Australia mourns

Sylvie Pacey

On this very sad day, please give your thoughts of love to all who lost their lives, their loved ones and their homes in Victoria. I hope it will bring some comfort to all involved, to know that all over the world there are many people who care for their loss and greatly admire the steadfastness and bravery of all the emergency services, who faced such a terrifying situation with such calm resolve. Even out of such tragedy, heroes are born.On 7th February 2009 Australia became a great nation and a beacon of hope to us all. Sylvie

methodistgirl

I can say that too for the utility workers who finally got us back on
line most of all specially our electricity, and other utilities, and
the American Red Cross for providing some shelter for those victims
of the ice storm. Thanks for all of the churches who opened their
doors to help the Red Cross including the Methodist church I go to.
Thousands died across the whole state of Kentucky. The elderly
were the ones who suffered the most from the hard cold. I was
lucky. On the opposite scale of Australia, Kentucky suffered as
well. The only difference is one is a nation and the other is the
15th state in the US. I've been reading the news on Australia and
on the other hand witnessed what has happened here in Kentucky.
Right now all of the trees make my neck of the woods look like
Madisonville's on another planet the way the trees are broken down.
I turn on the computer and see what is happening in Australia which
is just as devastating with the hot weather. I remember two years
ago when the summer here was just as bad. The little crocs I wore
walking from the church to my house was trying to melt until I got
home. The pavement was so hot. Believe me I have the whole
Earth in my prayers lately. It's not just Australia or Kentucky who
is suffering. All nations are hurting from the rough weather or land.
judy tooley

Sylvie Pacey

Well Judy, we didn't seem to hear about your terrible blizzards in Kentucky, perhaps they're no so photogenic!! It must have been dreadful for all of you there. I do hope that things are improving now. It seems as though there is trouble everywhere so Mother earth certainly needs our prayers. Sylvie

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
This has to be devastating to experience in your part of the world, CT64. So much land being scorched like that, and no relief from the fires burning unless there is a significant rainfall, and soon.

I would hope the arsonists are hung up by their thumbnails and be put to hard labor restoring that which they caused harm. We can never replace the lives that have been lost, and that is so unfortunate. My prayers are with you all in Australia.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Lars - the arsonists just need to be dealt with in a just manner. I don't think a Jury in Melbourne would find it easy to be impartial as the whole state is in shock and mourning. Actually, the whole country has been weeping and in shock at the enormity of the situation. For such a tiny nation (population wise) we've certainly donated an extraordinary amount of money, clothes, food as to the devistated in Victoria. Last Sunday saw the memorial service from Melbourne. I saw it and wept. All parts of our society have shown support: Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist and so on right down to those with no religious affiliations, incredible. I've cried on the phone with Turwethiel over this, just so agonising.

We will rebuild, it takes more than a bushfire to quell our spirit and we will all support each other in this time.

Sylvie Pacey

australia mourns

I was in Australia in 2007 and saw the results of the previous fires in N.S.W so I know that Australia will rebuild with strength and courage. Perhaps the authorities will take a leaf from the Aboriginies and think about controlled burning of tinder dry undergrowth. With
only one years growth of the grass & weeds, there would surely be much less risk of wildfires spreading so rapidly.Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. Our curate here was married a few years back in Maryville . He and his wife are devastated at all the loss and he said a special prayer for them all at the service
he takes every month at one of our nursing homes here,
where I am priviliged to play. Sylvie

jvhldb

My heart goes out to all of you in Australia, being an EX bush fire fighter I know the horrors happening to you guys.

Just so you guys now your not allone, our first fire alerts/warnings started going out, and its not even the dry season yet!

marval

What happened in Australia was terrible, especially fires that were deliberately started. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved, I am sure the community spirit will help them through.

Margaret