Beaches Jazz Fest turns 20

ruth

This year's festival, which began yesterday along a 2-km stretch of Queen St. E. near Woodbine, and concludes Sunday evening in Kew Gardens, now attracts close to a million music lovers from here, across Canada and the States.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Watt

reaching the beaches.

Ruth! You sure were in a hurry to post your promo address and link. I've reached the Beaches myself, and lived down there for a while. You should mention it's by the artists and musicians community. And while Beaches says something, the average non-visitor might not imagine Lake Ontario and the great lakes shore, in the city. All kinds of bands play along the streets, and of course, the more noted ones find the nicer venues. This is more of a music and art celebration than a festival, compared to what passes as public access in other countries. When that kind of musical enthusiasm exists, you are surprised who you see and what instruments are out there. And no matter who you are, trust me, there's suddenly going to be a sound, a riff, a song, you never heard before, coming through the trees, down the boardwalk, along the park, or played out right before you. It may be polite to say festival and celebration, but a lot of sweat and tears are flowing out there under the sun and moon, bands free to perform at home and before friends, amongst a public that knows no demographic end.