The Silent Cello.

Hydro

Hello All.

I've recently taken up the cello. I still can't play for toffee but it's something that I really want to learn and have been practising as often as I can. I work full-time so I can only practise in the evenings and at weekends. The thing is that even with a practice mute fitted it is still pretty loud and the poor old dear who lives above me doesn't get out much so I find myself having to stop bowing by nine o'clock (even though she has her TV on at stupid volume, but she is old and I don't wish to get in a wrangle with her over it).

A possible solution that I am investigating is the Silent Cello maufactured by Yamaha, model SVC 210. These can be played through head phones or an amplifier. Seems like the perfect solution to my quandry. My local music store stocks these so after work today I'm going to ask to try one, probably completely show myself up in the process but hopefully no one will hear me.

I just wondered if anybody has, or knows somebody that has one of these instuments and if they're worth having. I'm not looking for something to replace my traditional acoustic cello, but I long to be able to play anytime, any place, anywhere.

Thank you in anticipation.:grin:

marval

Hi Hydro,

Well I must admit I know nothing about them. They sound a good idea, but hopefully someone on this forum will be able to help you.

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Sounds like a neat alternative for practice purposes.

Many a time, I have fitted large 3 manual digital organs with earphone connections for just that purpose for the organist, especially where it was impossible to move the console.

It will be interesting to hear about your "trial run" with this instrument and your thoughts on the feel and overall difference as opposed to playing the acoustic instrument.

Hydro

It will be interesting to hear about your "trial run" with this instrument and your thoughts on the feel and overall difference as opposed to playing the acoustic instrument.

Gonna have to hold fire on my trial run for now. I rushed to the local music store that took consignment of these beasts earlier this week only to find that they're still all in their boxes and not on display. Hopefully next week they'll let me loose on one.

I'll let ya know.:grin:

Hydro

I bought one yesterday, Genevieve that is (my other cello is named Ruby). Unpacked her, set her up, tuned her, plugged her into my bass amp and started playing (at a reasonable volume). Five and a half hours later I had to make stop myself so that I could cook some dinner. She is quite truly the best thing that I have ever bought. I'd recommend one of these to anybody who'd love to play the cello with passion and gusto at anytime of day and not have to worry about the neighbours hearing. It's ignited a fire inside me and I know that sounds incredibly corny but it don't matter because I'm just so damn happy about it. I'm even gutted because I have to spend a week away from her next week snowboarding in Austria. How bad is that?:D

marval

Hi Hydro,

Good for you, I am glad you got one and find it helps.

I think you will cope without it for a week, have a good holiday.

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Congrats, Hydro ...

Sounds like this was a "sound" purchase :lol:.
Glad to hear that you and Genevieve are getting along splendidly.

Tûrwethiel

Hello Hydro

A "sound purchase" indeed. Just make sure you surface every now and then for nourishment ... and to give your fingers a rest.

Enjoy

Vicki

Andrew Roussak

I bought one yesterday, Genevieve that is (my other cello is named Ruby). Unpacked her, set her up, tuned her, plugged her into my bass amp and started playing (at a reasonable volume). Five and a half hours later I had to make stop myself so that I could cook some dinner. She is quite truly the best thing that I have ever bought. I'd recommend one of these to anybody who'd love to play the cello with passion and gusto at anytime of day and not have to worry about the neighbours hearing. It's ignited a fire inside me and I know that sounds incredibly corny but it don't matter because I'm just so damn happy about it. I'm even gutted because I have to spend a week away from her next week snowboarding in Austria. How bad is that?:D

Awwww, congrats, Hydro!!!

Great there is a solution for the cellists as well! We pianists have no probs with that, as there are lots of digital pianos out there.:) Still, i have both a grand piano and a digital one, and I actually can not compare them . The first one is for playing , the second for exercising, to keep a neighbour in a friendly mood! Hope you still can make use of both of your instruments and to play an acoustic cello at least sometimes. Your neighbour lady has to be at least aware who lives next door to her!:)
Best of luck snowboarding in AUS, though I definitely prefer CH!

Hydro

Definitely, even though Genevieve plays beautifully and sounds surprisingly like an acoustic she still needs to be plugged in, she's definitely a home girl. What I'm really looking forward to is the summer months when I'll be able to take Ruby up the park and practice with her in the shade of a great oak. Hopefully my playing will have progressed by then, with an instrument that I can practice on whenever I want I'm sure I'll be able to piece together a few good tunes.

dll927

Just one question, Hydro -- if it's the best thing you ever bought, how did you get Genevieve and Ruby??? (I couldn't resist!!)

Hydro

Ok, I love them both equally. Call me a two timing slut but it's really hard for me to be a one cello man.

tinglyear

Ok, I love them both equally. Call me a two timing slut but it's really hard for me to be a one cello man.

i know exactly what you mean and most of us would agree, instrument learning and playing is all about love affairs!
u.gif

John Watt

Hey Hydro! An Englishman, eh?
I might not be looking down at you from The Scottish Highlands,
coming back at you from some overseas lowlands, The Niagara Peninsula,
but as an ancestor of Dr. James Watt and a descendant of Buchanan royalty,
do you know the difference between hydro and hydra?
Or is that scoff-topic for you?

as always, John Watt