Some of my art

David_Sercel

Here is some of my art.

First a few of my sculptures. These were sculpted out of a wood called tupelo and painted with acrylic paints.

A Red-throated Bee-eater
bee-eater_f.jpg

An Eastern Bluebird
ebluebird_f.jpg

A close up...
ebluebird_f_cls2.jpg

And a Ruby-throated Hummingbird
hummingbird_f.jpg

And here are a couple of my watercolor paintings; a male and a female Cardinal.
cardinal_5x72.jpg

cardinal_8x10.jpg

And some of my photography.
sp1_8x10.jpg

David

Priest

Commodore of Impending Doom II
interesting choice of medium to work with..
the birds.. are they sculpted out of wood as well?

oh, and nifty paintings of yours. Well made.. my only critique point to these, is I miss a little background.. might only be sketched or have it blurred, but a little background would surely do the trick.

Christine Callisen

Commodore of happiness and laughter
That´s fantastic..... How can you make it look so real?

Do you work with that, or is it just a Hobby?

Thumbs up - SOOOOOO beautiful!

- Christine

David_Sercel

Thank you for the comments.

Michel,

Yes, the birds are sculpted out of wood, and on the hummingbird the flowers are also. Any leaves, branches, flowers, feet, etc. that are very thin and would be too fragile if made out of wood I make from either brass or copper depending on the effect I want (brass tends to look stiffer and copper gives a softer look).

Christine,

I get the realistic feathering using a very fine-tipped woodburner to put in the feather barbs.

Right now I am a senior in high school and will be graduating this spring, and I am hoping to do this full time after I graduate.

David

Priest

Commodore of Impending Doom II
very well made, I must say.. not my style of art, but I do respect talent when I see it..

Colorful Mage

I think the bird sculptures are very beautiful, as well as the paintings.

Do you primarily work on birds, or were you just in that kind of mood when you started them all?