Just hello

Betzy13

Hi, I'm new at this, so be kind!
Mainly I'm online now looking for information about adjustable organ benches.....the Music Director and I (part-time organist) both have short (SHORT) legs and can't get our bench adjusted satisfactorily, so thought that might be the answer, but all I got from our friends at the SIAGO Bach Birthday Bash Sat was "they're expensive" and no concrete leads. Can anyone out there help with some GOOD advice???
Thanks....and good to be on board.....
I think this'll be quite interesting all around......
Thanks!

jhnbrbr

Hello and welcome to MIMF. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you re reasonably priced adjustable bench. Being tall I have the opposite problem, which is easier to remedy just by putting blocks under feet of the bench. One final thought, which may seem like stating the obvious, but have you explored the possibility of getting a competent carpenter to saw a bit off your existing bench?
John.
PS. The best solution of all is an adjustable pedalboard, of course, otherwise as you lower the bench, you effectively raise the manuals, and make your arms work harder!!

Last edited:

marval

Hello, welcome to the forum. I can't help but do stay around there are many here who I am sure will be able to help.

Margaret

methodistgirl

Welcome to the forum. I have the same delima when I get on the organ
bench because I'm a short 5foot2 and the real organist is over six foot.
I know what you are talking about. When he gets it where he can play
the instrument I can't reach the pedals. I eventualy gave up and joined
the choir and enjoy listening to a professional instead of my pecking on
the keys.
judy tooley

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
:wave: Welcome to MIMF, Betzy13.

A company in Pennsylvania (US), Organ Supply has this type of bench available. The unfortunate thing I have experienced with this company is that they only sell to organ builders/technicians who have established accounts with their firm. They do not sell to the general public - been there, done that when I tried to purchase an air switch for our church pipe organ. One may be able to "register" with them and if you meet their "qualifications" you might be able to establish an account with them.

Some pipe organ builders may also offer this kind of bench for sale ... Wicks, Johannes, and others I randomly checked have these for sale, but don't post prices on their sites.

In my own situation, the bench is too low (I'm 6'5") so I made a pair of blocks which raise the bench 1". I drilled two holes into the bottom of the bench legs to which the two wooden dowels mounted into the blocks align up with ... The bench and the blocks move forward or backwards together and can never slide off. The blocks can easily be removed at any time. That little project cost me a couple of dollars for materials and 30 minutes of my time from start to finish.

If shortening the bench, one could employ my "raising" method to restore the bench to normal height, if that were ever needed.

Here's the catalog page from Organ Supply

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha Betzy13,

Welcome Aboard - Please make yourself feel at home - This Forum can become quite habit-forming.

Cheerio,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat: