• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Optimum pedalling technique

Bach>Meer

Hi all

I've been improving my pedal technique slowly through practise but are there any theories on how to learn how to pedal perfectly as quicly and efficiently as possible?
I've tried to research this but I don't really seem to get many answers other than "Stainer's method" or something along those lines?

Does anyone have any tips to make me a whizz kid on the pedalboard as quickly as possible or if not is there an optimum way of practising?

Thanks!

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Bach>Meer,

I have been playing organ for the past 40+years and I encourage and exhort you to methodically practice the *Stainer* method. There are no *quick and dirty* shortcuts to hard labor - Blood, Sweat, and Tears Baby!!!

Go for it!!!

Cheers,

CD :):):)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Bach>Meer,

Although I learned pedal technique using the Gleason methods (basically always on the insides of the feet and no crossing over or under) I have, in later years, have changed to the Stainer method for pedaling. Now in my 48th year of organ playing, I still have to practice, practice, practice every week to keep everything "working". CD is so correct - there is no shortcut - you can only learn by doing ... practice does make almost perfect.

Read my "signature" below ... kinda sums up what we are all saying about the need to practice.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Clarification ... what I meant was crossing in front (over) and behind (under).

Quite right, CT64 ... that was the "old school" teaching, at least the way that my professors taught (Gleason method) during my 8 years of organ study. I have since wandered away from the "stuffed shirt" pedaling technique.

Flute'n'Pedal

I've found again and again that crossing the feet is the best solution to pedalling problems. It's particularly useful for sight-reading, when there isn't much time to plan ahead. I can't imaginge why so many young organists in the past were prevented from learning this sensible technique.

jvhldb

I've found again and again that crossing the feet is the best solution to pedalling problems. It's particularly useful for sight-reading, when there isn't much time to plan ahead. I can't imaginge why so many young organists in the past were prevented from learning this sensible technique.

Maybe they had "short" pedals like the old organ in our North Church. With my toes against the sharps/flats there is less than 3cm betwen my heals and the pedal support. If you try to cross feet on the organ you either bang the organ case or kick the bench. The pedals are also so shallow, if you use the toes of your feet instead of the sides of the foot you depress the extensions running from the sharps to the support under the bench (eg. step on G and you also depress F# and G#).

Flute'n'Pedal

Your explanation sounds plausible. Unless your church buys a new set of organ pedals, you'll have to use the Gleason method.