Keytar

MikeJam

Is there a name for a keyboard that is straped and played in the position of a guitar? If not then I think it should be called a keytar. That is my suggestion for an official name for the instrument.

But I'd like to know what they are refered to as, and internet music sites that deal in them. I can't seem to find one anywhere on the internet.

Thanks, Mike

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Mike,

Haven't heard of anything like this. I think it's entirely possible ... I used to have a keyboard instrument that I blew air into.

Welcome to the forum, too :tiphat:

methodistgirl

I believe I know what you are talking about. The bands of the 80's used
to play such an instruments. Look at the Moody Blues on you tube and
look up Your Wildest Dreams. Patrick Moraz of the group is playing one.
judy tooley

sunwaiter

lee ritenour used this kind of instruments, you also can find some on performance of the eighties miles davis band ("tutu", etc).

lately i participated at a gentle little musical contest (!!!... true.) and the band who ..won (sorry i hardly can write this) had one of its member playing a synthezizer in a funny way, like a cross between an accordeon, a guitar and a berimbau. a little showing off, but the music was original enough and thay had good presence on stage.

MikeJam

Thanks for the replies. I found what I was looking for and wouldn't you know it, they go by the name of a keytar. I guess I don't get credit for that name. I googled several things and then 'synthesiser strap' and got a picture of somthing called a keytar. So I googled 'keytar', and there they were, just what I was looking for. I never heard of that name, had seen them but... too obvious I guess.
Thanks again, Mike

Hydro

Alternatively, in the New Zealand comedy 'Flight of the Concords', when Bret and Germaine are discussing the instrument in question; they refer to is as a "Guitboard", pronounced Gitboard.:grin: