PDA

View Full Version : Theremin, so politically incorrect ...

Contratrombone64
Oct-10-2008, 05:35
Hmmmm, no comment

sunwaiter
Oct-10-2008, 18:07
nice! is he going to make a new line-up of the beach boys?

rojo
Oct-10-2008, 21:08
Now that is, erm, unusual...

I was thinking of starting a thread about the theremin at one point, but forgot.

Anyone have any good theremin stories? :crazy:

Contratrombone64
Oct-10-2008, 23:30
A certain nameless forum member and I attended a "zero-ending" birthday party a few years back and the theme was tawdry Sci-fi ... there was a lot of music being played and I think I remember the Theremin was given prominence.

rojo
Oct-11-2008, 05:27
Aha. Well, the theremin seems appropriate for Sci-fi, among other things.

A bit of trivia; a common misconception is that the theremin was used in the song Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys. Apparently it was actually an Electro-theremin; a device created to emulate the sound of the theremin that was used. Who knew? :crazy:

Contratrombone64
Oct-11-2008, 07:13
Robin I knew that ONLY because I Wikipediad theremin in preparation for my reply! Otherwise I was an ignorant fool.

Soubasse
Oct-12-2008, 23:47
A bit of trivia; a common misconception is that the theremin was used in the song Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys. Apparently it was actually an Electro-theremin; a device created to emulate the sound of the theremin that was used. Who knew? :crazy:
I did, but then I'm a bit of nerd when it comes to this remarkable instrument. Brian Wilson mucked around with one of the smaller model Theremins in the studio during Good Vibrations, but couldn't get it to pitch accurately enough so they used the Electro, which is a bit more like the Ondes Martenot (in itself another remarkable beauty).
I made my own Theremin (just a simple electronic store kit) a few years back and much to my amazement, it actually worked ... more or less. It's highly oversensitive and temperamental, a lot like me really so we get along fine.