• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Uppsala Cathedral new Pipeorgan!!

Janne

That pipe organ would be fun to record sometime, this is a project to focus on.
I have a friend (Mr. Wargh) who should be perfect to make that organ breathe. :p

Sad that it was so bad sound on the video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGFOiFcDvi8[/youtube]

Last edited:

Janne

The Cathedral in Uppsala is larger than Saint-Sulpice, I do not know if it's bigger than Notre Dame de Paris!

wljmrbill

seems noted to Notre Dame de paris organ resonance . Be great to play it sometime. Only a cathedral or ( virtual organ) can give that feeling of majestic fullness. THanks

Soubasse

I've had the great pleasure of performing on the Åkerman organ in Uppsala Cathedral - a wonderful instrument in superb acoustics. And now they have another splendid addition? What great news - thanks for posting this. :) (I'm trying to work out from the footage where it has actually been placed).

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha Soubasse,

The *Ruffie* is placed (buried) in the left transept below its rose window - Only half of the organ sound gets out to the main body of worshippers.

:shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

Regards,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
A Swedish Concert Organist friend of mine who was there recently said that the *Ruffie* in its current position is but a glorified choir organ. It would have been able to speak out into the nave better if it had been placed in the Ambulatory behind the altar.

Soubasse

Hmmm, bit of a shame that. I wonder if it's been voiced any louder to compensate? The case seems quite handsome but I'm not 100% sold on the blue. That said, the interior of the Domkyrk is rather lavish on its oen with its extraordinary stencillings across the walls and ceilings, so it probably looks fine in situ.

I'm curious that Andrew Canning is "one of" the cathedral organists. I'm sure when I met him he was "the" cathedral organist. Certainly a fine player with a flair for improvisation whom I greatly enjoyed listening to.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
According to the Uppsala Cathedral website, Olle Johansson is the Cathedral Organist and Choirmaster.

However, the website could contain outdated information as it only mentions the new transept organ being in the planning stages.

Janne

Hmmm, bit of a shame that. I wonder if it's been voiced any louder to compensate? The case seems quite handsome but I'm not 100% sold on the blue. That said, the interior of the Domkyrk is rather lavish on its oen with its extraordinary stencillings across the walls and ceilings, so it probably looks fine in situ.

I'm curious that Andrew Canning is "one of" the cathedral organists. I'm sure when I met him he was "the" cathedral organist. Certainly a fine player with a flair for improvisation whom I greatly enjoyed listening to.

Oppps, krummhorn you are fast :)

This is from the info about this video.

The performers are two of the organists in the cathedral - Olle Johansson and Andrew Canning

VeniVidi2009

Hi

I am the guy that posted the video clip from one of the first concerts where the new Ruffatti organ was used. Maybe some notes about the organ could be interesting to know for the Forum visitor that happens to live somewhere else than in Uppsala.

About the clip: I happened to visit the cathedral just by chance and got a fine seat quite near the nave console (the organ can be played also from a console on the balcony of course but I think it will mostly be used from the nave console). I had with me just an ordinary digital camera (Canon Powershot A650) with a possibility to record also video clips. Therefore both the picture and of course the sound is quite awful which is a great pity. But still I thought it could be interesting to publish this very first recording on the Net from one of the 1st concerts. If you want a fully professional sound clip, just listen here to the complete inauguration concert recorded by the Swedish Radio SR (the speach in between is of course in Swedish) The work by Langlais - Esquisse Gothique #3, that is heard in my clip was also played in the dedication concert and can here be listened to in full glory in the end of the 1 hour program (the link will be dead 1 month after sending time - April 11, 2009):

http://www.sr.se/webbradio/webbradio.asp?type=broadcast&Id=1642962&BroadcastDate=&IsBlock=

The organ that was inaugurated on Febr 8 is built by Fratelli Ruffatti and the case and the new balcony is drawn by the Swedish architect firm Tallius Myhrman. The construction took 4 years and to view the specification of this four manual, 69 rank organ, please look here:

http://www.ruffatti.com/specs/uppsala.html

Last edited:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
However, the website could contain outdated information.

This the norm, I'm afraid, unless a church has a dedicated volunteer to ensure that the website is up-to-date ... my job means I have to keep the ccsl website up-to-date, I'm successful in general terms, sometimes not.

Everyone of course whines about it, but then again, the whingers aren't the ones responsible for its maintenance.

VeniVidi2009

One more note about the Ruffatti organ in Uppsala and that is not mentioned in Ruffattis own site:

“Virtuoso” pipe organ control system comes from Integrated Organ Technologies, Atlanta, GA, USA and includes record/playback facility, transposition and a 2GB memory that allows for a virtually limitless number of combination settings.

Especially the playback function is quite cool. When I visited the church this function was demonstrated by Andrew Canning that played back a part of the dedication concert that now could be heard "live" on the organ but played in reality before :)

Two of the ranks work with high pressure and have their own wind system: Trompette en chamade and Tuba.

The planning and construction of the organ took 4 years and the final setup 20 weeks (10 for the transport and assembly plus 10 weeks for the voicing). This organ is the first one from Ruffatti north of the Alps.

Here some pictures showing the new balcony and the case that has got a lot of critizism for the neobaroque "box" look common in the 1960-1970th era. Many had expected a more modern or more traditional design.

The pictures show the casing and also a rough overview drawing that I got from the site of the Tallius Myhrman Architects.

Last edited:

VeniVidi2009

The Cathedral in Uppsala is larger than Saint-Sulpice, I do not know if it's bigger than Notre Dame de Paris!
Janne

The inside measures for the Uppsala cathedral are 106 metres long, 42 metres wide and 27 metres high (the outside is 118.7 metres long and 52 metres wide).

For Notre Dame de Paris I have found the measures 130 metres long, 48 metres wide and 35 metres high - so it is apparantly bigger than Uppsala cathedral.

But Uppsala has a higher tower - 118.7 metres compared to 90 metres in Paris.

Canning

Ruffatti in Uppsala

Dear friends,

I am sincerely delighted that several of you have taken the time to comment about the new Ruffatti organ at Uppsala Cathedral. Having read all that has been written about the organ on this site, I feel that I should now jump in and make a few comments myself since I know the instrument very well indeed, designed the specification, followed the building and voicing very closely, and have the pleasure of playing it every day.

Corno Dolce claims that the organ is buried in the left transept and that only half of the organ sound gets out to the main body of worshippers. I’m sorry, but this is nonsense. Long before the organ was built, extensive acoustical tests were carried out to determine the best place to build a new organ and both the south and north transepts proved to be superb. The sound certainly DOES get out into the whole building and the combined principal choruses alone (without reeds or mixtures) can lead a congregation of several hundred people.

Corne Dolce’s “Swedish Concert Organist friend” says that the new Ruffatti is a “glorified choir organ”. I’m sorry, but I don’t really understand what this means. What is a glorified choir organ? As for building an organ behind the High Altar, this was never an option and never even discussed. There is no space there for an organ, and even if there were, the Swedish Preservation Authorities would never have granted permission. In addition, we required an organ that can accompany the cathedral choirs – this would be nigh impossible with an organ behind the altar.

VeniVidi2009’s recording is sadly of poor quality, but as he says, the entire concert was recorded very well by Swedish Radio and broadcast at a later date. This concert was however not the inauguration concert (as even advertised by Swedish Radio). It was a short lunchtime concert held two days after the inauguration concert. I played the inauguration concert myself for an audience of over 2000 people but Swedish Radio could not come to record on that day.

I have recently completed the first CD recording of the new Ruffatti for Priory Records as part of their “Great European Organ Series” and this will be released quite shortly I believe.

The new Ruffatti at Uppsala cathedral is without doubt a stunning success. If anyone has any doubts or questions, please ask me, or better still, come to Uppsala at try it out for yourself (but contact me first so we can book a time).

With best wishes,
Andrew Canning

Canning

The CD of the new Ruffatti should be out quite soon. The sound quality is quite stunning and I am very happy with the result.

Here's the repertoire:

Franz Schmidt Prelude & fugue D major “Halleluja”
(1874-1939)

Girolamo Frescobaldi Bergamasca
(1583-1643)

Emil Sjögren Three Legends – D major, A major, E major
(1853-1918)

Oskar Lindberg Introitus Solennis
(1887-1955)

Oskar Lindberg Old Swedish folktune from Dalecarlia
(1887-1955)

Ad Wammes Vallée des danses (Valley of dances)
(b. 1953)

William Albright Sweet Sixteenths - a concert rag for organ
(1944-1998)

Arno Landmann Variations on a theme by Handel, Op 29
(1887-1966)

Philip Glass (1937- ) "Satyagraha" Act III – Conclusion
arr. Riesman

Andrew Canning (1967- ) Scherzo (improvisation)

Wammes

PRCD 1010-Great European Organs no.79

Actually the CD is out right now!
Feel very proud to be recorded by such a giant like Andrew:)

Ad Wammes