Some question about Bach

jcop

Hi Everybody,

On my cd I have a piece that is called toccata & fugue composed by Bach, now yesterday I was at our Library and was looking for the complete work and found another piece named exactly the same but sounded complete different. Is this possible and how can I search for the corresponding work, if it's part of a complete composition at all?

thanks and regards,
Johan

Last edited:

kierantk

The pieces you are probably looking for are the Toccata and Fugues in D Minor - BWV 538 and BWV 565

The famous one is the 565, with the dramatic opening, whilst the 538 begins with a contrapuntal toccata

jcop

Hi,

Can you please explain "contrapuntal" my English isn't that bad but I cannot seems to find a good explanation for this word.
Anyway thanks for the BWV information, I figured out that this is how Bach works are catalogued, but on my cd I can't find the BWV number for this piece.
regards,
Johan

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
contrapuntal ... two melodies (or more) played at the same time that agree harmonically. It's a close relative of the fugue (which is more structured).

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
The pieces you are probably looking for are the Toccata and Fugues in D Minor - BWV 538 and BWV 565

The famous one is the 565, with the dramatic opening, whilst the 538 begins with a contrapuntal toccata

There is also the BWV 540 in F major.

jcop

Thanks people,

I will surely look out for the different BWV numbers mentioned here and will update you so you'll eventually know which piece i'm searching and referring to.

again thanks I really appreciate the forum here, all down to earth, no nonsense talk and really helpfull for a starter in the classical genre.