We have a new president elect

methodistgirl

I thought I would start this thread to see what you think of our newly
elected president. If you think this guy is for real or not.
judy tooley

marval

Well, It would be difficult for me to say, as I am not American. He does come over as a family man, so let's hope that it means he will look out for the ordinary people. I am just glad I am not in his shoes.

Margaret

greatcyber

I can only thank God that America seems to have gotten it right this time. Even if this man is able to accomplish one quarter of what he intends to do, that would be such a blessing. You know that the Iraqis and the Middle East are probably crapping in their pants and Afghanistan and Pakistan had better get ready for what is surely going to happen now.

I think John McCain was very cordial in his speech last night and I do have faith that Barak will bring the country back together again.

I am really looking forward to see what happens when he sits down with the budget and starts to go through it line by line. Too bad for big oil, pharma and the insurance industries now. The country was long over-due for this kind of drastic change. I only wish his grandmother could have lived to seen him sworn in as President.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Whether or not our president elect is for real or not remains to be seen. Once he is sworn to office, I will respect him as our country's leader. How he lives up to ALL of his campaign promises remains to be seen. The whole country will be watching and hopefully noting those promises which are bound to be broken.

Of the two major political candidates, I think Obama is the best option ... but he did not get my vote - neither did McCain for that matter.

I do praise John McCain for his concession speech last night - the timing was right and his words were right on target.

Overall, I'm glad this whole election ordeal is over with ... I shudder to think how much money was spent on advertising and the campaigns ... money that could have been put to better use in other ways. This nation needs to set limits on campaign spending and the length of the campaigns.

rojo

(Ret)
Being Canadian, I hadn't followed much of the campaigning, but I did watch the proceedings last night. I must say, I found it impossible not to feel moved. (Are y'all surprised? :lol:) I knew Obama had a lot of support, so I pretty much expected him to win. Although one never really knows.

Living in a multi-ethnic city, and teaching students of all races, cultures and colours, it's hard for me to imagine the racism that has existed in history. And the fact that Obama is of mixed race really should not matter at all. But it's hard not to appreciate the historical significance of the election of the first African-American (actually mixed race) president of the U.S.; I think this can only be seen as a step forward.

Is he 'for real?' I agree with Kh; the Americans, and the rest of the world, will now have the chance to find out. He's certainly going to have a lot of work to do, and all eyes will be upon him. I'm optimistic for the new president, the Americans, and the global community we live in.

Talking about the cost of elections, Canada recently had theirs as well, and the results came out pretty much the same as the last ones. We could probably have done without them. :rolleyes: :grin:

sunwaiter

i don't know many things about mister Obama since i'm french and not giving d"'("-"'- about the US, but i must admit that like so many people who say they don't give a d"'("-"-, i talked a lot about the US lately, because actually i do give a damn about what this nation is going to do to change the situation. first of all we'll see how things will turn out like in afghanistan and irak.

about mister Obama being black: i truly believe it's a good thing for this country, though we know he's not the first black man being elected president. what i wonder is what are all the KKK clowns gonna do now? move to the old continent? ;)

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Nawww - they move into the democratic party like U.S. Senator Robert Byrd(a grand kleagle).

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR

Tûrwethiel

Sorry Krummhorn, I'm a bit of a techno-idiot and can't think of a work-around. Can PM the text to you if you're interested.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Back to the original intent of the thread (no offence intended to those who have already posted) BUT as a recalcitrant, bog-Celt implant through the virtue of a Scottish father: my opinion on whether your President Elect's ability to undertake his duties is irrelevant to my life, really, as I'm not a voter with a voice in the USA. I sincerely hope, however, that he acts with integrity and gets the first world out of the two disastrous wars his precedes got us into and that he endears the first world in the eyes of our Muslim brothers and so forth. I wish him well and I wish him prosperity.

