PDA

View Full Version : A Strange Critter...

Corno Dolce
Jul-11-2008, 10:48
Here is a real strange critter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:QuartertoneClarinet.jpg

After seeing this I'm glad that I learnt to play the Contrabass Trombone.

greatcyber
Jul-11-2008, 18:20
That looks like the offspring of inbreeding between a clarinet and a bassoon!

marval
Jul-11-2008, 18:53
Very strange, looks like you would need three hands to play it.

greatcyber
Jul-11-2008, 19:18
and maybe a prehensile tail!

marval
Jul-11-2008, 19:25
HaHa, could be

Krummhorn
Jul-12-2008, 19:39
Interesting looking instrument ... wondering why the need for a quarter-tone instrument ... are works written for such beasts, and are there other quarter-tone instruments besides the Clarinet?

One can adjust the tuning of most any wind blown instrument a quarter-tone at least ... right?

Corno Dolce
Jul-13-2008, 09:26
Hi Master Krummhorn,

Yes, one can adjust wind instruments a quarter-tone. With the 1/4 tone clarinet you are accessing more than 12 tones per octave. Here's a site with a quarter tone piano - just scroll down the page:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.h-pi.com/images/eopimages/keyboards/viertelton.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.h-pi.com/eop-keyboards.html&h=183&w=300&sz=5&hl=en&start=9&um=1&tbnid=8QVREPWrHldK6M:&tbnh=71&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Divan%2Bwyschnegradsky%26um%3D1%26hl%3 Den%26sa%3DN

Ivan Wyschnegradsky has written a few works for the 1/4 tone piano.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

Contratrombone64
Jul-14-2008, 00:42
As someone who plays the clarinet ... I just thought, erk, how clumsy.

Krummhorn
Jul-14-2008, 04:20
Thanks, CD, for that link of interesting keyboards.

Guess quarter tuning does have its place in history and practical use ... but for someone like myself with perfect pitch, I can just imagine how disruptive this would be to hear those quarter tones played along with natural, as we commonly know, pitches. It would be similar to fingernails scratching an old slate chalk board ... Eeeewewwewee

methodistgirl
Aug-04-2008, 03:22
I found something that is as beautiful as unique. Listen to this video.
YouTube - THE SOUND OF SILENCE Salterio by Fabio Sbrizzi of BIOnigT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xbfH5nmRvE&feature=related)
I cried when I heard and saw this instrument called a psalter or
hammered dulcimer.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64
Aug-04-2008, 04:00
the sound of silence - was enough to make me shoot off and make a cup of tea, but thanks for the link, Judy

methodistgirl
Aug-04-2008, 04:19
Wasn't that a beautiful instrument? It sounded like:angel: when he
played the song on it.
judy tooley

methodistgirl
Aug-05-2008, 21:37
The pipe organ can be incredibly beautiful and huge like the largest
one in the United States. They come in all sizes and are as classy
as a violin. But pipe organs are still what I call a normal instrument.
You see them in churches, concert halls, and even some shopping
malls like the one at Macy's. Believe me that is as close to a wood
wind that I can play beside a flute. Forget the sax, the clarinet,
and the oboe. My teeth are in too bad of shape for them. What
has me really interested are the very unusual instruments of
Europe and other parts of the world. The USA is stuck in a rut when
it comes to instruments. There are more than what you see in an
orchestra.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64
Aug-06-2008, 00:14
Judy, you might have a go playing the rackett. I've played one, great fun (sometimes called the rancket).

Corno Dolce
Aug-06-2008, 05:06
And that Ranquette sounds quite *rank* :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: its what the Germans call *Schnarrwerk*.

methodistgirl
Aug-06-2008, 05:23
I have heard of twelve string guitars but this one takes the cake. You
will love this video with a Bach piece played on it.YouTube - Göran Söllscher - J.S.Bach Lute Suite No.1 BWV996(1) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qCLYcKl2wY&feature=related)
judy tooley:guitar:

Contratrombone64
Aug-06-2008, 08:12
Judy, honey, it's a lute. Pure and simple. Nothing strange about it really. However, the gentleman playing said beast is a true magician, thanks for the link, it's a delight.

greatcyber
Aug-06-2008, 19:03
That was very pretty Judy. I enjoyed it.

Stephen

Sylvie Pacey
Aug-06-2008, 20:50
Thank you Judy, a great new link. I enjoyed listening and will return to site soon.When I was in Australia last year, I heard a lovely vietnamese lady in the market on the Gold coast. Always regretted I didn't buy a C.D. The sounds were so beautiful and with the sound of the ocean in the background, just heavenly.Sylvie

Contratrombone64
Aug-07-2008, 01:15
Sylvie, hi, where did you visit whilst in the great southern land?

Muza
Aug-07-2008, 04:15
very nice!

Sylvie Pacey
Aug-07-2008, 23:17
contratrombone. Stayed in Gordon mainly, visited Sydney and saw the Organ in St. Andrews Cathedral, sadly no one there to play it or tell me anything about it (this on a Sunday afternoon!!) Nor could I see or hear the great organ in the town hall there. All shut up and no information outside building. Loved Canberra and the Floriade. Spent week at Narooma , lovely coast and visited Bateman's bay.
Flew to Brisbane and motored to the Wildlife park. Stayed a week at Chevron Point on Gold coast. There didn't seem to be much music about in the malls and not many music shops that I could find.Wonderful country all around but not as many wild aninals as I expected probably due to the drought. Would have liked more time in Sydney but lucky to see all that I did. Sylvie

Sylvie Pacey
Aug-07-2008, 23:21
P.S from Sylvie to Contratrombone.. Happy Birthday!!

Contratrombone64
Aug-07-2008, 23:41
had you only been here before your trip I'd have gotten you access to both, never mind! The St. Andrew's Cathedral organ is wasted there, it's a wonderful four manual smaller brother to one in Town Hall. It's wasted because the Anglican diocese of Sydney is so low as to be almost born again (excepting at Christ Church St. Laurnce and a couple of other temples to high church practices).

Sylvie Pacey
Aug-08-2008, 09:58
contratrombonist, now I understand why the church was so empty, couldn't make it out as any Cathedral here in U.K has many people around. Wish I had known you could have helped. I doubt if I shall make another trip there, but you never kknow. Thanks anyway Sylvie