• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

New live recording...

Janne

This is a very close to the organ test, only to find out how good the nosecone on my DPA 4003 works close to the pipes.
This nosecone is made to make DPA 4003 perfect omni on all frequency. It's a little annoying to here his feet tapping the
pedal so loud, but this is only a test. :p

What is your opinion on this kind of recordings.

https://sakerlagring.telia.se/User/...0-879e-4353-b3f9-53ee9a3a6d7e&Folder=10528363

IMG_7814.jpg

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Janne,

Very nice recording and a wonderful example of what can be achieved with the mic placed closer to the pipework. Didn't find the feet tapping annoying at all - in fact it adds a special nuance to the music being as the organ is, afterall, a mechanical device.

What is the music being played? A very interesting piece.

PS: Thanks for the pic of the organ.

Last edited:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Dear Janne

That's a lovely piece and the flue stops are delicious, so sweet and gentle. What are the two reeds that have a duet about a third of the way into the work, do you know?

Do you have a large photo of the organ?

rovikered

Hi Janne,
I have listened carefully but hesitate to pass judgement when I can only hear it through my small PC speakers. I agree about the audible foot tapping; it is a little irritating but only apparent in the soft passages. I'm sure I could be more constructive if I had the advantage of hearing it through my hi-fi speakers, but I'd need the recording in CD format for that.
Best wishes.
rk

jhnbrbr

Janne, that sounds like a really good recording to me. I'm sure the closeness to the pipes improves the clarity and crispness. I always try to sit fairly close to the organ if I go to a recital.
Rovikered - are you aware that a computer/elextrical store can sell you a cable to connect the audio output from your computer to the AUX input of your hi-fi? I've been listening to music this way for years now, and more recently I've used it for playing with virtual organ software.
John.

Janne

Thank you! for taking your time to listen and comment the recording.

I have a real big test next thursday for a Bach recording that is coming.
I will go with a Pearl TL4 stereomic and DPA 4003 in a yet untested
combination. Any good ideas out there?

The recording will be made in Lulea Cathedral during this year

IMG_5690.jpg

IMG_5696.jpg

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
. . . I have listened carefully but hesitate to pass judgement when I can only hear it through my small PC speakers . . . I'm sure I could be more constructive if I had the advantage of hearing it through my hi-fi speakers, . . . rk

Hi rk,

For about $40 (US) I was able to upgrade my PC speaker system with this Logitech system that includes a sub woofer that sits on the floor (a ported enclosure that situates the speaker facing the carpet).

Granted, it's not as great sounding as my home audio setup, but it is a 300% improvement over the tiny speakers that come with PC's these days. The sub does an excellent job at delivering the low bass notes of the organ.

wljmrbill

Nice recording. It did not bother me to hear the sheff of pipe works and foot pedal taps. I feel it made it alittle more real life closness.