• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

rededication of A-S Opus 150B

smilingvox

Who went to the rededication of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine (NYC) this past Sunday?

I was there the entire day and it was awesome! The organ looks and sounds much happier now. The Quimby company did an excellent job retaining the organ's character. It's exactly like an old friend returning home! Mr. Hunt said that slight adjustments still had to be made (someone had just told me this).

I'm going back for Saturday's events. Supposedly, the organ will be heard then, too. Sometime between 9:30 and 10:30am, then at 7:30pm. Anyone who can make it might go to the Cathedral's website for the schedule of events for that day.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha smilingvox,

Did the State Trumpet get to peal forth in uproarious blasts? How about those gorgeous Solo stops like the Flauto Mirabilis, Cello and Cello Celeste, French Horn - did they get to provide any story-telling drama?

Cheerio,

CD :D:D:D

smilingvox

If you go to youtube.com, search for "st. john the divine", look for "rededicated st. john the divine". It comes in two parts, so far. Uploaded within the last couple of days by livzdave.

You will hear the State Trumpet in both. In part 1, the Processional, you briefly hear the Tuba Major in dialogue with the S. T. The awesome 16' Ophicleide is used as well. Part 2 is the closing hymn, where the 32' C. Bombarde is heard. Mahhhhhma mia!

Don't remember hearing any of the other Solo ranks. Not really sure what the Cellos sound like, to be honest. Never heard the Tierce Mixture, either, however, the Bombarde reeds were used. Like I said, Mr. Hunt said the technicians weren't quite finished with the little stuff.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Eric Johnson is the lead voicer for Quimby, and specializes in reed voicing. He was the organ technician for my church instrument. His superb work with Quimby Pipe Organs has kept him so very busy over the past couple years, especially with this project at SJD. A fine attribute of the Quimby company.

smilingvox

I had only heard that Quimby Organ Co. is reputable and their tonal designs, at least on paper, match my taste, but after the rededication, and seeing their photos of the re-installation, this is a company I would highly recommend, even though I know little about it.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
I didn't think Quimby could pull it off - my hat's off to them for a smashing success :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

smilingvox

Just got back from the Divine. The opening event of the day started with two guys, standing in the back of the cathedral, playing something similar to alphorns, followed by a small band of Yoruba drummers, then a grand improvised prelude on the organ.

By evening, the organ was heard about 45 minutes before the scheduled recital, which caused some confusion. Most of the coordinators and security assumed that was the recital. All four or so minutes of it.:confused: I still waited around until 7:30, when it was supposed to take place, and sure enough, another improv was played. Wasn't very long, but listening to 150B for even just a couple of minutes is a real treat. Even that can be a good fix.

mathetes1963

Afraid I've only heard the organ via recordings (Nightwatch, anyone? :)), but I was saddened to hear about the fire damage. Sounds like it's been restored to it's former glory. If I ever make it up to the Big Apple, St John's is definitely on my itenerary.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Here are some pictures from the Quimby site. The fellow in one of the pictures with his back to the camera is Eric Johnson of the Quimby company.

smilingvox

I've seen these pics before. Would be cool if the company posted more.

Welcome aboard, mathetes1963. Nightwatch is among the several recordings I have of Opus 150B. As a matter of fact, the picture of the organ case on the insert was taken by a former pastor of mine, who worked there back then.

There was no fire or water damage to the organ, just smoke damage. The only thing consumed by the fire was the gift shop and some of the tapestries. The organ has indeed returned to its former glory. It's a much happier instrument now!