View Full Version : Keytar

Dec-08-2008, 00:25
Is there a name for a keyboard that is straped and played in the position of a guitar? If not then I think it should be called a keytar. That is my suggestion for an official name for the instrument.

But I'd like to know what they are refered to as, and internet music sites that deal in them. I can't seem to find one anywhere on the internet.

Thanks, Mike

Dec-08-2008, 06:28
Hi Mike,

Haven't heard of anything like this. I think it's entirely possible ... I used to have a keyboard instrument that I blew air into.

Welcome to the forum, too :tiphat:

Dec-08-2008, 06:50
I believe I know what you are talking about. The bands of the 80's used
to play such an instruments. Look at the Moody Blues on you tube and
look up Your Wildest Dreams. Patrick Moraz of the group is playing one.
judy tooley

Corno Dolce
Dec-08-2008, 07:27
Aloha Mike,

Here's a very influential artist by the name of Jan Hammer - here's one of his *rigs* below:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.janhammer.com/Img022.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.janhammer.com/img022.html&usg=__fMlGUzxr1RiP9sS7E4wyplXShHk=&h=340&w=480&sz=23&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=wmZWmuYH5K6XVM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djan%2Bhammer%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa fe%3Doff%26sa%3DG


Corno Dolce :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Dec-08-2008, 12:33
lee ritenour used this kind of instruments, you also can find some on performance of the eighties miles davis band ("tutu", etc).

lately i participated at a gentle little musical contest (!!!... true.) and the band who ..won (sorry i hardly can write this) had one of its member playing a synthezizer in a funny way, like a cross between an accordeon, a guitar and a berimbau. a little showing off, but the music was original enough and thay had good presence on stage.

Dec-08-2008, 19:27
Thanks for the replies. I found what I was looking for and wouldn't you know it, they go by the name of a keytar. I guess I don't get credit for that name. I googled several things and then 'synthesiser strap' and got a picture of somthing called a keytar. So I googled 'keytar', and there they were, just what I was looking for. I never heard of that name, had seen them but... too obvious I guess.
Thanks again, Mike

Dec-09-2008, 23:30
Welcome to the forum.
judy tooley

Dec-09-2008, 23:51
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Forum.

I believe Jean Michel Jarre used one of those instruments in his performances.

Now I know what it's called:)


Jan-16-2009, 12:47
Alternatively, in the New Zealand comedy 'Flight of the Concords', when Bret and Germaine are discussing the instrument in question; they refer to is as a "Guitboard", pronounced Gitboard.:grin:

Jan-17-2009, 21:16
And Roland just came out with a new one... :p