methodistgirl

I agree with you about the mess that he will have to clean up from
Bush's mess. Two wars that were all uncalled for. Our troops are
getting killed everyday over this mess. I would like to see our troops
come home and peace can abound for a while. I know that there are
terrorist over there. If we dealt with them like Bush wanted there
wouldn't be any more Iraq or Afgan people left. It's time that the
Middle East took care of their own problems instead of our troops
doing all the work. Our troops need to come home to their families.
As for the bad economy, America is in debt up to it's rocky mountains
because of these two wars. Obama has a tough job ahead of him.
It will take two terms to take care of what he can do within 8 years.
judy tooley

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Lest we forget ... that Congress approved sending the troops to Iraq ... it was not solely the doing of President Bush. Bush did not simply push a button and send troops to their deaths ... Congress played a huge part in this too, and that includes lots of Democrats as well as Republicans.

Indeed, our troops need to come home ... but I fear that without keeping some kind of force present in those countries, we are inviting a massive invasion upon American soil ... and that is something that needs to be considered. It is a very real threat ... and our men and women are in those countries right now trying to prevent such an attack here.

Imho, the world, as we know it today, will never be at peace ... it's not going to happen until, as Christians believe, the 2nd coming of Christ. Mr. Obama is not going to be able to restore world peace.

America is in debt solely because of these two wars? Hardly ... some of the debt is caused by deadbeats who don't pay their bills too ... somebody has to cough up the money and that's you and I, the taxpayers. We are also "saving" banks from going under too ... no, the war is not the only thing pulling down our economy. Look at big business and the labor unions ... they demand extremely high wages, then we as consumers have to pay more for groceries ... notice the prices in those stores lately? Then, the big union workers also have to pay the higher price and then scream that they can't afford the cost of living and then get another huge raise in the next contract, then we get that cost passed along ... it's always a vicious never ending cycle.

So, Bush is not the sole cause of the nations problems ... Our nation wasn't in that great of shape with Bill Clinton either ... but we all forgot about the man, the man who was running our country, yes, good ol' Bill ... the man who had sex with a girl and in the Oval Office. How soon we forget the past ... :rolleyes:

Although I didn't vote for either major political party candidate this year, I will accept Mr. Obama as my president of our country, and I, along with many, will be watching with great anticipation to see how many of those promises he made are actually kept. How many promises he breaks will have a great factor on if he is re-elected in 2012!

sunwaiter

it is not the duty of america to restore peace worldwide. mister Bush simply lied, everyone knows this simple truth. concerning the real motives, let's be a little more humble in our speculations, though oil seems very very very obvious. i'm talking from my french, relatively informed point of view.

whoever in the congress has voted for sending troops in irak doesn'tmatter to me, and i remember 1990 too. W wasn't president but america already (still) believed they could take over any country just because they had the strongest army in the world. i don't know many things about what's happening but this axis of good is ridiculous, when so many people living in the axis of evil understood lonnnng ago that the US was a danger for world balance and diplomacy.

i don't think mister Obama will change manythings either, but at least this country has got someone young (is it a quality? ...), gifted (looks like it)... and... you know the rest of the song.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Nice comments, sunwaiter. It's always great to get anothers insights from "outside the box" as it were, you being in France, looking back at us from a much different perspective. I've awarded you another reputation point here ... Thank You :up:

sunwaiter

you're welcome.

sometimes i'm afraid of being too "cavalier" and pretentious in my comments, but i always try to be as honest and objective as one can be. this is something very hard to do!

i'm aware that on this forum we won't change constitutions, frontiers or minds, but i guess internet is to be used for communication of points ov views, among other things.

music:
War - I've got you

C5Says

If you believe that God is in control of everything, whoever is seated has been allowed, whether to bless or curse. All in all, whatever He wills will surely be. Even if people go against it, He can use man's evil nature to accomplish His will. The end result will surely be His control.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha C5,

Truly and verily so - God punished the Israelites with the Babylonian Captivity, with Pharoah in Egypt. God will even use the next president to accomplish what God wants.

CD :):):)