• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

general piston combinations-what do you use?

gebbytoo

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to take a little survey and ask everyone their method for setting registrations on their general (or divisional) pistons (if they exist, of course).

There are only four on my organ, and because I only play for mass, I base my presets on what types of music I play on a weekley basis. For example, the usual registration for the psalm, or the main mass parts. I usually remember the piston numbers by what part of the mass I am playing at the time. For example

1- Great- soft 8' (flute)
Swell- soft 8's (chamois+celeste-a gemshorn I believe), soft 4 (variable swell pedal)
Choir- soft 8', prestant 4' (variable swell pedal)
Use for Responsorial Psalm, interlude music, etc.

2- add 8' montre on the great
open choir shutters, so 4' prestant can be heard
louder pedals
Use for softer hymns, some mass parts, gospel acclamation

3- Add 4's and 2's on great and choir
Pedal- add Principle 16'

Use for opening and closing hymns, etc.

4- Add great to pedal coupler, add mixture(s) (choir cymbale)
Use for multiple verses for hymns, less-intense postludes, etc.

Because the 8' monte on the great can be quite loud in an un-packed church, I like only using the flute (on piston 1) and being able to vary the majority of the volume using the swell/choir pedals. Some of the cantors, for example, prefer the psalm verses to be very, very, soft.

A long explanation I know, but It would just be interesting to know other people's methods.

Mike

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hello Mike,

Thats odd - a loud Montre 8. Maybe a case for re-regulating. Is the instrument a pipe organ or an electric? If your Montre 8 is that loud you could use it to play Cantus Firmus. For me, I let the repertoire and circumstances dictate what combinations I'll use and what they will be *composed* of.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

gebbytoo

CD,
To answer your question, the organ is a pipe organ
The 8 foot montre actually has a really wonderful sound. Its one of my favorite stops on the organ. It is not loud in the "shake the room" or "harsh and piercing" sense, but in such an echoey church, it can quickly drown out a "soft-spoken" cantor.

thanks for the reply
mike

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Drowning out a softly spoken cantor is to be unholded and applauded at all costs!!

Now, my organ skills are basic and my knowledge of the workings of an organ probably better than average...based on the fact that I own a two volume "show and tell" book about the organ, but the Montre (a peculiarly French beast) is quite unknown in the land of barbarians, at least, if there is an Australian organ with a montre (and there probably is) I've not found it yet.

Is it similar in sound to the standard diapason?

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi CT64,

The Montre is somewhat narrower in scale to the Diapason and the tone, while reminiscent to the latter, is somewhat more *clear*.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
gebbytoo - indeed, no point in pissing off the clergy, they're moody and manipulative creatures (I know from experience as my late father was one and my uncle is one).

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Mike,

As already mentioned, I have but 4 Generals (and no GC), so I don't set any up for hymns or liturgies per se. I do keep Gen 1 reserved for a quick change when I need to do "fill music" during the service, like after the communion hymn. For that piston, I keep this registration:
  • Sw: 8' Gemshorn Celeste (2 rks)
  • Gr: 4' Gedeckt, Tremulant
  • Pd: 16' Gedeckt, 8' Gemshorn
The other three, I routinely change for use in preludes and postludes. When I only need two pistons, then I'll set Gen 4 "blank" (quasi GC).

Being a 9 rk organ, hymn registrations are rather simple:
  • Sw: 8' & 2' Spitzflöte
  • Gr: 8' & 4' Principal, Sw to Gt coupler
  • Pd: 16' Gedeckt, 8' Principal, 4' Spitzflöte
I can then add or subtract during verses. The reed rank is in the box, so I can close the shades and add it without it overpowering the rest of the stops. I change registrations for every verse, and on some hymns, will do modulations to another key for some additional variety - like for those few hymns that have 9 verses.

When I'm planning on doing a half step rise in modulation, I will start the hymn in a lower key. I transpose hymns at sight in my head - can't use an automatic transposer contraption as it goofs me up because I have perfect pitch. I just can't play E flat and deal with hearing F sharp.