Geneology Question

greatcyber

I haven't been on the forum a lot of late as I am working on our family tree online. Since we are all getting older and my grandparents and my father are deceased, I would like to have this tackled while my mother is still around to appreciate it.

In 4 days, I have found about 700 people in the tree. Seems like distant cousins covered all over the UK, Canada, Italy, Austro/Hungary (Transylvania), actually Ungvar. There are Dutch/Irish couples - well, just about every combination you can think of. Just as in my mother's fictionalized historical novel which includes our family from Upper New York State, the Slocums are rather prevalent. Many of them had people listed as "domestic servants" (I guess that probably means...slaves, yuk). Some of them died just before Independance Day. Some were in famous battles. I even read about "The Battle of Quebec" which in "A Short History of the Slocums in America" says that the war lasted only 30 minutes...and the British won.

The records have so far been traced back to mid 1600's in Wales. I'm having a rough go at the Scottish side. I know that relatives on my father's side come from the Black Watch clan, especially the Clan Gordon. Interesting how they adapated the tartan from the Black Watch and inserted a thin yellow stripe.

Anyway, my basic question is this: is it possible that in the mid 1600's in England, that ancestry records were kept for a couple in just the husband's name? The reason I ask is because when I am on Ancestry.ca and get a "hint" and it happens to belong to another family tree, sometimes it will say, for example: spouse: Alexander Smythe (ficticious) born 18 Aug 1649. Then it will say: Alexander Smythe born 29 Nov 1675, and then list the children.

It doesn't make any sense to me, especially when it is from someone else's already researched tree, and especially when it lists the same children, which would lead you to believe that the information is correct.

I have found this on three sets of records, only in England. Italy seems to be fine with the records, as do Wales and Scotland.

Any suggestions while I still have some hair left? All input is welcome. :confused:

I have to admit, this is a tad more fun than watching the History Channel, especially since I am uncovering historical facts and it's part of my family! One thing I read was that one of the Slocum men was the FIRST person in recorded history to successfully sail single-handedly around the world.

I may just have to follow my mom's example and write a book after all the research is done.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Stephen,

The Mormon church (LDS) has a fairly extensive Genealogy search site. I've tried inputting my fathers name and got some results - not the results I was looking for, but nonetheless seemed to be searchable by paternal input as well as maternal.

Buchpteclare

Search for family

Have you checked out the QFHS? (Quebec Family History Society). It's much more than the name implies - and it's location is in Pointe Claire. Look up their web site. There is a lot available for members. www.qfhs.ca

Rob

greatcyber

Thanks, Buchpteclare. I'll look into it. My bigger problem when it comes to searching through the Canadian records in Quebec is that je ne parle pas tres bien le francais aussi, mais je voux attandre. See? Bet I creamed the spelling on that!

So I'll be using a translator programme. I know that was GGF was Poeter R. Chartier and that he lived in New York. His father was from Canada and their native tongue was French, according to a US cencus. His wife's family was also from (sic) Quebec. She was part of the Slocum family.

The adventure continues.

At least it's keeping me off the streets...

Sylvie Pacey

Geneology question

Hi Stephen,:) nice to have you back on forum. There are many Slocombes (Note spelling) here in Somerset, U.K.
I tried looking up my ancestry but didn't seem to get very far which was a pity, as our family is now restricted to my daughter and myself. So there is no one left to answer my questions. Good luck with your researches anyway. Sylvie:):)

greatcyber

Thanks, Sylvie.

Luckily my mother remembers quite a bit that her mother told her. But I've still only gotten back to the early 1800's on her maternal side. On her paternal side I've gotten to the 1600's.

On my dad's side, I've traced his mother's family back to Italy also to the 1600's but on his father's side I've only gotten to his grandfather - still in the states. But after that his lineage is the Black Watch clan (clan Gordon, to be exact) and until I get the information that my deceased uncle accumulated, I have to just guess when searching. All I know is they came from somewhere in Scotland. There were also Slocums (all sorts of spelling - they all get "Americanized" upon immigrating, so dates and places are more important. I know a lot are from Wales and England as well.

So, there has been Dutch/Irish, English/Scottish, couples from Austro/Hungary, Italian, French Canadian and I think we have our own United Nations in my family. From a historical point of view, I am finding this all quite interesting research.

I have to keep checking, because I'M SURE that I MUST be related to royalty somewhere! lol.

Buchpteclare

Thanks, Sylvie.

I've only gotten to his grandfather - still in the states. But after that his lineage is the Black Watch clan (clan Gordon, to be exact) and until I get the information that my deceased uncle accumulated, I have to just guess when searching. All I know is they came from somewhere in Scotland. End quote -
==============================

Aye, thats where the trouble starts. My GGF arrived in Charleston SC sometime around 1855-1858 (Guesswork). He married a boat bride sometime around 1860. She was also from Scotland. He was killed sometime in 1864. Location, unknown. I saw a memorial on the front of a church in Charleston which had his name, age, and military unit. Though I had a good photo of it at the time, it's since been lost. I seem to have run into a bit of a brick wall there.

Other members of the family seem to have come from England, Norway, and perhaps France and Ireland. The 1901, 1911 Canadian census records have helped there a great deal.

It's just something we keep working at.. (Grin). I'm going to join up at the QFHS again this summer and start working through the microfilms.

greatcyber

By then I hope to have a lot more information. I'm really thankful that you provided me with that site. They seem to have very good records.

On ancestry.ca I already have 761 names attached to the tree, but now I realize that some of them might not really be related and need to go back and start to "weed out" those that I added by accident. I had some input from someone else using their service who gave me some pointers. I know that these people are related, but may have attached them to the wrong people. They all share common ancestors, however.