• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Controlling jOrgan Stops with the Computer Keyboard

ggoode.sa

Hi,

For those using jOrgan with their virtual Pipe Organ setups, here is an easy way to control the stops using your computer keyboard.

I'm using jOrgan 3.6beta2, but this has worked liked this from version 2.x and will continue to do so in future versions...

1 Run jOrgan and load the organ disposition.
2 Enter Contruction Mode (click on the 'pencil/ruler/triangle' icon)
3 On the console area click on the Stop that you want to activate/deactivate with the computer keyboard
4 In the Properties section of the Stop you will see the 'Shortcut' property
5 Click on the Shortcut text box
6 Enter the key on the computer keyboard that you want to use to control this stop
7 Click on another Stop in the console area
8 You should now see a small letter next to the Stop that you just configured indicating the Shortcut that you entered.
9 Repeat for all the Stops that you want to configure
10 Save the Organ definition
11 Leave Construction Mode (click on the 'pencil/ruler/triangle' icon again)
12 Play the organ!

Have fun!
GrahamG

tittualex

Dear Graham ,

It sounds quite easy......... but I will try it and let you know....

Thanks a lot....

Alex.

tittualex

dear Graham,

I used Cavaill'e Coll and praestant 1 , those were extremely good organs...........I haven't tried it with my MIDI keyboard yet...... hope that process is also simple ......... :)

Alex.

ggoode.sa

Hi Alex,

Paul's instructions say "[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]After installing jOrgan, simply unzip/extract the disposition package into the jOrgan disposition directory/folder, and open the desired disposition with jOrgan 3.5.1. Dispositions will not work with previous versions of jOrgan[/FONT]". Which version of jOrgan are you using? jOrgan 6.2beta? If so you should be able to unzip them into the 'dispositions' directory, run jOrgan and open the disposition files from where you unziped them.
If you still have a problem let's deal with one organ at a time, so let me know which one you're having a problem with.
There is also a jOrgan forum - http://www.nabble.com/jOrgan---User-f19966.html. You can read through the postings there for more information.
GrahamG

greatcyber

dear Graham,

I used Cavaill'e Coll and praestant 1 , those were extremely good organs...........I haven't tried it with my MIDI keyboard yet...... hope that process is also simple ......... :)

Alex.

Give the NGBO a try, too. Aren't free organs wonderful?

Graham, your help in this and other forums has been a god-send. Thanks so much.

ggoode.sa

Hi Stephen,

Glad you're having fun! Have you used the new MIDI recording feature of jOrgan 3.7 dispositions yet? It's a great way to critique one's own playing (or just enjoy it all again).

GrahamG

greatcyber

Hi Stephen,

Glad you're having fun! Have you used the new MIDI recording feature of jOrgan 3.7 dispositions yet? It's a great way to critique one's own playing (or just enjoy it all again).

GrahamG

Actually, I haven't. My latest version is 3.6.1 so I'll download 3.7 and give it a go. Thanks for the info.

I introduced my mother to http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/home/browse and she now starts her days there as she loves the sound of the theatre organs and it reminds her of her younger days when she played. She says it makes her want to play again, but she has so much arthritis in her hands and her fingers are all crooked and painful. So at least it brings her joyful memories and provides wonderful listening.

tittualex

Hi Alex,

Paul's instructions say "[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]After installing jOrgan, simply unzip/extract the disposition package into the jOrgan disposition directory/folder, and open the desired disposition with jOrgan 3.5.1. Dispositions will not work with previous versions of jOrgan[/FONT]". Which version of jOrgan are you using? jOrgan 6.2beta? If so you should be able to unzip them into the 'dispositions' directory, run jOrgan and open the disposition files from where you unziped them.
If you still have a problem let's deal with one organ at a time, so let me know which one you're having a problem with.
There is also a jOrgan forum - http://www.nabble.com/jOrgan---User-f19966.html. You can read through the postings there for more information.
GrahamG

Dear graham,

Does these dispositions work with version 3.7???????

thanks ,

Alex.

tittualex

Dear Graham,

am still not getting this Jorgan version running........ can you please tell me what all softwares along with the Jorgan 3.7 to run it properly....... when i load the disposition the skin is not displayed.........

thanks,

Alex

ggoode.sa

Hi Alex,

Please tell me which jOrgan disposition you are trying to load.

If you installed jOrgan 3.7 using the windows installer then you should have everything that jOrgan provides. Different jOrgan dispositions require different skins, etc. so that part of the equation is distinct to the specific disposition.

GrahamG