True believers are murderers, according to some

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Considering the pope is in Sydney at present I did some research on the Catholic church and it's views on other religions, not very endearing ...

Indigenous American beliefs

While visiting Brazil in May 2007, "the pope sparked controversy by saying that native populations had been 'silently longing' for the Christian faith brought to South America by colonizers."[84] The Pope continued, stating that "the proclamation of Jesus and of his Gospel did not at any point involve an alienation of the pre-Columbus cultures, nor was it the imposition of a foreign culture."[84] President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela demanded an apology, and an indigenous organization in Ecuador issued a response which stated that "representatives of the Catholic Church of those times, with honorable exceptions, were accomplices, deceivers and beneficiaries of one of the most horrific genocides of all humanity."[84] Later, the pope, speaking Italian, said at a weekly audience that it was "not possible to forget the suffering and the injustices inflicted by colonizers against the indigenous population, whose fundamental human rights were often trampled."[85]

raymondo30837

Hi M8, Not enlightening, but obvious. This is what you can expect. However. All religion is man made and we all know how corrupt man is. Just a thought(mine) Regards Raymond:cool::cool::cool::cool:

methodistgirl

The Catholic church used to be vicious years ago. I'm not catholic
myself. This methodistgirl is protestant. The Methodist church is different.
There is one protestant church that used to be rough and that's the Baptist
or there wouldn't have been slavery.
judy tooley

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Religion has been good and bad for different reasons and, different people, but perhaps it has nearly run its course as science is gradually putting forward theories that seem (at least to many) to make more sense.
I do think that the intelligent design people are on the back foot they just don't realise it.

Andrew Roussak

Religion has been good and bad for different reasons and, different people, but perhaps it has nearly run its course as science is gradually putting forward theories that seem (at least to many) to make more sense.
I do think that the intelligent design people are on the back foot they just don't realise it.

I am so sorry you have just stumbled on such an absolutely unintillegent person as myself.

Concerning the history of colonisation of South America - I don't excuse the methods of Conquistadors. Btw - any moral estimations based on a moral of XXth C are simply unappliable to the events happened in the XVI C. People have burned the witches not because they were more cruel, or more blood-thirsty than they are today. They simply REALLY believed that the witches brought mischief and were the sources of evil. If we still believed it now, we would obviously do the same.

As for the remarks of mr. Hugo Chavez goes, I am not sure if it were somewhat better should aztecs and incs colonise Europe , especially concerning their nice cult of human sacrifices.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
As much as I love science and use it as a tool to discover and analyse Astronomical phenomena I must firmly denounce science as a belief system - Atheist Scientism Is Rational Satanism!!!

JHC

I am so sorry you have just stumbled on such an absolutely unintillegent person as myself..

I do not understand you comment to my quoted post, could you enlighten?

As much as I love science and use it as a tool to discover and analyse Astronomical phenomena I must firmly denounce science as a belief system - Atheist Scientism Is Rational Satanism!!!

Science has never been a belief system, any sort of theism is simplistic and can be dangerous, Science is not infallible but it attempts to provide proof through observation.

Andrew Roussak

Dear J.H.C. - I see now you are a new member on MIMF, so you simply can't be aware that the discussion on the same topic had already taken place here.

Please take a look , if interested -

http://www.magle.dk/music-forums/4201-controversial-book.html

It was a pretty long one, leading - as almost always in such cases - to nothing, I guess none of the sides had changed its opinion as the topic was closed....

Science has never been a belief system,...

...and , for what it's worth - have you ever heard of scientology?

any sort of theism is simplistic and can be dangerous,

...if you are serious about that and if you mean that an atheistic world view is not simplistic and can not be dangerous - please think USSR and maoistic China.

Regards,
Andrew

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Hallo Andrew,

You latest post on this thread was spot on!!! Herzlichen dank mein bruder :)

Tschüß,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

JHC

Sad to say but science can very much be a belief system - case closed!

Such as ?? Sorry you want the case closed, there’s an open mind:eek:

...and , for what it's worth - have you ever heard of scientology?
Yes, The Church?? If so are you saying that scientology is science?? How do you come to that conclusion?

