One expensive lamp

marval

icon8.gif
icon8.gif
icon8.gif

How about this for a lamp.

A rare Chinese vase worth £50,000 lost more than half its value after its owners drilled a hole in the base and turned it into a lamp, an auctioneer has said.
The 250-year-old Chinese porcelain is expected to fetch £20,000 when it goes under the hammer. Similar Qing Dynasty porcelain from this era is widely collected and similar single vases have sold for up to £50,000.
If its matching vase had not been lost, the undamaged pair would have been worth £250,000.

Oops.

Marval

greatcyber

I've done similar things, making lamps out of all kinds of items...but I don't think I could be THAT stupid!

Stephen

greatcyber

Yes, but ignorance is just that. About 20 years ago I inherited an East Lake Table that had a very dark finish. It was almost the color of blackened mahogany. I decided that it was too dark and refinished the top of it. It looked very beautiful when I was done but when a friend who was an antiques dealer saw it, he told me that I totally devalued it. He suggested that I have the color professionally restored to its original condition.

I never did and still have the table. It sits in our kitchen now. It has intricate carvings, oval leaves on each corner, Greek key designs engraved around the top, beautiful turned legs that end in hooves with the original metal wheels on the bottom.

Most people think it is still lovely. I'll take a pic later and add it to this post.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...so, whether or not I took a few thousand dollars off its worth, I still appreciate it. (smirk)

Stephen

marval

I see programmes about antiques, people often do things to them, not realising they are worth something. Still, I am sure you enjoy the table whatever.

Margaret

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
I didn't see the picture (it wouldn't load) but to "go under the hammer" is not the best phrase to describe the situation, I guess:nut::nut::nut:. LOL:lol:

marval

There wasn't a picture Mat, just the article. But not under the hammer for sure.

Margaret

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I've seen a clarinet converted into a lamp stand ... was quite ugly, but the clarinetist who owned it thought differently.

marval

Sorry CD I couldn't access it, it says I don't have permission.

I'll try another way.

Margaret

marval

Hi Mat

Wow, that is one different lamp. Judy would like that I think, as she plays the guitar.

Definately one for a musician.

Margaret

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Yeah, I suppose you're right.

Now I'm looking for the 'oboe lamp'.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Thank you for the link, Margaret.

The oboe lamp is great. Too bad it costs $170...