Neil Young Band - Live in Concert , July 5 2008

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
The 62 year old Canadian Neil Young made this years The Roskilde Music Festival, Denmark the best Festival ever for the past 30 years of individual music festivals in Roskilde, Denmark, according to the entire group of danish rock music reviewers, also because of the extremely well danish summer on that night.

On a warm saturday night with next to no winds at 21:30 PM Neil Young and his band entered the ORANGE STAGE at the Roskilde Music Festival for his seventh performance, shouting for the welcome in the mike to the 85.000 rocking people in the crowd in front of the ORANGE STAGE:

"The Roskilde Music Festival Rocks. It is the very best rock festival in the whole world", of course receiving a ten minutes standing applause from the 85.000 of the party-happy audience at the outdoors concert, one of many during the 24/7 concerts for three days and nights from 7 different stages playing various music of rock/rap/House/hip-hop/techno-pop, R&B/blues - whatever style of contemporary music, which is IN at the moment played by mostly youngsters in bands, we will listen to through the radio or the Ipod in the years to come, and some more prestigious bands, already competing on every music poll in the world, you can imagine, who for some of them, including a lot of new danish bands, had their debut at Roskilde years ago - for some, even decades ago.

International bands like U2, Radiohead, Genesis, R.E.M. Green Day, The Who, Santana, Aqua, Metallica (with the danish drummer Lars Ulrich), Safri Duo, Jean Michel Jarre, A-Ha, Tina Turner, David Bowie, Annie Lennox and hundreds of other bands from the entire world, for some of them have made their debut at the Roskilde Music Festival during one long weekend from thursday to sunday in the early July for 30 years, and most of them have been back years later - like Neil Young on July 5 - for the seventh time.

The Canadian sing & song writer Neil Young, an old musical relationship to me from the long gone days of the WOODSTOCK Festival, up state New York, USA in 1969 where his three friends David Crosby, Steven Stills (both Americans) and the english Graham Nash (former with the pop group The Hollies) contributed to this event - three days of anti-violence, love and peace concerts for around 300.000 people.

Neil Young at Roskilde 2008 with his very high fragily voice and his acoustic guitar, can make anyone weep like a baby or feel ready for some hardcore romancing with the one and only, of course albums by Neil Young like "Harwest" and "After The Gold Rush" come to mind, with that equally prestigious rock band the Crazy Horse to back him.

Neil Young, who by most record labels throughout his entire musical career have "credited" him for being impossible to deal with. In other words, no one decides as a producer for Neil Young. The number of albums and different recording labels, might have been a part of the Guinness Book of Records.

The concert almost playing 1 hour and 45 minutes with room for the encore as well ROCKED, more than I can remember from another Rock concert, I´ve had the luck to attend. But then it´s pobably twenty years ago or so, and Neil Young both smiling and applauding toward the audience - made this night, one of these completely unexpected nights, I was not even supposed to be there at all, where everything turned in to something no one can nor could possibly anticipate. I will remember this particular concert with a very direct, but at all times Rockin 62 years old Neil Yong and band - for years to come.

Like very good expensive red wine, Neil Young seems to get better and better. His new edition of the old Bob Dylan song - All Along The Watchtower, made famous by Jimi Hendrix 40 years ago, made the entire audience yeld for more, more, more. The total surprice for the encore came, when Neil Young and the hardpumping Rockin´ backing band began the first notes of the old song by the Beatles from the Sgt. Pepper album - A Day In The Life. Thank God there was no roof above us all.

You may label me for being addicted to musical nostalgia, but then the entire concert with Neil Young and his faithful band according to the danish musical media on July 6 - has been moved in to the history of faboulos rock music performed in Denmark.

Last edited:

marval

Hi Intet

That sounds very interesting, there is nothing wrong with music nostalgia.

Welcome back by the way, just a few days and we missed you.

Glad all went well.

Margaret

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Hi Intet

That sounds very interesting, there is nothing wrong with music nostalgia.

Welcome back by the way, just a few days and we missed you.

Glad all went well.

Margaret

Thank you Ms. Margaret :tiphat: Goes two ways!!

Rediculous as always with my old school buddy Rene´, who has lived in the same part of Denmark as I for more than twenty years, but non of us ever knew until spring 2008. In his words leaving by train for the Copenhagen Jazz Festival 2008: Plans are made to be changed!!

So we stopped at Roskilde, like the most natural thing :rolleyes: after I carefully had planned everything in front of the Jazz Festival in Copenhagen, which was the main goal - for me at least. :rolleyes::grin: So with our backpacks, 25 kilometers before Copenhagen Central Railroad Station, we left the train to meet a friend of Rene´, who turned out to be a rock music reviewer for a huge danish news paper. Both Rene´ and I got inside the festival without paying, because we were with him the reviewer - the local danish VIP. AWESOME!! I still have the bracelet on my wrist given to all of the audience at the entrance.

Here´s a link to Neil Young:

http://www.roskildefestival.dk/2008/frontpage/system/bands/singleband/neil-young/

I have close to a hundred lose handwritten notes done during concerts of jazz throughout nine days, from which I will embrace my friendly co-jazz freaks with in the following days. Though I might be gone again in a few days.

The danish team at the Tour de France CSC are doing very well, and I have always wanted to be a part of this yearly circus in France - the most prestigious bicycling event. I love sports that takes the individual to break his or her own physical and mentally borders, any achievements over a long time and distances whether Marathon swimming or events like Le Tour are much more up my alley than soccer or weights.

Of course the spredding of the drugs and the recent epo devastating for the sport itself for years, but it seems they finally are achieving what they began years ago, and less individuals have been courght this year than the last 15 years.

I am looking forward though, to get back to our Poem thread. But as mentioned, if I can find driving possisibility to go to France - in a New York minute, I will go, and then in the beginning of August, I will visit my girl friend in Florence, Italy.

Last edited:

marval

Hi Intet

I was in France, some years ago, with my husband and my parents.

We watched some of the Tour de France, it was very good. I admire their stamina. So I hope you are able to go and support your Danish team.

Margaret

intet_at_tabe

Hi Intet

... We watched some of the Tour de France, it was very good. I admire their stamina. So I hope you are able to go and support your Danish team.

Margaret

Awesome Ms. Margaret :tiphat::clap:

This year 2008 so far has been so amazing and different from anything I used to be, which means not realy working any more, but life brings other and mostly completely new activities in my second chance in my life, like for instance the MIMF, where I entered on January 1. The only regular job, I have done during spring time mostly as a test of my capeability to actually work ended July 1, and the cutting the lawn for my neighbours has shown to be a step-stone activity, so I had no problems achieving someone else to organize this help for the elderly and the disabled people, who also live around here. He has had the key to my electric grass cutting machine - so no problems for me according to my regular "clients" going away to Copenhagen and Roskilde.

So you have already been there at the Tour de France. France as a country is very beautiful and I love the cheese, like the brie, you can buy anywhere in France mixed with a bottle of very good french red wine - sitting on the side of a local main street in a cafe´ bathed in sunshine among the locals talking with their arms and hands too - that´s life.

The key for any travelar to implement abroad is to leave your own culture, politics and religion at home. Respect you are a guest and a representative for your own country being abroad. In particular with the very nationalistic french population, who still live on the past time glory of major citizens and military strategists like Napoleon Bonaparte and former Presidents Charles de Gaule and Mitterand.

The danish idol in recent years due to Le Tour was and is Mr. Bjarne Riis, who as the only Dane in the history of Le Tour in 1996, I believe, won the almost three weeks of the Tour de France at Le Grande Finale in Paris, driving around the Bow of Triumph 12 times or so. My favourite part of the whole event are the mountains both in the Pyranees in Spain and the Alphes in France. Yesterday they all "climbed" the mountain Col du Tourmale, way above 2000 meters a very famous mountain due to Le Tour, very steep at times more than 8 percent, and it´s here the lams are parted from the sheep. You may be in the lead as number one before the mountains, but then everything will turn around and there will always be one or two completely new bicycling "stars" to follow.

When Bjarne Riis finished his active career on the bike, he replaced it with becomming sports director of his own "dream team" entitled after the head sponsor company CSC. At one time he even had a contract with another idol Miguel Endurain (Spain) and later Mr. Bjarne Riis convinced the incredible Lance Armstrong (the US Postel Team) to come to Denmark and do a city race. Lance Armstrong strong as a mountain on a bike won Le Tour de France seven times.

About Roskilde and Neil Young, somehow I felt beamed back in time, though the audience at the concert had many more young people, than I would have thought because of the age of Neil Young, but the younger generation at the spot who also on this saturday night enjoyed Neil Young, both his acoustic guitar part and his singing with no band to back him, and then the electric part with two "screaming" rock guitars leaving the entire audience rockin`. Thousands of candle lights raised in the not that dark danish summer night ended this part of Roskilde 2008, at least for Rene´ and me heading for Copenhagen the next day.

The taking handwritten notes thing, must be a typical thing for me. I have always done it when working abroad or watching a concert or a movie at times, or being an adult spectator or a student at a lecture. Great for anyone to remember what actually happend, what was good or not good, but mostly key words to remind myself of such happy events. Of course the idea of going for Le Tour returning to Jutland where I live came while at Roskilde from my soul mate Rene´. The man of many sudden inspirations.

