Ear worms ...

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
This is fascinating, though as it's from Wikipedia it must be taken with a pinch of salt, I think: (I particularly like aneurhythm as a made up word for the malady).

Earworm, a calque of the German Ohrwurm,[citation needed] is a term for a portion of a song or other musical material that becomes stuck in a person's head or repeats compulsively within one's mind. Use of the English translation was popularized by James Kellaris and Daniel Levitin. Kellaris' studies demonstrated that different people have varying susceptibilities to earworms, but that almost everybody has been afflicted with one at some time or another.[1] A more scientific term for the phenomenon, involuntary musical imagery, was suggested by the neurologist Oliver Sacks in 2007.[2]
There have been claims "that earworms may be songs or tunes that become stuck in the phonological loop, the part of the brain that rehearses verbal information in Baddeley's model of working memory. This usually happens when a person sings the song or hums the tune once and then repeats it in his or her mind." However, this information is not supported by any scientifically published information and was presented only as a guess of an unknown author.[3]
A "repetune" is a song or other musical piece stuck in one's mind. Wanted Words, a feature on CBC Radio One's This Morning hosted by Jane Farrow, also once asked listeners to invent a word for this phenomenon. Submitted entries included "aneurhythm" and "humbug".[4]
Medications that are used to treat Obsessive-compulsive disorder or anxiety can alleviate the symptoms of earworms.[5]

C5Says

that's interesting. i've had it several times, now i know what it's called! :D tnx CT!

Tûrwethiel

That is such an apt term. Not sure that I need medication for it, though. Then again, some of the pieces I get stuck in my brain are quite painful!

sunwaiter

TV is the temple of earworming. the longer the worm lives in your head, the better it is!

did you know that the most heard sound of tv is supposed to be the sound of american police? weeeooooooooowwwwwwwweeeeeeoooooowwww.

Tûrwethiel

I'm not sure about your Earworm Kings, sunwaiter. Among the most recent for me were, unfortunately, Abba and The Village People!

sunwaiter

young man! ( the first verses of the anthem YMCA!!! )

i said young man!

what makes me laugh about the Village People is that Henri Belolo and Jacques Morali, french producers, were behind this project. france in all its glory!