Guessing competition ...

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
This is a little unfair, as only people from Australia (or at least those that went to school here (primary school specificall)) will know the product

The label claims that it: "sticks quickly," "cannot spill," and is "non toxic" (all admirable features for a xxxx). Nothing on there about taste. Even so, every class in every school had a kid (or kids) who scored big points by being able to eat significant quantities of the sticky white almondy substance.

Anyone guess what this iconic little Aussie product is? (think pink ...)

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Here's something uniquely Australian:

What is the english translation for *Wollongong*?

CT64 and Soubasse should know this - so really they shouldn't answer right away.

methodistgirl

Does anyone know how to get rid of sticky grease on the cooking stove?
I have used everything from Dawn to Comet and it won't come off after I
cook something in oil.
judy tooley

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi CT64,

I'll save you and everyone else the research experience. According to an acquaintance it means *Place By The Mighty Waters*.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Mighty Waters indeed - a good description of the oceans off Wollongong's coast for sure!! I think it's the Tasman Sea but it could be the Pacific Ocean ... it's a fine line between which it is and I can't remember.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
further on the name Wollongong ... almost all (east coast aboriginal words++) aboriginal words with an "ong" sound have something to do with water, as "ong" is an indicator of things aquatic. Hence, billabong (big puddle).

++ I'm no linguist and no expert on native Australian dialects but ... the main Aboriginal words that we use are infact those that the first colonial settlers heard in what is now called Sydney. I remember reading about them travelling on the expeditions and being puzzled that other tribes didn't use "kangaroo" for that animal and used an entirely different word. This is not really surprising as the Aboriginal languages are all totally different and have no written (indigenous) format. One tribesman/tribeswoman was in capable of communicating with someone from a far away tribe ... except for clubbing the women over the head and then marrying them (tongue in cheek).

greatcyber

Does anyone know how to get rid of sticky grease on the cooking stove?
I have used everything from Dawn to Comet and it won't come off after I
cook something in oil.
judy tooley

Judy, you can try a remedy that is used to clean copper pans: make a paste of salt and lemon. Rub it in circles and see if it works. Could also add baking soda. If nothing else works, get some gunk off at the store (Target, Pep Boys, etc.)

Stephen

greatcyber

Perhaps, with a little bit of "Hints from Heloise" thrown in. Actually, I was watching a French cooking show last week and the host just happened to show how to clean her copper pots...so it was fresh in my mind. Otherwise it would have been lost in the cobwebs of my mind...
bbq.gif