An admirer of technology

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
In my new job as Parish Administrator for www.ccsl.org.au I inherited a wonderful colour photocopier/printer/facsimile machine. A Ricoh (not a brand I was familiar with). It's a large brute and has the facility to staple, hence you can make up booklets (I do the pewsheets).

Anyways - I came into work on Saturday to do a large print job and the bloody thing runs out of staples. Hats off to the smarty pants electronic engineers at Ricoh ... the instructions are on on the display and for the FIRST time were a piece of cake to follow.

That was not my experience with Canon's staple unit which was a nightmare. Just loving technology.

Muza

A fine accomplishment for you Ct64, and for Ricoh - hip hip hooray!!!!!

myself, im kind of in a love-hate relationship with technology. sure its great, but sometimes it makes me want to tear my hair out!!!!

Tûrwethiel

I have been caught kicking our work copier/scanner - it looks like the starship Enterprise - and calling it a liar. Well done, CT64.

Muza

lols, did the people who catch you kicking the thing join in???

Our office is right next to the copier room and I get my daily kicks out of one of the associates screaming out in frustration and yelling at the machine all the time...its really quite funny ;)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
CT64,

Firstly, congratulations on the new position ... and to have that position in the parish where Peter Jewkes is the organist is certainly another plus.

Our church has the Canon printer ... a beast in itself, often with a mind of its own ... the stapler mechanism about requires an advanced degree in mechanical engineering in order to insert more staples into the contraption and actually have it work properly.

I wish you well in the new position ...

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha GrandMaster Krummhorn,

I wager that you are the one of the Church Staff whom everybody runs to when that *stapler appurtenance* goes awry.

Humbly,

CD :):):)

dll927

Ricoh was, at one time, a producer of 35mm cameras. But over time, they pretty well lost out to the 4 or 5 "biggies" that pretty much run the market -- and set the prices.

Copy machines seem to be made to engender frustration. One thing for sure --if it works like it's supposed to, for God's sake, don't disturb it.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
CT64,

Firstly, congratulations on the new position ... and to have that position in the parish where Peter Jewkes is the organist is certainly another plus.

Our church has the Canon printer ... a beast in itself, often with a mind of its own ... the stapler mechanism about requires an advanced degree in mechanical engineering in order to insert more staples into the contraption and actually have it work properly.

I wish you well in the new position ...

Dear Krummhorn, thanks, I'm enjoying it though as I'm new in it it's all a bit stressful. Too much to do and too much to keep in my poor little head.

Peter Jewkes is a wonder, his improvising at the 10:30 high mass is to be heard to be believed, wonderful.

Last Sunday he played the wonderful Sortie in E flat by L-Wely ... reminds me of a circus.

greatcyber

In my new job as Parish Administrator for www.ccsl.org.au I inherited a wonderful colour photocopier/printer/facsimile machine. A Ricoh (not a brand I was familiar with). It's a large brute and has the facility to staple, hence you can make up booklets (I do the pewsheets).

Anyways - I came into work on Saturday to do a large print job and the bloody thing runs out of staples. Hats off to the smarty pants electronic engineers at Ricoh ... the instructions are on on the display and for the FIRST time were a piece of cake to follow.

That was not my experience with Canon's staple unit which was a nightmare. Just loving technology.

CT, glad to hear of your new employment. CD makes a good and valid point, as I have often thought the same thing. But a job is a job and if it fulfills needs (other than spiritual), what's the difference? I would only attend a church these days for the music, myself.

Don't let the technology get to you. When you are feeling "challenged" just remember this little tidbit to lighten things up...

Pew Service? Confucious say: Man who fart in church sit in own pew!

(I can hear your groans already) :D

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha GC,

Good to see ya back - Hows everything in Montreal? I hope you can safely dodge the falling icicles. They can be real mean spears, especially if coming down from a tall building.

Cheerio,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

greatcyber

Hi CD,

Thanks for asking. Everything in Montreal is still as wonderful as ever. The weather has been having its ups and downs but there are some HUGE icicles hanging off gutters around town. Some of them are over 2 feet long. I'll do my best to keep from becoming "impaled" by a falling spear. I must admit, tho, they are quite beautiful to see, especially on a sunny day. What really amazes however are the different colours of ice. It was explained to me that it is due to the chemical composition of the rocks underneath. But the pink ice is stunning!

methodistgirl

I've been having my eye on this little laptop for the last two months.
It make my laptop look like a big towering desk model. This little thing
only weighs 2 pounds and is just a little bigger than a paperback novel.
That way I don't have to lug this one I have now to the church which
weighs with cord and power box roughly 8 pounds including my yarn,
needles,hooks,how to do books which wore me out last wednesday.
I can stick this little sucker in my purse and not think about it. The
only pocket pc smaller is either a Palm or Blackberry. Some calculators
are bigger than that. It's size is about 6 by 8 inches and about a half
inch thick. Cute little rascal. I was thinking about getting it. It will be
mine not a left over of someone else's like the one I'm using now with
someone else's name to it. Otherwise this computer I have now still
thinks I'm James Dorian and I can't erase his name no matter how I
try. It does know me as Methodistgirl when I sign in. That's all.
judy tooley

greatcyber

Judy, you can change the name of the computer, if you have XP, by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Manage. Then there are all sorts of options there You can reassign drive letters, change the computer name, etc.

Check out http://MajorGeeks.com and you can search on their forums for the answer to just about anything. Conversely, you can google whatever question you have, but I guarantee that MajorGeeks will pop up several times under hits that you get.

At least you HAVE a computer and don't have to go to a cafe or the library. As for when you get the tiny computer, I recommend that you also get yourself a wireless USB keyboard and mouse to make computing life easier. Typing on those small keys might make you a little nuts. If you can swing it, an additional monitor is a good idea, too. That way when you are using it at home it's almost like having a true desktop. But you can simply take the notebook (sans keyboard, mouse and monitor) when you are out of the house. That's what I have done. You could even pick up a used monitor on Craig's List or Ebay, but flat panels are now only around $150 for a decent size...brandy new.

Just something to think about. Sometimes good things come in little packages. My laptop is much more powerful than the custom built desktop that Joe has and his is only one year older than mine. Both were "state of the art" (as much as we could afford at the time).

My doctor's nurse uses a little computer like you talk about, but she has to use a little pencil-like thing to type info into it. That would drive me bonkers!

Good luck. And if I can help you further with your changing the name on your current unit, PM me or send me an email. Just look at my profile.