Check the link and you will find some info and pictures of the ORANGE stage at Roskilde 2008:

http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/2008/frontpage/specialmenu/for_the_media/background/

Last edited:

marval

Hi Intet

Taking handwritten notes is a good idea, they stay with you to look at if you can't remember something.

I looked at the link to the festival, very interesting. I like the fact that is a charity event, that is good.

Margaret

intet_at_tabe

Hi Intet

Taking handwritten notes is a good idea, they stay with you to look at if you can't remember something.

I looked at the link to the festival, very interesting. I like the fact that is a charity event, that is good.

Margaret

Hi again Ms. Margaret :tiphat:

Sorry for not answering you, I was occupied entering all my reviews from the jazz concerts I attended, but it has been done and then we seem to have given rebirth to the victimised thread - What jazz have you been listening to today, initiated by Ms. rojo.

Check in on this link below please and you will see a Danish site about another charity festival of rock, rap, house, techno-pop music etc.etc., to be launched almost outside my own door around the July 20, sorry the texture is only in Danish:

http://www.groenkoncert.dk/quiz.html

In the top right corner, you´ll see a map of Denmark, find the spot most to the top (the north) of the map, it´s called Aalborg, I live just across the water to the north in the smaller city of Nørresundby in Himmerland, which we locally for this part of Denmark call Himmerland in the northern Jutland, Denmark. When people who have lived here for generations begin to talk in their own dialect, I don´t get 20 percent of what they are saying. Both my former wives used this dialect, whenever I did something wrong. They have a lot of unknown for most of the Danes local swearing words in this dialect, which do not make any sense to outsiders, which I still am becuase, I was born on Devils Island (the name in this northern dialect for the island Sjælland, where Copenhagen is our common capitol).

This kind of festival only for one day from 12:30 PM to 10 PM, shows the top selling bands in Denmark, with only danish musicians and groups in various styles of music - the most popular bands among youngsters.

The great thing about this festival called "Green concerts" - has to do with both the invironment, but funny the biggest beer-brewery in Denmark Tuborg Beer, sponsor these concerts in Denmark, where you on the map can see the different marked spots for the cities, because their biggest sellar of beer is called Green Tuborg, long before these concerts, and since there here too are a lot of economical sonsors, Tuborg Beer is but one.

The greatest thing though is that the whole idea of making these Green concerts of only one day for ordinary youngsters to present the top of the pops, so to speak was initiated by an organisation for the disabled called: The Foundation Against Progressive Muscular Atrophy - in danish: Muskelsvindfonden.

This organisation receives the economical surplus from all these diferent cities from the entry fees, where the Green Concerts will appear, and all the groups presented in one part of Denmark, will travel to the next city to do the same show. So everyone involved receive a part of the carrot (Danish expression).

But these concerts are for all people´in the northern Jutland, including a lot of volunters - service people and guards as well (but not the Danish police), to make sure than eveything evolves peacefully, that there are no drugs sales or that boys and girls equals teenagers, do not get too drunk during the day or fall to the ground because of a heat attack, beause they forget to dring lots of water.

I don´t realy have to go there to be able to listen to the music. Is so loud during the day, with soundcheck from early in the AM at 04. All I have to do is open my windows - but then I will go there anyway, because it´s a good case to support, and there are unfortunately not much to do for youngsters around here in their spare time, if they do not play soccer, table ternnis or belong to a club for swimmers. We have four different clubs for swimmers around here, exclusive the club for disabled swimmers.

Just thought, I wanted to show you another music festival driven on charity and emphasizing Green invironmentalt rules for Denmark at the same time. It´s like a traveling circus, but I do admire the people and the Foundation who started it all, because they never leave any visible garbage at all in the aftermath after 30.000 youngsters having the time of their lives - in one day, listening to the top of the pops of popular danish rock etc. etc.

The TOP Rock band also for me as a 54 years old man is the band D.A.D. - the very best live performers of heavy rock music, you can imagine. Originally the name of the band was: Disneyland After Dark.

But the Disney Corporation in the USA, did not enjoy that a Danish hardcore heavy rock band copied this name (15 years ago) - Disneyland, so all the way from the USA, they threatend to take this whole matter of using the Disneyland name for a heavy rock band, to court.

So the band just changed the name Disneyland After Dark to D.A.D. - and we all laughed at the former threat.

Btw. I have given up the idea of going to France to join the traveling Tour de France circus, perhaps next year. The issue here is one difinately needs a sober chauffeur, who also has legal access to a car.

Well, as you know Ms. Margaret - We can´t win them all.

Last edited: