How far away is Uranus?

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
This helped me basiclly get my head around the size of the solar system.

If, then, we represent our earth as a little ball of one inch diameter, the sun would be a big globe nine feet across and 323 yards away, that is about a fifth of a mile, four or five minutes’ walking. The moon would be a small pea two feet and a half from the world. Between earth and sun there would be the two inner planets, Mercury and Venus, at distances of one hundred and twenty-five and two hundred and fifty yards from the sun. All round and about these bodies there would be emptiness until you came to Mars, a hundred and seventy-five feet beyond the earth; Jupiter nearly a mile away, a foot in diameter; Saturn, a little smaller, two miles off; Uranus four miles off and Neptune six miles off. Then nothingness and nothingness except for small particles and drifting scraps of attenuated vapour for thousands of miles. The nearest star to earth on this scale would be 40,000 miles away

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I note that Pluto isn't mentioned, not surprising as this was written in 1922, before Pluto's discovery. Also why Pluto isn't featured in the Planets by Holst.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha CT64,

*The Planets* was composed between 1914 and 1916. Pluto was discovered by Clyde Tombaugh in February 1930. Pluto was declassified as a planet in August 2006 by a non-majority vote of the International Astronomers Union. It is now known as a planetesimal.

Cheerio,

CD :):):)

Last edited:

sunwaiter

pluto is mickey's non-talking dog, and goofy is mickey's talking-dog-friend. solar system's pluto is a planetesimal and disney's pluto is a characteresimal. or maybe i will have to find another word that sounds better.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha sunwaiter,

Gosh, you make me laugh :lol::lol::lol: *Characteresimal* - Indeed.......

Cheerio,

CD :):):)