Olympics Beijing 08.08.08

rojo

(Ret)
I've just been watching some of the opening ceremonies, and will probably watch some of the events and highlights. Track and Field, Swimming and Gymnastics are among my favs. Hopefully I'll have some time to see them. Obviously I'll be rooting for Canada.

Will anyone else be watching or following any of the proceedings?

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Ms. RoJo,

I wish you and and other MIMFers happy viewing of *The Games*. Personally, I'm not interested in viewing them.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I'll be watching selected events too.
Actually though, I favor the Winter Olympics over the Summer ones.

Lots of hard work an effort had been done by the athletes to even get to the point of competing at such a heralded event. It must be absolutely thrilling for all these young people.

Kromme

Unlike Master Krummhorn i have an intense dislike for Wintersports but genuine love for the Summer Olympics i will try to follow as many events as possible.

marval

Well, I have been watching some rowing and swimming this morning. I am not very sporty but, I do like watching the olympics both summer and winter. Of course I shall be cheering for Great Britain. We have a 14 year old diver, quite an achievement.

So yes, I shall watch as much as I can.

Margaret

rojo

(Ret)
I shall too, Margaret.

And on the other 'side' of the age spectrum, there is also a 41 year old swimmer who's winning medals. Quite an achievement as well.

Tonight I caught some swimming and some gymnastics.

marval

Well I watched the women's road cycle race, in the pouring rain. Great Britain won the Gold medal. I also say some boxing, rowing and archery.

Margaret

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I thought it was interesting that China totally ignored the last 100 years of its history: no burning of books and torture of the inteligensia during the so called Cultural Revolution for example. It's a country run by a tyrannical dictatorship, like its cousin, North Korea.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
HI CT64,

I'll have to disagree with you about China being as tyrannical as North Korea. Anyone in China is free to emigrate to any other Country of their choice. North Koreans don't have that choice.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

Rachovsky

Did anyone watch the 4x100 Swimming event last night with France and the USA competing for the gold? France claimed they would 'smash' the USA Men's team, but the USA beat them by like .7 tenths of a second. It was an amazing feat, haha. Now Michael Phelps can win his 8 gold medals. But then I saw little Katie Hoff lose to a a Brit after she led the event for the entire race.

Anyways, As you can see I'll be rooting for the USA.

marval

I didn't see the 4x400 swimming. I saw katie Hoff lose, but then I am from England, so the fact a Brit won it had me cheering.

Margaret

rojo

(Ret)
Today I caught a bit of Tennis, Synchronized Diving, Swimming and Weight Lifting. Basically we leave the tv on either CBC or Radio-Canada, and catch whatever sports are on.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Rojo - the synchronised diving is fantastic, the fact that all the men (I've only seen the men) have a certain studly quality is irrelevant.

rojo

(Ret)
Well, it was the women's diving that happened to be on. You're right though CT64; those divers (men and women) look very, erm... fit! :grin: Beautiful in motion as they descend from the boards. Amazing how many somersaults, twists and spins they can do before hitting the water.

marval

I know I couldn't do that. Unfortunately our two divers got nowhere, and one diver blamed the other, typical bad loser. Still we did get a silver medal in the canoeing.

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Wow ... indeed, those gals are ... very athletic in appearance.

Was watching the pairs diving from the 10 meter board last night. That takes lots of practice and coordination for sure. I'm always worried that they are going to konk their noggins on the board or platform - some sure come really close.

Watched the Men's Gymnastics on a delayed feature I have with my digital cable tv service (video on demand) sans all the network commercials - what a shower of strength those guys have when on the "rings".

rojo

(Ret)
CT64, if you played the viola (etc.,) then you can't be as inept as you describe.

So far not a single medal for Canada, of any colour. Drat. Well we usually do better at the winter Olympics. And there's still time to "pick up" a couple of them.