• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

the "largest" organ in China

methodistgirl

I have seen this video before. Isn't it amazing though? I'm still
partial with the one at my church. I get to see it everytime I'm there.
judy tooley

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Beautiful ... 121 ranks, 88 voices ... built by Rieger Orgelblau in 2005.
The stoplist can be viewed from the Reiger Orgelblau site.
Click on "organs" at the top right, then click on "ctry" to resort the list by country, then scroll down to about the 22nd entry, and click on "Schanghai Oriental Art Center" ... voila.

It's also listed on Martin Doering's site, but requires a paid subscription to view .. :crazy:

Last edited:

greatcyber

That was really very cool. Here's an organ that I got to play once.
1526603467081821592gbxcDk

To hear it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9tBGEFfvbzc

Stephen

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1526603467081821592gbxcDk (picture close up)

Last edited:

Soubasse

Finally got around to viewing this and what a marvelous clip, thanks CT. The commentary was a bit OTT in places, but the overall look at the construction and especially the detail about the remote console was great to see. Even on the computer speakers, it sounded quite fine.

It took me a long time to get used to Rieger because for years, I'd only had the Festival Theatre one here to go by and that one sounds dreadful. You have to work quite hard to get it sounding acceptable for a lot of the repertoire. So either Rieger have improved their voicing over time or the one they built here was a lemon.

My favourite Rieger was in St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh, which is very easy to play, fills the building extremely well and sounds wonderful doing so. There is a YT clip here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1AhUQyxRnc (not me) but the camera mic does it no justice unfortunately.

Looks as though a visit to Shanghai will be on the books now!