Audacity software.

Sylvie Pacey

:confused: :)Hi , I have just come across a link for some recording software by the name of AUDACITY. Can any one tell me if they have used it and if it is O.K. I want to record C.Ds from mini disk recordings made from my keyboard. Also possibly from Cassette recordings. Thanks guys.
Sylvie

marval

Hi Sylvie

I haven't used Audacity, so can't help I'm afraid. But you know this place, there always seems to be someone able to help, so here's hoping.

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Sylvie,

I've heard of this application being used by some friends of mine. Never heard anything derogatory about it - I have never used it myself.

Audacity is "freeware" - that means it is free for the taking. From what I could find about it, the last stable release was in November 2006, I guess meaning that there are newer versions since then that are considered "beta" versions and may be "buggy". I would opt for the Nov 2006 version to download if at all possible.

Being freeware, you've basically got nothing to lose, except for some time and diskspace. Please let us know how things go.

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
I use it to edit existing MP3 files - easy to use, very powerful.

Sylvie Pacey

Audacity software

Wow.Thanks guys. What a wonderful forum this is. I shall download the freeware and let you know how things go.:):):)Sylvie

Sylvie Pacey

Audacity software

Well, I have downloaded software but can't seem to record my minidisk in to P.C for burning. HELP!!! Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.:cry::cry::cry:PLEASE:confused::confused::confused:

greatcyber

Sylie, exactly where are you having problems with this. Perhaps I can help. I have recorded albums and cassettes using this. Should be the same concept. You can email me if you like.

iceskating.gif

toto

Looking on with interest. I might have to edit an existing mp3 (or the performer can send me the wav file) into each of its 7 movements.

Dorsetmike

Audacity won't read Audio CDs directly, you need to get the tracks from the CD in WAV, AIFF or MP3 format. I use Audiograbber (cos it's another freebie), but only does MP3 and WMA. I'm still on the lookout for a freebie that will do WAV, did find a shareware one but that timed out after about four weeks. (I use freebies cos me pension doesn't run to fancy software)

greatcyber

However, you can use an external cd player and connect a jack from the headphones out on your stereo to the line in (microphone) of your sound card and record it that way.

jawoodruff

Audacity is a great program for recording onto and mixing. I've used it in relation with Fruity Loops and on its own. Very good program.

Dorsetmike

I found a freebie that seems to cope well with copying LPs to .WAV, if you register and upgrade for a fee it will generate most Audio file formats. Called Free Audio Editor.

Once having the file on the PC you can then use Audacity or whatever app you prefer r to convert to MP3 if needed. Note that for Audacity to generate WAV or MP3 you have to select Export, not Save.

Cheers MIKE

dpurq

Steven

That's the way I do it and for transferring music to CDs from old 73's.
The editing feature is useful - though there may be handier methods I don't know about.
For example we have a two hour concert of choral music here in Canada every Sunday. I save the whole two hours, convert it later to MP3 and edit that with Audacity to select out what I want to keep.
It took me a little practice to get the hang of it - but isn't that the way with everything?
dpurq

Dorsetmike

I've found one "fiddle" you can do with Audacity if you have a bad click on a Vinyl recording, use the magnify tool until you have the waveform of the crack well stretched out, then highlight that part of the waveform which exceeds the amplitude of the surounding waveforms then hit delete you probably lose about 1 or 2 milliseconds from your recording, but I can't detect any break. I'll see if i can manage a screen shot tomorrow to show better what I mean.

greatcyber

Hi Mike,

When I put all my LPs onto my hard drive using audacity, certain ones needed to be "tweaked" to remove the clicks if there happened to be a scratch on the record. As you said, all things take patience. And there all always other ways to accomplish this, depending on how involved you want to make it. Creative (Sound Blaster) also does these same things now, but since audacity is free, it's very popular and works well anyway.

My creative audigy has taken a turn for the worse. My laptop doesn't really have a sound card, rather an "emulator" STAC9200 chip. This is sigmatel corp's driver that came with my Dell XPS. But lately my advanced functions don't work (thanks to an update from Microsoft). After dealing with Dell for 3 days and working on my own for 4 days, still have no speaker selection or surround sound anymore. And as Dell's support has finally driven me over the brink, I'm off to the computer store to buy an external audio card today and not have to spend any more time with this issue. I suppose the new card will also offer the same software to do the things that audacity does. I'm getting Creative Labs X-Fi. Will let you know how it works. It costs $75.