PDA

View Full Version : Who is the worst heavy metal singer ever?

crazybeaker
Nov-30-2004, 09:38
Do you know?

theMusicMan
Dec-03-2004, 00:56
Thats a matter of opinion yeah.... so who is your nominee then..:)

Priest
Mar-30-2005, 11:24
Udo Dickschneider

Kebu
Jul-05-2005, 17:44
I think I must vote for the lead singer in Darkness.

Actually, I think he is really good! But the whole band is like a parody of a heavy metal band, kind of like Spinal Tap, thanks to their lead singer! Since every note sounds so theatrical and beyond the limit of good taste, the guy makes a good example of how fine the line is between a good and ridiculous heavy metal singer https://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ghost Note
Jul-10-2005, 00:19
I have mostly listened to serious singers in this genre, so no immediate finalists to nominate, but an honorable mention to James Labrie. I am a big fan of Dream Theater and their musicanship/songwriting abilities, but he has had some moments that one barely survives hearing. There is one good example of the "Through her eyes" single, a long live medley if I recall is on it and James shows us some wrong note there.

Ghost Note
Patrik

Burn
Dec-19-2005, 02:46
I think I must vote for the lead singer in Darkness.

Actually, I think he is really good! But the whole band is like a parody of a heavy metal band, kind of like Spinal Tap, thanks to their lead singer!

I tatally agree but don't you think it was intended?
as for La Brie - I love DT but I must admit that to me they would be able to exist with no vocal.

substance_affair
Jan-28-2006, 05:43
The Darkness is NOT ! heavy metal they are more like pop !

<font color="brown"> I HATE THE DARKNESS . </font> https://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead3.gif <font color="purple"> BUT LOVE DISTURBED </font> https://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/guitar.gif

jason
Feb-04-2006, 21:05
I pretty much despise most death metal singers that just growl into to the mic without adding any of their own creative twist to what's already been done a thousand times. Most of them sound the same, but someone like Chuck Schuldiner who had a unique identity is so rare.

marionette
Feb-06-2006, 00:42
hmmmm...Even i love ''sentenced'' so much, i think Ville was bad singer. :S

erikbartley
Apr-25-2006, 01:44
The Darkness is the WORST METAL BAND EVER!!!!!! I don't get why people call them a metal band. With that, I agree with everthing substance_affair said (including the comment about Disturbed).

_Dulu_
Jun-30-2006, 10:18
well, for one Darkness does suck pretty horrible, but please dont call them metal it kinda hurts... Also i dont like to dis my own, but there is one bands singer that I could do without. Nile's singer Karl Sanders.. Well hes notTHAT bad he just c=sacres the crap out of me... but im sure thats what he was going for.... oh well :(

_Dulu_
Jun-30-2006, 10:21
When i think heavy metal i DO NOT think Darkness and neither should anyone else... you're mixing up your genres and it saddens me ... lol

_Dulu_
Jun-30-2006, 10:25
I tatally agree but don't you think it was intended?
as for La Brie - I love DT but I must admit that to me they would be able to exist with no vocal.

I feel the same every once in a while, somtimes they seem to heavy for him and somtimes he fits perfect. It must be the fact that everyone int he band is so talented at what they do its almost as if they dont need anymore help lol and come one John Petrucci is a god at guitar

Maney
Aug-27-2006, 23:06
If we can include death metal I'd go with whoever "sings" in the children of bodom. Its just... terrible. They ruin any song they try to cover and any songs they do themselves are terrible :D

Museo
Sep-29-2006, 16:46
Justin Hawkins of the Darkness may not be the best singer that there is, but I am not sure that I would describe him as the worst. The Darkness are not a spoof band but they don't really take themselves too seriously and like to bring a bit of fun to music (something lacking over recent years). They may not be a traditional Heavy Metal group - but they still entertain many people.

