You gotta read this.

drummergirlamie

This is about as accurate as it gets. Sad but true.

To Those of You Born

1930 - 1979

At the end of this email is a quote of the month by Jay Leno. If you don't read anything else, please

read what he said.

Very well stated, Mr. Leno.

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

F irst, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight. WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times,we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on ca ble, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no person al computers, no Internet and no chat rooms
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents..

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them? CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives
for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

________________________________________PeoplePC OnlineA better way to Internethttp://www.peoplepc.com

methodistgirl

That is so true! I remember growing up without all things I have like a
computer. Computers were then owned by the government and were
the size of a basketball gym. Back then the net was owned by the
military to look for communist. The games we played were either cards,
board games, or learn how to knit from your grandma not you tube.
Dicipline was practiced by our parents and didn't get in trouble with the
child welfare like they do now. It's now considered child abuse to spank
a child to make it behave. Acording to that I was abused badly but I
survived and learned from their dicipline to behave and do right. My
parents were not sent to jail for making me behave in a public place
like some would now. Someone is holding their cell phone to dial 911
when a spanking is taking place to make the child behave. Now days
I'm flabbergasted when I see a kid cuss their parents and call them
names I can't use in this forum and hit on them. My parents would
have tore me up for doing that and they were not afraid of me and
use a switch or fly swater. I would have got my face slapped if I
called her the B word
judy tooley

Dorsetmike

Most mammals discipline their offspring by inficting pain of some sort, like a nip with the teeth or hit with a paw, it is natural. Man did it for millenia, what changed ?

The only argument I can see against corporal punishment is down to the shortcomings of the legal system which occasionally will find the wrong person guilty, under those circumstances the death penalty is the only punishment that needs to be eaxamined.

Rapists should be castrated (or transgendered?) Violence and muggings require flogging.
Prisons should not have any entertainment or sports facilities, inmates should be given menial strenuous work, (maybe chain gangs could make a comeback)

Cheers MIKE

dll927

It has been said that two-thirds of the lawyers on the face of the earth are in the U. S. It follows that two-thirds of those are superfluous.

drummergirlamie

These are my personal favorites:

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!?

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on ca ble, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no person al computers, no Internet and no chat rooms
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

*This is no BS, there was a neighbor of ours that used to put leash attatched vest on her two boys when she took them outside. It was just plain disturbing.

What's she gonna do when one of those little boys comes home from school one day with the news some other boy punched him in the nose? What, put him on the bus the next morning wearing a football helmet?

*When I was a little girl I hung around with a girl who's father was a doctor. Not only did she get just about everything she requested, she also received many unreasonable leniencies and concessions throughout her short life. Her esteemed family afforded her to be somewhat of a novelty back then in that acceptions n' such were made in (as the point of my thread conveys) a time when you just didn't hear of such.

I've no doubt whatsoever all this served to contribute to her reckless and irresponsible adult lifestyle that lended itself to her tragic death. Stemming from a number of things, her and I parted ways after high school and it was just under 3 years later I was told she overdosed on cocaine in her sorority house while partying with some other sisters.

I hope this dosen't seem irrelevant to some of you. Personally, I think there's a strong link involved here. Terri was never properly taught things like consequence and personal responsibility. When in trouble in school or with the law, she was always bailed out by her parents. When challenged, on just about anything and in most cases from my memory, she would claim she was being treated unfairly and attempt to channel some type of recourse through her daddy. She made the high school tennis team only after contesting her cut by involving her father and threatening to get lawyers and the school board involved.

I could give you numerous other examples of her ridiculous sheltering but I think you get the point.

greatcyber

Lots of folks used to "leash" their kids when they were toddlers. At least that way you can be sure of not losing them in a crowd. Nowadays, that's probably not a bad idea.

I've seen this list before and for the most part, it is true. However, since so many advances have been made over the past decades, happily the majority actually help out. How one could have a problem with child-proof medication bottles is beyond me. I get your point, though. But the average life expectancy has risen due to many of these advances and hopefully, many people have improved their common sense about things they may never have thought of before. But people sure can get carried away and "smother" their children with over protection.

Wouldn't it be nice if parenting was taught in schools? After all, you need a license to drive a car. I would suggest that raising a child is a tad more daunting, yet many just "pop out kids willy-nilly" without the slightest regard for the consequences. The real victim then is the child.

sunwaiter

Most mammals discipline their offspring by inficting pain of some sort, like a nip with the teeth or hit with a paw, it is natural. Man did it for millenia, what changed ?

The only argument I can see against corporal punishment is down to the shortcomings of the legal system which occasionally will find the wrong person guilty, under those circumstances the death penalty is the only punishment that needs to be eaxamined.

Rapists should be castrated (or transgendered?) Violence and muggings require flogging.
Prisons should not have any entertainment or sports facilities, inmates should be given menial strenuous work, (maybe chain gangs could make a comeback)

Cheers MIKE

prison is not a solution, but we put criminals in it because we cannot think of any better thing to do. then prison CAN be a place where people are given a second chance. have you heard about redemption? anyone can go to jail, becaus you don't know how you gonna turn out like in one or ten or thirty years, even if you have great confidence in your morals and lucky star. then there are what we call miscarriages of justice, which you mentioned.

some prisons (i mean.. the majority of them) are already a form of hell for those who ended up there. i'm not talking about forgiveness, i'm talking about humanity.

Dorsetmike

If prison is not a solution then how do you propose to protect the rest of society from habitual criminals, psycopaths and other, for want of a better term, enemies of society.

[rant]
Many of them would be deterred by the thought of flogging as a punishment as was proved before the nanny state crept in; there were not many cases of a need for a second dose!! It is also absolutely ridiculous that somebody can be punished for defending his own family and property which is another result of the twisted thinking of the do-gooders.

Discipline in schools was much better when teachers could administer the cane or strap. In my schooldays (1940s) I never heard of a teacher being assaulted. I'm sure we learnt more too, having seen the decrease in literacy and the standard of education generally in the last few decades. Just make the exams easier if the results start to fall seems to be the way of the current thinking. [/rant]

some prisons (i mean.. the majority of them) are already a form of hell for those who ended up there. i'm not talking about forgiveness, i'm talking about humanity.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime used to apply: nowadays, at least in UK, some prisoners have a better life in prison than out, where's the deterrent in that?

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha Mike,

It is a vexing issue for some in regards to serving time in prison. The problematique becomes worse when there is no viable solution being proposed by those who suggest we should think about humanity. Then we must ask our colleague sunwaiter if it is humane that a woman who has been raped has to live in fear of seeing her assailant on the same sidewalk 24 hours later? Where is the humanity in that?

Best regards,

CD :):):)

drummergirlamie

When I was a child we had Mr. Yuck.

Anyone here remember that?

Parents would put his green n' ugly face on poisonous (toxins) bottles that could be found under the sink, for example.

Lookin' back on that I feel that was brilliant idea.

I wonder why Mr. Yuck went away? I'd wager he has saved many kids from bein' poisoned.