...if you are serious about that and if you mean that an atheistic world view is not simplistic and can not be dangerous - please think USSR and maoistic China.
No I mean that:
"any sort of theism is simplistic and can be dangerous,"

I won,t slam the door:):)

Corno Dolce

Hi J.H.C.

I can always entertain differing opinions and always will. That doesn't mean to say that I agree with the opinions but I can be empathetic towards the person who uttered the opinion without ever being condescending towards that person.

I will encourage you to not be so quick to the draw by sarcastically saying that I have an *open mind*. I find that quite unbecoming in a forum with the caliber this one has.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce :):):)

Andrew Roussak

To J.H.S-

ok, man, let us clear it up, if you want.:)

You are saying -

Science has never been a belief system,...

So, the scientology is a pseudo-religion based on the scientific ( well, rather on a pseudo-scientific ) knowledge. Right? I think so. You have even named it the Church yourself. This is an example - a bit simplified maybe, but it was not me who had brought out that crazy sect - of how THE SCIENCE may become A BELIEF SYSTEM. And a pretty ugly one, may I add, due to its totalitarian essence. Okay?

If you meant anything different , or if I misunderstood you, let us simply regard this as a battle of words and close the subject . Scientology itself is not worth for me another two minutes needed to discuss it.

Regards, take it easy ;);)
Andrew

Andrew Roussak

Hi J.H.S,

to your another quote

No I mean that:
"any sort of theism is simplistic and can be dangerous,"

good, I don't know exactly what do you mean or meant by that. The history of a mankind concentrated in one sentence - mmmmmmmm...Is it all really that simple?
As far as I know, the world view can be only theistic or atheistic, right? No idea about any third opportunity. So, I have simply supposed you are saying that if theism, and any sort of it, is simplistic and can be dangerous, then the atheistic world view does somewhat better. All examples of atheistic world view and the ideology based on it - known to me - are pretty close tied to communistic totalitarian regimes . I can name no other examples , seriously. Or let me know if you know any.

JHC

Corno Dolce
When anyone says, Quote “case closed!” this normally indicates that as far as they are concerned they have said and heard all they are prepared to on that particular subject. Hence my comment indicating that you did not have an open mind. This was meant to be humorous I am sorry if it caused offence. :)

Andrew Roussak
My statement “Science has never been a belief system,.”

Your reply “...and , for what it's worth - have you ever heard of scientology?”

The way this was worded indicates that you are classing Scientology as science, I now assume that this is not what you intended to infer. OK that clears that up. :)
Regarding your post #14,
Theists and Atheists believe they are right and the other wrong this only leads to trouble as we have seen repeatedly in the past, I realise that one relies on faith whereas the other relies on a lack of proof of the other. I have been both in my lifetime but eventually realised that either one could be right or wrong, so, there is a third way and if I am right this has acquired the label “Free Thinkers” I do not like the name but it will have to do.
IMHO if we can get away from God/Religion and instead think of the Cosmos as either created or just plain happening, then we are starting to mature.
[I am avoiding cosmology terminology] I am not very good at long words. :grin::grin:

Corno Dolce

Hi J.H.C.

There was no offence taken so no probs there, mate :D:D:D

Be thee well dear colleague,

CD :):):)

JLS

Sad to say but science can very much be a belief system - case closed!

Science is a family of epistemic methodologies, corno. It has nothing to do with faith-based beliefs. Anyone who is claiming to adhere to a faith-based belief system is not practicing science and science is therefore not involved, regardless of the language they use(be it scientific jargon or not).

:smirk:

Andrew Roussak said:
As for the remarks of mr. Hugo Chavez goes, I am not sure if it were somewhat better should aztecs and incs colonise Europe , especially concerning their nice cult of human sacrifices.

Andrew...you can't actually be defending genocide based on your personal assumption that one of the massacred cultures could have possibly done the same thing given the chance. The pope's comments are akin to a victorious Hitler visiting Auschwitz and declaring that the Jews were asking for it.

:rolleyes:

Andrew Roussak

Hi JLS -

Andrew...you can't actually be defending genocide based on your personal assumption that one of the massacred cultures could have possibly done the same thing given the chance. The pope's comments are akin to a victorious Hitler visiting Auschwitz and declaring that the Jews were asking for it.

Not sure it was exactly my point. The colonisation of South America and the Hexenhammer were at the same period of time. Of course, it was the Inquisiton who started to burn women for being witches. But the fact is - the crowd, all those people gathered on the spot to see the execution did really believe, that THIS woman - exactly THIS one - had a direct tie to devil. And that's why the Hexenhammer was possible.
The Conquistadors living in XIV C. could not have the mentality of the XXI C, I guess . Genocide, as a term , is out of place here - genocide is smth. based on a racial/ethnic hatred, I don't think Cortez acted on this basis. I guess his reasons were likely economical, and the society of the XIV C. simply thought of such things as of a norm.

Well, okay, you might find the parallel to the Third Reich once again - nazis did it, society silently allowed....So, maybe it comes to that battle of words once again. Still, I don't see, which sense does it make, to speak of the events of XVI C in terms of today .

If you mean I want to argue with the statement "true believers can be murderers" - in no way, only think of 9/11....

Regards,
Andrew

JLS

Hi JLS -

Not sure it was exactly my point. The colonisation of South America and the Hexenhammer were at the same period of time. Of course, it was the Inquisiton who started to burn women for being witches. But the fact is - the crowd, all those people gathered on the spot to see the execution did really believe, that THIS woman - exactly THIS one - had a direct tie to devil. And that's why the Hexenhammer was possible.

I'm interested in why you draw a parallel, here, but I don't quite see your point. If it is only that the church committed atrocities at home as well as abroad, of course the facts tell us as much. I suspect you mean more...

The Conquistadors living in XIV C. could not have the mentality of the XXI C, I guess . Genocide, as a term , is out of place here - genocide is smth. based on a racial/ethnic hatred, I don't think Cortez acted on this basis. I guess his reasons were likely economical, and the society of the XIV C. simply thought of such things as of a norm.
Yes, the term "genocide" was coined in the years following WWII. That doesn't mean it can't refer to acts committed prior to its inception. Are you claiming that nothing prior to the 1940's can be considered genocide simply because the word hadn't been invented yet? Are you also claiming that there were no trees prior to the inception of the word "tree"? The word "genocide" refers to a specific act, regardless of where or when is was committed.

Also, genocide can be committed for any number of reasons. Hatred is not a necessary condition for it. It can, and has been, done for economic reasons among others.

Well, okay, you might find the parallel to the Third Reich once again - nazis did it, society silently allowed....So, maybe it comes to that battle of words once again. Still, I don't see, which sense does it make, to speak of the events of XVI C in terms of today .
What terms should we use to speak of it, then? Would you prefer I use Olde English? :confused:

In any case, my point in mentioning Hitler was not to make an analogy between the genocide in the Americas and the Holocaust, but to show just how atrocious the pope's comments were. How do you feel about Hitler saying that his victims were asking for it and do you see that the pope's comments were similar?

Andrew Roussak

I'm interested in why you draw a parallel, here, but I don't quite see your point. If it is only that the church committed atrocities at home as well as abroad, of course the facts tell us as much. I suspect you mean more...

JLS , if you don't see what I mean - no probs, another example. In 2003, Colin Powell had made a report on the UN session, drawing Saddam as an embodiment of evil. The report included the evidences of Saddam having WMD, and links to Al Kaeda, and it all sounded very convincing - not for me only, I guess. So, many people said YES to the invasion in a sovereign state, although they knew exactly what the war would bring to its civilians. But, they saw the invasion as a better solution for the world, and that this way would be better for Iraqis themselves in the long run.
Now - after a couple of years only - we know that the evidences the Powell presented were a fake, and that the real goals of Bush were all other than the things proclaimed. Well, it is not relevant here. What I want to say - the society had in this case said YES to the agression, because people BELIEVED in Bush's good intentions.
In the case of the Hexenhammer - people needed literally centuries to understand, that there were no witches around. You may want to read Luther - demons, witches and devil were for the people of the XVI C the same real as the internet for us. To demonise ONLY the church for it is wrong - the church were the people, and these people were the part of their contemporary society, having the same superstitions as the rest.