SecondBass
Sep-29-2006, 16:48
I think that there is a misunderstanding of the Darkness here. It is a very English band (and I mean English not British). Justin Hawkins does not take himself too seriously but he does write some fabulous songs. The vocals are meant to be over the top, the videos are humorous, but it is not parody, it is too kind for that.

Gene Simmons of Kiss is a really rubbish singer. They are not Heavy Metal either but he's serious about himself.

Museo
Sep-29-2006, 16:54
Gene Simmons of Kiss is a really rubbish singer. They are not Heavy Metal either but he's serious about himself.

I would agree with what you say about Gene Simmons. He did a programme here in the UK where he tried to teach some classically trained music students how to play heavy metal. I found that programme quite patronising. Kiss did have good make-up though ;)

Pompey
Sep-30-2006, 22:51
I don't care if Justin Hawkins is using irony, parody or sodomy, he has an annoying voice. I think he's funny but I can only hear about one chorus before I have to press the 'Off' button.

It is a fact that cannot be denied, Gene Simmons is a rubbish singer.

SymiMetycal
Jan-02-2007, 16:23
Typcially I find that when I find a metal singer I don't like, 70% of the time it's because I'm listening to early songs from the band where the members are not as experienced as in later ones. Many bands fit this profile.

sillysurfer
Oct-26-2007, 06:13
Heard lots of good and bad ones,but,the singer in Manilla Road(from the '80's),sounds like he is singing while his nose is being pinched!!Very nasal!

methodistgirl
Oct-27-2007, 19:11
Metalica is one of the bands I don't really like and Sex Pistles. The best
brittish metal bands were Def Leperd and Whitesnake.
judy tooley

Fretless
Nov-01-2007, 20:54
If we can include death metal I'd go with whoever "sings" in the children of bodom. Its just... terrible. They ruin any song they try to cover and any songs they do themselves are terrible :D

I'll go along with this one. Alexi Laiho is his name, and yeah I think he's probably my least favorite metal singer. Very grating voice.

sillysurfer
Nov-05-2007, 04:40
Yeah,that's too bad about Children of Bodom,they are quite exciting to listen to,otherwise.They are a talented,accomplished power metal band,dressed up as a thrash metal band!!Guess they want to be more popular with the masses,as anything in metal that is more negative sells better!

toejamfootball
Nov-21-2007, 07:58
Didn't Paul Stanley sing in Kiss? I didn't know Gene Simmons sang, I just thought he pretended to play Bass and stuck out his tongue. :grin:

Conservationist
Jul-23-2008, 18:06
Alice Cooper

Kromme
Jul-23-2008, 22:08
James LaBrie if you think of him as a heavy metal singer.

drummergirlamie
Nov-10-2008, 04:09
Udo DickschneiderThat boy was abrasive.

drummergirlamie
Nov-10-2008, 04:13
Let us not forget King Diamond. Dear God, that boy sucked.

sunwaiter
Nov-10-2008, 18:37
i love what ian gillan did on the STUDIO albums of deep purple, but to be really honest, he sucked so much with black sabbath. by the way this period was the worst of all for this band.

AlderonFrederic
Nov-13-2018, 01:26
Somewhere between Andy Biersack and Oli Sykes, I should say....
Somewhere I even saw Marilyn Manson (https://musiety.com/musical-group/chris-vrenna-marilyn-manson-nine/) in the list, but he mostly too outrageous and totally insane, then bad actually)

Fretless
Nov-25-2018, 04:10
I wouldn't consider Kiss to be heavy metal, although at the time they were gaining popularity they were getting all the right people up in arms about their image, which definitely had that heavy metal vibe. The music, though, just rock, and not all that good.
I spent a lot of time with King Diamond as well as a listener. I wouldn't call him "bad", but distinctive. I liked his storytelling dramatics for a good long time as a college student and a couple of years beyond. I've gone back to try to recapture some of that magic but I don't care for it any more.

James LaBrie I'll go along with. I can't stand listening to Dream Theater any more.