A case for (British) spelling reform

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aha CT64 - I see........yeah, there comes those time when one will just look but not post.

marval

Well I understand where the professor is coming from, but the trouble is that then we will have all sorts of Spelling for one word. I remember when I was young being taught to spell, don't they do that now? If you allow people to spell words the way they want to, surely this gets a bit silly. How many dictionaries would we need? or would we just have one very large one.
I know that some people have dyslexia or other problems that make spelling difficult, but for the majority good spelling is a part of learning.

Margaret

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Problem of course, Margaret, our language is essentially a spoken one and the written is just a convention to make communication, at a distance, easy. Spelling standardisation is a Victorian thing, as I understand it. Before that time, it was pretty much carte blanche.

marval

Well yes, you are right CT, it just seems a shame to pick and choose the spelling.

Margaret

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Well, I think it is important to spell correctly, otherwise confusion abounds when trying to convey an idea or message accurately. are we not using the right method in schools ? after all we made a mistake with new math but that seems to have been put right or so I am told. To just accept it as the norm will not do, how would it be if the same was attitude was prevalent in music scores. Thank the Lord for Google spell check :):)

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hey guys, do you really use spell checker?

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I'm an editor by profession and rarely use a spell checker.

As to J.H.C.'s comment "otherwise confusion abounds ..." I find that a little difficult to swallow. There is no confusion in akward spelling if the word is readable (albeit wrong). Their is know konfushun hear even thow the speling is rong ... it's just triky too reed.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
I łonder if eni of ju ken rid end anderstend dat. Łel, dac hał inglish riten dałn fonetikali luks in polisz. :p

No seriously, Margaret made a good point. I think there shouldn't be so many different ways of spelling a word allowed.

JHC

OK OK yu tu stop taken th psis:D, eye wyz hyt

I will be back, I have just had a new Computer delivered and need to set it up:cool: J

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I'm not taking the piss at all, to be perfectly honest. I think spelling is a convention and an evolving thing. I'm not an editor who espouses the view that there is only one correct way with the written English language (unless of course I've got my editor's hat on and THEN I work in the form of English I need to (whether that be Australian English or American English)).

JHC

I'm not taking the piss at all, to be perfectly honest. I think spelling is a convention and an evolving thing. I'm not an editor who espouses the view that there is only one correct way with the written English language (unless of course I've got my editor's hat on and THEN I work in the form of English I need to (whether that be Australian English or American English)).

I realise that you can generally get the meaning of the message but how would it look on a CV?? And how about in the Engineering, Scientific, Medical or Legal professions?? Surly we expect accuracy there. And does it not show a lack of character and pride in the individual.

Hey guys, do you really use spell checker?

Hi Mat, I use spell check, I am a bit clumsy on the key board and make typing errors, and I am not the worlds best speller so it is a useful tool for me.

A bit off topic, my new computer is up and running, 4GB RAM. 500GB HD, Vista premium “which at the moment is performing very well” and a 24 inch Flat Monitor, which is less of a strain on my poor old eyes.:D

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
A bit off topic, my new computer is up and running, 4GB RAM. 500GB HD, Vista premium “which at the moment is performing very well” and a 24 inch Flat Monitor, which is less of a strain on my poor old eyes.:D

Oh my Lord, what a monster!!! :eek: Was it expensive?

Well, I have to struggle with my old "box". 120GB HD, 1GB RAM and 17 inch monitor.

JHC

Mat. Yeh,but what the hell, easy come easy go [JOKE]

marval

Well, when I have typed something on the computer, I always read it through and then use the spellchecker. Especially at the moment as I am looking for a job, and need my English to be correct. All I have to do is spell one word wrong and I will not hear from the company. I also have a hand held spellchecker and word solver, great for doing crosswords.

Margaret

marval

Hi CT

Thank you for your wishes, yes it is kind of intimidating. Where I live in Milton Keynes it is considered quite a young city. When I see young people at the interview it makes my heart sink.

It doesn't help that when I speak to my 89 year old mother, she says I am too old (haha.)

I shall just keep looking and try and make my spelling correct.

Margaret

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I spent about 3 and a half hours last evening watch the wonderful BBC programme "Discovering Shakespeare" ... loved every second of it.