• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Looking for a George Wright Album

idaknow

Hi! The first post!
laugh.gif
I am honored. I hope you can help me. My grandfather is looking for an album by George Wright (or who he believes is George Wright). My grandfather tells me that George Wright was playing a concert on a well-known pipe organ (or in a well-known venue with a pipe organ) that was being recorded live when a mockingbird started to sing outside the building. A microphone was placed out the window and the bird was recorded singing to the music and included on the album.

It would have probably been recorded in the 1950's or 60's. My grandfather remembers the album cover having a picture of the bird on it as well as the pipe organ, but he doesn't remember the name of the album. He always talks about this wonderful album, which I would like to get for him, but it has proven to be a difficult task without the name of the album. Can you help me identify this album? Thanks. <font color="blue"> </font>
confused.gif

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Congratulations on asking the first question Idaknow
smile.gif

It is indeed a difficult question, but I will do what I can to find an answer for you, though it might take some time. Is there anything else your grandfather can remember about the album? Anything might help shedding light. F.ex. Do he remember any of the specific music played?

I call upon anyone who reads this to chime in if they know something (that's actually the point of this forum
wink.gif
)

Priest

Commodore of Impending Doom II
Album list of George Wright...

http://theatreorgans.com/cds/banda.html

Are you sure that your grandfather recalls his experience right? As far as I know, George Wright was embedding music made squeaking noises into the music as part of his symphonies... which should assemble the sounds of birds.

idaknow

Well, I always like to provide a challenge. I guess I've succeeded once again!

I'd appriciate any information you can provide. I've done lots of searching, but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I've looked through George Wright's discography, but the list is huge, and without a title it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.
crazy.gif

He doesn't remember any of the song titles, and, no, I'm not even sure he remembers the name of the artist right, either. Now you know why this is so hard!
tongue.gif
(Actually, with an event as unique as a bird being recorded live during a concert, you'd think the album would be easier to find.)

Thanks for everyone's help! As you can see, I need it!
grin.gif

idaknow

These links were great! Thank you for sharing. I sent Banda Records an e-mail asking the same question as I have here. I'll let you know if they have any information to share.

Priest

Commodore of Impending Doom II
You're welcome. I checked the descrpitions of each album, and no one mentions anything about a bird, but who knows. Maybe Frederik knows, or of course Banda might be a good solution.

Good luck finding the album for your grandpa...

idaknow

Oh dear, I'm worried...

Someone sent me an e-mail today saying that they had all of George Wright's albums, but none of them matched my grandfather's description.
frown.gif

Priest asked earlier if the name of the artist could be incorrect. I think he might be right!
blush.gif

I'm not sure where to go from here. How can I search for this album without the name of the artist, album, or any song titles? All I know for sure is that a pipe organ was being played with a bird recorded live. Anybody have any suggestions for me?
confused.gif
Yikes! Help!

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
I've sought after this for a while, I've also wound up emptyhanded... - I did, however, find some albums where the organ player also whistles like a bird...
smile.gif
www.whistlingrecords.com I think the place was called.

idaknow

Hey! Guess what? I think I was right about George Wright being the artist for this album! I received a reply from Banda records today, and the guy who wrote to me said he had heard George talk about the album with the live bird!
grin.gif

He said he was going to do some research on the album and see what he could find out. I told him that even an album name would be helpful. I'll let you know what he says.

Of course, if anyone else can come up with the name of the album, that would be great (if anyone wants to continue working on this puzzle
wink.gif
) in case Banda comes up empty-handed.

Woo Hoo!!!
laugh.gif

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
I too got a reply from the president of Banda Records (looks like we send emails to him at the same time
smile.gif
) It would be great news if they would re-issue the album! keep us posted what happens! Hope to see you around Idaknow
cool.gif

Pamadu

Civilian
BANDA Records have replied to me as well....They are Looking Further.I also have a Few "Aussie" People on to this as Well.....Also Thanks to some of the Other Posts for a Few Interesting Sites.....WOOOOOHOOOOO pamadu/Paul.

Pamadu

Civilian
smile.gif
Someone I know from the Australian Theatre Organists Society...is On To this. and definately knows what you are talking about.Will have a reply,may even have a recording,in a few days. Will let you know as soon as I hear back.
smile.gif
pamadu/Paul.

Pamadu

Civilian
cool.gif
It Has been suggested to me that if you go to the "George Wright Memorial Page" on:
http://theatreorgans.com/artists/georgewright/
Many of the People there who have writen about him,have copies and in some cases,Full collections of his original recordings.Also His Tape Releases. I have been told that they would be only too pleased to help if they can. Good Luck. and Please let us know. He also recorded for 3 other labels as well as Banda. HiFi/SOLO/DOT Cheers. pamadu/Paul
smile.gif

idaknow

Thank you so much, everyone, for all of your help.
grin.gif
I went to the site that Pamadu suggested, http://theatreorgans.com/artists/georgewright/, and have sent out some more inquiries. I have also sent out e-mails to the other labels you named.

So far I haven't heard anything new, but I now am quite optimistic that we'll be able to find this album! I'll let you know what I hear.

idaknow

Just an update on the info I have received from my inquiries. I heard back from the Theater Organs group and one member suggested the album "A George Wright Original" which was performed on the Richard Vaughn Wurlitzer. The people who are involved in the discussion aren't sure if this is the album in question. They said they would continue to work on it.

Other responses so far have been specific songs that have had birds added after the recording was made.

My grandfather has been out of town, so I haven't had the chance to ask him about the album title yet (he'll be home this week), but I wanted to share the information I had received. Is anyone familiar with this album?

idaknow

I think We've got it! Banda records sent me an e-mail this morning with the name of the album in question. Here is what he said:

"The album you are looking for was originally on Hi Fi records #702, which was the second album recorded by Mr. Wright on that label. You may be glad to know that we have re-issued that recording on BANDA BA-70170299. It has been updated to glorious digital sound which should bring him back to those days in the early fifties when Mr. Wrights recordings sold millions of copies."

The name of the newly released album is, "George Wright Plays the Mighty Wurlitzer Pipe Organ and George Wright Encores," a double CD which can be ordered at www.theatreorgans.com/cds/banda.html

Yeah! Thanks for all of your help!
cool.gif

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
I'm really glad to hear that you found the record! And glad we could be of some assistance! It seems the "Questions & Answers" section actually works like I hoped it would
smile.gif
I also very much hope to see you around more here on "MIMF" (don't forget to recommend all your music loving friends to visit, thanks
wink.gif
)

btw, I've been ondering: how did you find this forum in the first place? (could be helpful for me to know)

Anyhow, hope your grandfather will be happy!
smile.gif

Pamadu

Civilian
smile.gif
That is GREAT.!!!!!!!! Hope that Now will Make You & Your Grandfather Happy. Will go to Sites and Look Myself.That is what we have this thread for to ask & answer the "impossible" hehehhehe
grin.gif
it also gives us knowledge looking things up. It was certainly My Pleasure and I am sure all others that offered Help. Please "Stick around" and Post some more and invite some of your friends to forum...It is all good fun and prooves that we "musos" are NOT that difficult to get along with.....ONLY too pleased to Help. pamadu/Paul.
smile.gif
Think "corno' was also interested in this as well as me.
cool.gif