Email notification

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Just a basic one really, are you automatically notified by email when you reply to a post or do you have to make it a subscription?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Staff reply to: Email notifications

Hi J.H.C.,

Great question, and thanks for asking :D:D

In order to receive an email notification of a change in any particular thread, you would need to "subscribe" (free) to that thread.

To do this, simply click on "Thread Tools" above, and select "Subsribe to this thread". The next window will list the various options you have for notification:
  1. None - no notification (this is used to cancel any previous selection)
  2. Instant - as soon as a post is made to a thread you subscribed to, an email will be sent.
  3. Daily - a daily "digest" of subscribed threads will be sent once a day.
  4. Weekly - a weekly "digest" of subscribed threads will be sent once a week.
Additionally, any user can also select these as "defaults" from within their personal profile pages. Click on "User Control Panel" at the top left, then on the menu that appears, select "Edit Options", then scroll down to where it reads "Default Thread Subscription Mode" ... there is a pull down menu with these options:
  1. Do not subscribe (this is the default setting when first joining the forum)
  2. No email notification - this is used to quickly find subscribed threads ,for which you elected to not have any email notification, that have had recent postings. To view those, click on "Quick Links" at the top right, and then click on "Subscribed Threads". This area also shows all your "subscribed" statuses which can also be modified within that view.
  3. Instant (see #2 above)
  4. Daily (see #3 above)
  5. Weekly (see #4 above)
WARNING - Be advised, that if you change that default (see #1 directly above) you could literally receive hundreds of emails every day, which may or may not be desirable. I would strongly advise that you not change that default setting unless you fully understand all the implications.

If you need further assistance on this or any other matter, feel free to post in this area or send me, or any regulator, a PM. There is no such thing as a dumb question about how this forum operates or how to use its features. :)

Last edited:

JHC

Thanks Krumhorn, so I have to manually subscribe to each post, OK

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
*The curse of MIMF*???:confused::confused::confused:

CT64 - you've got some 'splainin to do.......:smash::smash::smash:

Corno Dolce

Hi J.H.C.

Don't worry about it, ok? My colleague CT64 was being hilariously persnickety.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce :):):)

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
No I'm not - I had serious issues with being spamed by this forum and it was a nightmare getting it (eventually) sorted out. Things here are, 98% of the time, sunshine and light ...

Corno Dolce

Very well then CT64 - I'm glad you're not getting *spammed* by your favorite forum.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Sweet Corn - indeed - there were a lot of behind the scenes PMs between me and the powers that be attempting to get it all sorted (all very civil, I might add).

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
No I'm not - I had serious issues with being spamed by this forum and it was a nightmare getting it (eventually) sorted out. Things here are, 98% of the time, sunshine and light ...

Ahem ... clarification for the record:

This forum does not "spam" anyone - it never has, and never will. Users who select the options of having eMail notifications for threads/posts is of their own choosing. End of story :)!!

This forum (nor its operating software, vBulletin) does not "automatically subscribe" anyone to any thread or post. In fact, the default setting, when one joins the forum has that eMail notification feature turned off.

Just wanted to set that record straight ... :crazy: ... We do not need endless rhetoric about such matters.

The curse of MIMF? That's a new one on me ... :lol: ... which forum was that in ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Jeez, I wish I could understand what you are talking about.

J.H.C.,

I have checked your settings ... again, for the record, the staff can view them but can not change them ... You have automatic eMail notification set to "off", so there are no worries. If you, yourself, have subscribed to particular threads, you will receive notifications based upon what options you have selected from my post above.

If you (or anyone else) have any other issues regarding this, please PM either Krummhorn or Rojo (MIMF Sr. Regulators) or Frederik Magle (Site Administrator).

Last edited:

JHC

Yes I understand notification issue, but IMO it would be a lot easier for users to be automatically notified to any post that they reply to [as happens in the majority of forums] and then select to unsubscribe if they get tired of it,
But I am new to the forum and don’t wish to be critical so please excuse me.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Yes I understand notification issue, but IMO it would be a lot easier for users to be automatically notified to any post that they reply to [as happens in the majority of forums] and then select to unsubscribe if they get tired of it,

J.H.C.,

You can do this in your personal profile settings. It is strictly the members choice, and the members choice alone, if they wish to change that default setting. If you set it up so that you get a reply to every subscribed thread, whenever anyone (including you) responds to the thread, an email will be generated.

As an alternative to this, you (or anyone else) can click on the "unread posts" link just below where it reads "Welcome (membername)". That will bring up a listing of the posts that have been made since your last visit to the forum. From that list, you can see all the threads that have been updated.

J.H.C. said:
But I am new to the forum and don’t wish to be critical so please excuse me.

No problem ... you are not being critical at all. There is no such thing as a insignificant question for this forum community. That's why this thread was created.

JHC

Thanks Krummhorn, I will make the adjustments and see how it goes, I can always switch back again.