Swede studying classical composition

Ghost Note

I was one day perusing the web and stumbled upon this forum. Being that I am going to start studying composition in Sweden at Gotlands tonsättarskola, where I have already met some great musicians and people, this seemed like a great opportunity to meet other people and other people's music. I currently am working with a project called "Ghost Note" (also my nick) where the motto is "good music is not limited to one genre". Having said this, it is almost solely in the meeting with others that I will expose myself to new and freash ideas of music, instrumentation and creativity. We have a webpage up with some of the music from the project, ranging from calssical piano to experimental modernistic click&cuts.

Visit Ghost Note for the page the songs are there to download, There will be an official link in the promotion thread later on.

In essence I am guitarist from the beginning but I have migrated to piano since it is easier to write melodies/chords for other instruments when for example orchestrating. Still, the guitar is a great instrument and a great way to see tones/melodies differently than would you on a piano. Victor Wooten once said (not correctly quoted)"If I play piano on a bass, it sounds new and refreshing, but if I would play the same thing on the piano it would sound booring since it had been done so many times before."

Will be back for more postings,

Best regards
Patrik Jarlestam

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Welcome Patrik!
tiphat.gif

Glad you found this forum. I hope you will have a great time here and hope to see you around often
smile.gif

I will be looking forward to hear more about your music and projects and reading (and replying to) your input in the topics around the forum

Best regards
Frederik Magle

Ghost Note

Thank you for the personal welcomes, it does make you feel more at home here than at any other forum.

We Swedes have a reputation of being a musical country, so we now have to stand up and prove that. Probably not by invading this forum, but nonetheless we must make a stand!

Tackar för välkomnandet.

Trebbien

Commodore of Choirs, Charm and Codes
Hello Patrik/ Ghost Note,

Welcome aboard MIMF, hope you'll enjoy your stay
tiphat.gif

cool.gif
Trebbien

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
Hi Patrik,

Welcome.
Hmm... maybe we'll soon be able to start get EU subsidies for these crossborder get-togethers... hehe...

Sounds interesting with your project, not completely original as the genres are now more intertwined than ever before, but still very interesting.
I look forward to seeing you around here.

cheers444.gif

Thomas

Ghost Note

"Sounds interesting with your project, not completely original as the genres are now more intertwined than ever before..."

Question to corno: do you mean that the genres of the music is not original or that the music is ot original. If you mean the music, do you mean that the composed/written material is not original?

Best Regards
Patrik

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
What I ment to say was that the genres in modern day music are fused more toghether than just 10-20 years ago... - a lot of new music is drawing on sources spanning from ethnic percussive/modal use over "western"-computerized-"bass'n'drum" to "simple pop" songs...
Of course there are groups/composers who writes within a specific genre/border, but I think that the majority of music written today reflects the multi-cultural influence which is in all our lives today.
So the mixing of genres, or the "not being dedicated" to one or a few genres in itself isn't that "original". - Not that the project isn't interesting, as I wrote, but I was just stating that the concept of cross-genre projects are more common now...

Regards,
Thomas