Help needed with computer software

calico

Hi guys,

need a bit of help and general advice. I bought the EMU USB Interface 0404 about one year ago and subsequently (very foolishly) bought a cheap dell laptop (Inspiron 6400) with Vista to go with it. I have had nothing but problem after problem due to Vista compatibility. Recently, Creative released some patches to help with Vista compatibility but I'm still facing a few problems:

1) On Cubase (regardless of what the buffer size is), after about 5 minutes of recording, there's a huge amount of fuzziness and disturbance. It is so irritating, and fiddling with the buffer size gets rid of it for about a few seconds but then it returns. The problem is that whilst recording, I tend to experience noise so it gets hugely irritating and is a massive distraction

2)There's a huge delay when I use Midi. I have a Yamaha DGX 500, and there's never been any problem with it. I started investigating how to solve a latency problem on my dell; downloaded some latency checking software, ASIO driver software, turned off my wireless card, other drivers...nothing works!

3) My plug-ins don't work; Proteus and Amplitude don't work (Amplitude completely ceased after I installed Proteus VX). For some reason, when I turn the cubase guitar effect plug-ins on, I'm unable to hear what they sound like until I use playback. Amplitude (before it was made bust by Proteus) did exactly the same thing.

Anyway, in short, these things are driving me nuts. I'm unable to record anything I want to because the software and interface are holding up the process bigtime. I have a feeling it has to do with my computer just not being good enough to deal with EMU and the software. I have heard of other people having the same set up and no problem at all.

Does anyone hear use the USB interface and if so, would you be able to tell me your set up so that I know why exactly mine is bust? I'm at a loss, because I know that EMU won a ton of awards and reams of good reviews for the 0404.

Thanks guys :)

Calico xxx

jesperdk

Hi C

get rid of vista and install xp. but remember to update the bios before as it with vista is not prepared for it. and to your latency, you need an external soundcard source like guitar rig or the like. onboard soundcard on an older lap top can not cope with the latency and the buffer needs plenty of ram and vista eats that for breakfast.

Hope this will help you further.

best wishes
jesper

www.myspace.com/jaydane

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Calico,

I concur with jesper 100%. Many people have been having frustrating times with Vista ever since its release. My machine is 4 years old and runs XP - I fear the day when this PC dies and I am forced to use Vista, as XP support will end in early 2009 from what I gather. Thank you, Bill Gates ... Vista is crap ... especially when one wants to delete a simple file :lol:.

calico

Hi guys, thanks so much for your advice. I have just had to fix my laptop after a vista disaster and now have XP installed on it (done properly too!). Jesper, I'll look into the external soundcard. Thanks again, you have just saved me a lot of money and time.

best wishes

Cal xx