Yes, the term "genocide" was coined in the years following WWII. That doesn't mean it can't refer to acts committed prior to its inception. Are you claiming that nothing prior to the 1940's can be considered genocide simply because the word hadn't been invented yet? Are you also claiming that there were no trees prior to the inception of the word "tree"? The word "genocide" refers to a specific act, regardless of where or when is was committed.

Also, genocide can be committed for any number of reasons. Hatred is not a necessary condition for it. It can, and has been, done for economic reasons among others.

JLS, I would rather not reduce the matter to a simple misunderstanding. If you say genocide is any mass murder of civilians, so be it. I did always understand this term as the mass murder made on the basis of the racial or ethnic hatred - the way nazis did it, or Saddam did in Kurdistan - without any other visible reasons. Aimless, without any exclusion . So, I don't think Cortez had any reasons to hate the ethnical groups he had never heard of. I don't pretend to know everything about the history of colonisation, but I think his reasons were rather economical - more about gold of Aztecs, or like. Mass murder stays mass murder - that's true. But in this case you would need another term for wiping out the nations on the racial/ethnic basis - or you can describe any act of war as genocide then. I am not that picky on this term, though - maybe you are right on it.

In any case, my point in mentioning Hitler was not to make an analogy between the genocide in the Americas and the Holocaust, but to show just how atrocious the pope's comments were. How do you feel about Hitler saying that his victims were asking for it and do you see that the pope's comments were similar?

Well, I could not get to the whole speech of pope through the links in the post of CT64 ( sorry ! ).
All these links led me to the wikipedia page on pope, or Chavez etc. So, I can only judge on the quotations CT had posted.
Maybe I am wrong about the true context of the pope's words - but if you want to know what I think of the things posted -

While visiting Brazil in May 2007, "the pope sparked controversy by saying that native populations had been 'silently longing' for the Christian faith brought to South America by colonizers."[84] The Pope continued, stating that "the proclamation of Jesus and of his Gospel did not at any point involve an alienation of the pre-Columbus cultures, nor was it the imposition of a foreign culture."[84] President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela demanded an apology, and an indigenous organization in Ecuador issued a response which stated that "representatives of the Catholic Church of those times, with honorable exceptions, were accomplices, deceivers and beneficiaries of one of the most horrific genocides of all humanity."[84] Later, the pope, speaking Italian, said at a weekly audience that it was "not possible to forget the suffering and the injustices inflicted by colonizers against the indigenous population, whose fundamental human rights were often trampled."[85]

I surely don't understand how Aztecs could be silently longing for the religion they had never heard of. If pope had meant they were longing to be massacred by Cortez - well, then his words were cynical.
But, concerning that catholic church had officially condemned the inquisition ( to my knowledge ) - I don't think it was the real context. The pope had likely meant that the catholicism - an official religion of South America today - is, or was better than the mayan/incan cult demanding human sacrifices as an inalienable part of the ritual service - if THIS was the context, then I agree with it by all means.

In any case, my point in mentioning Hitler was not to make an analogy between the genocide in the Americas and the Holocaust, but to show just how atrocious the pope's comments were. How do you feel about Hitler saying that his victims were asking for it and do you see that the pope's comments were similar

So, to your parallel to Hitler - I know what you mean by that, and maybe - you are right - pope should have used another expression. The certain similarity is indeed obvious. Still -

- Hitler was personally responsible for the holocaust.
- Hitler was the head of NSDAP, and there were no "good" nazis, because the holocaust was an inalieble part of their doctrine.
- Hitler did exactly knew what he meant with his words, and his action had proved it.

Now:

- The pope is not personally responsible for the actions of Cortez, or inquisition, or even of those of catholic church of the XVI C. As mentioned, I believe it was officially condemned. I don't belong to catholic church myself - you may want to correct me on this point, if you know that the church did not make it.
- Neither inquisition, nor even catholic church do in no way represent all Christianity.
- Once again - I am not sure about the true context of those word's of pope here, but if the posted quotation is the MOST CRIMINAL passage of the whole speech - I find the reaction of Hugo Chavez inadequate . I don't see any attempt to demonize the prechristian cultures in the words of pope anyway.

So - no, sorry, I don't see it is quite the same.

Last edited: