have been tampered with and are not healthy. I think
the E&L pets here is different. They are better with the animals and
they're taken care of. So be careful. I just hope Hawk will answer
this thread with his expertise.
judy tooley

Hawk Henries

Judy thanks for your comliment but I am no expert. I do have opinions though. I think I am in agreement with you,CD and Margaret. I love animals both those in the natural world and those that have been domesticated.
Of course animals are communicative ...when talking with the breeder of our two dogs she gave us a list of how a bernese mtn dog will assert its dominance over a person (or another dog).They will lightly step on your foot or lean against you trying to move you. They will stare at you. She advised NEVER let them win these dominance (behavioral) games. I really was not sure if I should believe her but soon after we got the puppy home this effort to communicate/assert its dominance began. They are natural behaviors.
I think that animals do understand when you talk to them. Our dogs and cats recognize when we are upset, respond to our questions to them about food or rides etc but I think much of this is learned behavior , they are responding to our behavior as well as pitch/tone /inflection of our voice. Odin Jara loves popcorn so when we have it he looks for his share. He gets excited when we spell the word or he hears the special pan coming out to cook popcorn in. He has learned to associate the behaviors related to the snack with getting some (pavlov anyone :)
My daughter has had a gift since a very young age of being able to interact with animals in the natural world. Sometimes she will sit and talk to birds or squirrels or insects and they often will come close to her or climb on her.
When she was about 5 she asked why the dragonflies were landing on the water. I advised her to ask them. When she did ask one flew close to her eyes and hovered for several seconds showing her an insect it had caught...

methodistgirl

Thank you Hawk. I just saw the cutest video of a hermit crab eating a
banana slice, changing it's shell, then back to the little salad fit for a
king crab. Pretty music with it too.
judy tooley

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Ms. Judy :tiphat:

At least cats have invented how to float:

Going to the spa for the following massage.

Cats even do magical tricks on occation beyond, what any two-legged can do.

You might even get some free advice from kittens on how to repair your car

...and when the car has been repaired, the shower is waiting

Cats do have one thing in common with the two legged, they love watching TV

Last edited:

marval

Many years ago, when my in-laws were alive they had a black cat, and he loved water.
They had to lock the bathroom door, or the cat would be in the bath with them. And if no-one was watching he could turn on the kitchen tap and lap the running water.

Margaret

Corno Dolce

That was one strange yet practical cat - It could even get itself water by opening a faucet.

Corno Dolce

Hi Ms. Margaret,

I think back to the day when my Siamese Cat was still with me when she first try to get water by herself and then she was on the side of the kitchen sink watching me do dishes - I had to get a pie out of the oven and then I turned around and saw how she deftly maneuvered the handle for to get cold water - fascinating.......

CD :):):):):):):)

marval

Yes, animals are very clever, and crafty.

My in-law's cat could quite easily jump up onto the fridge, or cupboard in the hall. But he would wait until someone was standing near and jump up on their back, using them as a springboard. Quite scary if you didn't know he was behind you.

Margaret