Hello all, im the newest member so far :)

Frederik.Sjölund

Regulator
At least that i know of, there might be someone even newer than me here. But as far as i know, i just regiestered so i should be one of the newest members at least.

Hi everybody!
Let me introduce myself.
My name is Frederik Sjölund and i am originally from Sweden.
Right now i work for a Dutch company doing computer graphics for games.
Before i started working with 3D professionally, my main hobby was to create art. To draw, paint and make 3d models.
Now its making music that is my main interest, and therefore i decided to join this forum
smile.gif

I have been making music on my spare time since last year. This spring i had a break for about 5 months but i finally picked it up again and im definetly serious about it.

My main music-interest lies within the art of soundtrack-music and orchestral compositions in general. So thats what i am mainly trying to do
smile.gif

I will post some links from my earlier attempts at this and i would love to have you peoples comments about my music
smile.gif

Hopefully i will stay at this forum and keep posting new Work In Progresses and stuff.

So here goes, some samples of my stuff.
The first link is pretty much all of the projects i started last year when i was a beginner (i believe i still am a beginner):

<a href="http://www.freds3d.com/music/Frederik_Sjolund_-
_Work_In_Progress_2004/" target="_blank">http://www.freds3d.com/music/Frederik_Sjolund_-
_Work_In_Progress_2004/</a>

There are 6 songs in that previous link.

The next links are my latest songs in chronological order:
http://www.freds3d.com/wip/Calm%20WIP-08.mp3

http://www.freds3d.com/wip/Experimenterar-03.mp3

http://www.freds3d.com/wip/Unknown%20Song%20WIP-05.mp3

http://www.freds3d.com/wip/Running%20away%20WIP-01.mp3

I would really appreciate all of your comments
smile.gif

Thanks for letting me join and i am sure i will enjoy my stay here.

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Hello and welcome Frederik!
tiphat.gif
(great name by the way...
wink.gif
)

Glad to have you aboard. I will be looking forward to listen to your music as soon as I have finished a work which I'm in the middle of composing (I want to be able to fully concentrate on your music and that's hard when I have my own music on my mind
smile.gif
).

I hope you will enjoy your stay and come back often!

Regards
cheers444.gif

Frederik

Frederik.Sjölund

Regulator
Thank you for your warm welcome
smile.gif

I must say that you too have a great name
wink.gif

I look forward to hearing your thoughts about my music, please keep in mind though that i am aware of the repetitiveness in the middle of some of my older songs, and also that most of the songs are still work in progress. So if they have an unusally abrupt ending, you know the reason
smile.gif

I know almost nothing about music theory and i am eager to learn, so please, if you have links or tips on books, please notify me.
smile.gif

Cheers!

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Actually I'm planning on adding a "(Classical) Music Knowledge & Resources Center" consisting of useful and informative links and articles about music and composition - including musical theory. This is a project that will take some time, and I will probably need a lot of assistance along the way (my own time is somewhat limited), but if you stay around hopefully you will be able to find some relevant knowledge you can use when going forward with your music.

Frederik.Sjölund

Regulator
Sounds great
smile.gif

Meanwhile i might be able to gain some more experience.
Knowledge + Experience is a really good combination
wink.gif

Trebbien

Commodore of Choirs, Charm and Codes
Hello sweedish guy, Mr. Sjölund
smile.gif

You are already an active member
grin.gif
, so no comments about "hope you'll enjoy spending time in here" - you already do
laugh.gif
, that's excellent!

But welcome anyway,

cool.gif
Trebbien

Frederik.Sjölund

Regulator
Thank you for your welcome
laugh.gif

As you can tell, i do already enjoy it here
laugh.gif
(And im saying it twice)
Hopefully my first name doesn't arrouse any confusion around here :p

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
Hej Frederik,

Welcome aboard. Looks like you've settled in nicely so far.
I've only had a quick listen to some of your music so...
You've chosen some nice and rich samples, which gives the music a little more substance than the generic general midi sounds out there - what program are you using for writing this by the way?
You've also got some nice thematic ideas, but might be a little lacking in the development of those ideas and a generel idea of where you want your music to be going.
I know, sometimes we just write what comes to mind and then play a little with it, maybe get some new idea to go with it or to play simultaniously with the already written/notated music, giving it more layers.
Layers in music composition is both vertical in polyphony and horizontal in variation and development of already existing thematics and creating new ones either in total contrast to the existing music or more closely related to the existing material.
Music needs both variety and related developments to have a good feel of completion over it. Too much repetition as well as too much development will make the music either too stale or to uneasy. - Sometimes the development needs to be emphasized sometimes the repetition (minor developments)....
But all in all, you're on the right track... listen to music, study the scores if possible and get some knowledge that way... and then write more music... it's the best way to learn!

Good luck!

Thomas

PS. I'm a little short of head at the moment - just comming home from a few days vacation and going on a new one tomorrow.
smile.gif

Frederik.Sjölund

Regulator
Godafton
laugh.gif

Thanks for the comments
smile.gif

I use the sequencer Cubase to make my music, connected to the computer i have a small midi-keyboard (M-Audio Keystation 49e) wich is very useful when i want to try out new things.
As for the sounds, i am using the EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Silver Edition samples. I recently ordered the Gold Edition and im waiting for it to arrive in the mail
smile.gif
Its going to be sweet.
As i mentioned before, i know pretty much nothing about music-theory and i am very eager to learn. Learning some theory would probably save me some times for the occasional trial and error that i have to go through every now and then.
But you are totally right, i should plan the development of my songs more. I guess that is one of my weak sides and that side will now have to go to the gym everyday to get stronger
laugh.gif

I am currently in a state where i try to make something every day. Sometimes i continue on what i've already started and sometimes i just get new ideas or want to try out new stuff.
Completing a song seems to be one of the hardest things to do right now, heh. But i wont stop until.. who am i kidding.. i wont stop at all!

Lotus80

Commodore of Water Music
Hello Frederik,

Welcome to MIMF!
laugh.gif

Seems like you're well at home here already, so am looking forward to seeing you around
smile.gif

Cheers, Lotus80

Ghost Note

I have been thinking about the role of music theory in music. It works like tools, the accomplish nothing in themselves, buth with the right technique they can help you accomplish the tasks at hand. Usually this is writing a continuation of the piece you are working on. Knowledge och chords and scales help you to add parts to written melodies that will enhance them.

And I also saw that you use the EWQL symphonic orchestra silver, which is great and even the you are upgrading. Nice. A good musical theory compliment to that sample package is "the study of orchestration" by Samuel Adler. It tells you everything you need to know about symphony orchestras, the individual instruments and how to blend them. There are many notated passages for every chapter to show what they mean by pointing it out in real classical music. A great buy, I got it for 400 svenska kronor, and then I bought the CDs as well. The Cds contain all the examples in the book in recorded form and videos of all instruments and their techniques. It is invaluable for the serious lerner of composition.

Frederik.Sjölund

Regulator
Awesome!
laugh.gif

This kind of information is exactly what i've been looking foor, thanks. Im definetly buying this book, possibly the cd's aswell since i cant read nor write notes.
And my main focus is on orchestrated music so thats also a reason.
Thanks alot
smile.gif