We're getting closer...

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha Master Krummhorn and tech fans,

Check this out:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/fancy_a_25k_cray_on_your_desk

A total of 512 Gbytes of ram spread out on eight nodes! In accordance with Moore's Law, in 18 months we'll see a doubling of that capacity - ergo, 1024 Gbytes or 1.24 Terabytes!!!
We'll probably have to wait for 128-bit Operating Systems Software to be able to properly address such computing power but the wait will be worth it for those in graphic design, engineering, architecture, and music.

Cheerio,

CD :):):)

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
"Fancy a $25K Cray on your desk?"

What does "K" stand for?

Corno Dolce

Br. Mat, the pleasure is mine. There seems to be a proportionate fall in price for computer hardware and the doubling in computer power as per Moore's Law. So, in three years we'll probably see desktops sporting 1.24 Terabytes of RAM for about $6,750.

Cheerio,

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Ah yes, 1.24 Terabytes of RAM. I'm afraid to ask what is going to happen in, say, ten years?:grin::grin::grin:

Corno Dolce

Br. Mat,

In ten years you say? Probably all that computing power in a laptop with flash memory chips instead of memory drives.

Cheerio,

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Wait, I forgot. The world is going to end in 2012 :grin:

Corno Dolce

Br. Mat,

Don't tell me that you're a follower of Malthusian prognostications....:grin::grin::grin:

What will happen to your credibility if the world continues on as before on the year 2012?

Cheerio,

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Don't worry, brother:). I am not one of *them*. I have a scheduled visit at "Musikmesse" in 2013:lol:

Corno Dolce

Br. Mat,

I hope to see you then at the *Musikmesse*.

Great! I have something to look forward to.

Cheerio,