• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Virtual pipe organ

tittualex

hello,

I have heard about ( and even downloaded) the virtual pipeorgan softwares like Jorgan and My Organ. But I have no idea how to go on further to use this wonderful application . Anybody here has experience with MIDI and the rest of the processes related to activating this application . please share it with me .

thanks in advance,

Alex:)

ggoode.sa

Hi Alex,

I run both (and Miditzer and Hauptwerk) so I should be able to help. We will need a little more information from you, however, before we can give real advice.

What Computer will you be running the Virtual Pipe Organ on? CPU? Memory?
What MIDI keyboards do you have?
Sound Card?

Do you want to use both jOrgan and MyOrgan, or do you want to focus on one first and then the other?

It is wonderful to get your own VPO going... :)

Graham

tittualex

Thanx Graham,

to start with I have a basic keyboard (Yamaha PSR 260) with MIDI (IN and OUT) ports . then I have a PC with 40GB hard disk and 256MB RAM. I'm sorry I have no Idea about the sound card which I have , But if it is necessary I dont mind buying a soundblaster sound card.I also have a USB MIDI interface.
And at first I want to install any one of the two softwares.

thankyou Graham.

ggoode.sa

Hi Alex,

I assume you're using WindowsXP? Do you know what CPU your computer has?
The Yamaha is fine for getting started.

Get ASIO4ALL (Generic ASIO driver for low latency Audio) from http://www.asio4all.com/
Install ASIO4ALL, and reboot.

Get MyOrgan from http://myorgan.sourceforge.net/
Install MyOrgan and then run it. The MIDI/Audio configuration should open. In the MIDI section, select the interface that your Yamaha is configured to (if you need help with setting this up just post here and we'll help). In the Audio section select ASIO4ALL.
Click on the MIDI messages tab and see which MIDI channels Manual 1 (Pedal), etc. are configured to. This tells you what MIDI channel to configure your Keyboard to in order to play that manual on the Virtual Organ

Download the Jeux D'orgues (http://www.jeuxdorgues.com/media/jeuxdorgues2_hauptwerk.rar) and extract it. Then open it with MyOrgan (File -> Open). You will see three *.organ files. Any one of them should work fine.

If ASIO4ALL does not work on your system, then use one of the DirectSound drivers.

Let us know if you have any questions :)

Graham

tittualex

Hi Graham,

My CPU has an AMD Athlon processor and the OS is windows XP. So, do I need a Sound blaster sound card? or any sound card will be fine?. I will try it out and let you know.

thankyou .

ggoode.sa

Hi Alex,

I use the onboard soundchip that came with my motherboard, so a soundblaster isn't neccesary to have a good VPO (Virtual Pipe Organ).

Graham

tittualex

hi Graham,

Right now I'm busy with my office chore :(...... And will be free during December ... I'm planning to build my organ then. So, am sorry i will be disturbing you a lot during those days.....

thanks & take care,
Alex. :)

Last edited:

ggoode.sa

Hi Alex,

No worries, I'm kind hecticly busy at the moment too - and will have more free time in December, so suits me too :)

Graham

tittualex

hello Graham,

I am going to try out my organ in my laptop . this being my first go at a VPO I hope that everything will work out fine....... I have planned it to be on this Sunday......I hope that latency will not occur since I am using a laptop.

thanx.
Alex

ggoode.sa

Hi Alex,

The laptop should be fine, but you may need to tweak the audio by using the ASIO4ALL driver. Let us know how it goes :)

GrahamG

tittualex

dear Graham,

Iam half way done but still I could not complete the procedure due to lack of time .Iam planning to do the rest of the set up on Feb 1 ..........

tittualex

It Worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Graham,
I tried My organ yesterday............... BINGO!!!!!!! it worked in my PC.... no latency...... at all........ only thing was sound was not that satisfactory... may be because my PC had the worlds worst sound system attached to it........:).
there was no latency at all...... and as soon as the sound font was loaded I could play the great organ.......... but there were a few problems.......

1. As I have only one external key board..... I used the couplers and could make the swell also play along with great....... but the pedal was not playing when the coupler was activated...........:confused:.

2. when i tried to switch on the finger pistons...... all the stops are getting switched off............ :confused:.

3. can i attach more keyboards (daisy chain) to the existing USB MIDI interface?????

thank you very much for your support.........

Alex.

ggoode.sa

Hi Alex,
Great that it's working!

Could you describe what you mean by 'only thing was sound was not that satisfactory'? Did the sound break up, sound like it was distorted, was there too much reverb, not enough reverb, etc...

Please also just remind me what program your using - I originally suggested jOrgan and MyOrgan and I can't remember which one we're dealing with here now.

1. It sounds like you were playing the Great and coupling using the Swell to Great works (as it should). Does the organ have a Pedal to Great coupler? This would be unusual. When I know which organ we're dealing with I should be able to help you get it working using a different method.

2. The finger pistons are probably set to 'blank'. You will need to set them yourself using the SET piston

3. Tell me more about your USB Midi interface. Does it have more than one MIDI IN socket?

Glad to help!
GrahamG

tittualex

dear Graham,

Right now Iam using 'my organ with Jeux D'orgues sound fond. the stops were sounding a bit distorted... like the trumpet 8' was sounding harsh............i don't know wether the coupler was pedal to great or great to pedal........ my USB MIDI interface is MIDI spot..... with one MIDI in and one MIDI out port........

thanks.
Alex.

ggoode.sa

Hi Alex,

Right, in the MyOrgan top menu click on Audio -> Settings. Click on the MIDI Messages Tab. In the list, double click on the channel property for Manual 1 (Pedal). Decrease the Channel property to 1 (i.e. make the Pedals respond to MIDI channel 1). Do the same for Manual 3 (Swell). Now you won't have to use the couplers as the one keyboard plays all three.

For the possible distortion, turn the Volume percentage down in MyOrgan (found along the top menu) and see if this makes a difference.

The MIDI spot can only control 1 MIDI device. If your Keyboard has a MIDI-THRU port it might be possible to run another MIDI keyboard through the MIDI-THRU.

Have fun!
GrahamG

tittualex

dear Graham,
thank you.....I will try this out and let you know..... am planning to buy a new good set of speakers.........