5. Quiet Houses
6. He Doesn't Know Why
7. Heard Them Stirring
8. Your Protector
9. Meadowlarks
10. Blue Ridge Mountains
11. Oliver James

Recording reference: Sub Pop Records # SPCD777

This is the self-titled debut full-length album from the Seattle-based quintet FLEET FOXES, released in 2008, after the edition of two EP’s – "Fleet Foxes" in 2006 and "Sun Giant" in early 2008.

I find it hard to categorize this stuff (Indie or folk rock?). The group describe their owm music as "baroque harmonic pop jams", which doesn’t explain that much to me. What I can say is that the music sounds very fresh to me, featuring that sort of amazing ethereal sound I enjoy so much, with a strong folksy atmosphere, a nice pastoral feel and pristine, breezy vocal harmonies, all that combined with rich, lush arrangements. :clap:

The vocal timbre of the main vocalist Robin Pecknold reminds Wayne Coyne of Flaming Lips and Sufjan Stevens a lot, but the vocals here are shared almost all the time with other members of the band, in gorgeous vocal harmonies throughout, making this album to sound more in the vein of Pet Sounds (The Beach Boys).

Favorite tracks: "He Doesn't Know Why" and "Your Protector". :up:

Demetrio.

Last edited:

Pamela

Fleet Foxes don't fit a scene, hence the NME don't offer anything more than a 7 for one of the most meticulously crafted and enjoyable debut records in recent history. If you're music fan, buy this record and get lost in its sumptuosness. A record for people with an attention span of more than 2 minutes.