Any John Mayer/Jonny Lang Fans?

WalkingTheSky

Hi all,

I was just curious if anyone else was into the guitar and lyric GENIUSES by the names of John Mayer and Jonny Lang? I'm head-over-heels for their music.

Any other fans in the house?
wink.gif

jason

I've heard of both of them, but never listened to them. I always assumed it wasn't something I would really enjoy.

We have a very extensive MP3 collection here at the office, so I popped open my iTunes and there are about 30 John Mayer tracks in there. I'm in the process if listening to them right now.

I'm still not too interested in the genre. So far it sounds like a mix between radio-light-rock and modern-country tunes. Neither of which are something I would really ever listen to. It's not to say he isn't technically a great technical musician, I just don't care for it much.

WalkingTheSky

At least you're exposing yourself to the genre, no matter how much you don't like it. LOL!

Thanks for responding though. I was worried that no one had heard of them at all.
wink.gif

jason

At least you're exposing yourself to the genre, no matter how much you don't like it. LOL!

Thanks for responding though. I was worried that no one had heard of them at all.
wink.gif

I have recently dedicated myself to being very open minded to giving EVERYTHING it's fair opportunity. In this process, I have not just uncovered a few new musicians/groups that I enjoy, but entire new genres.

I regret having been so closed minded for 27 years.

WalkingTheSky

Well, that's certainly good to hear.

I'm the same way.

Though...

I don't ever give country, noise (metal) or rap a second chance. To me, hearing it once means you've heard it all. LOL! I'll have to work on that.
wink.gif

NineMile

I am a HUGE fan of Jonny Lang, my best friend's mother actually got me into him. John Mayer is very talented as well!

Viktor

I love John Mayer, especially "Room for squares". I catched a gig of that tour as well. It was excellent.

WalkingTheSky

^ Oh! You're so lucky! I had it all planned to see one of his concerts last July, 2004...but the plan fell out.

He is amazing, isn't he? I'm happy to meet another fan.
wink.gif

Viktor

Yes, I got pretty lucky that night. As for John Mayer, you really get the real deal; great songwriting, great vocalist and on top of that, an excellent guitarist. Sometimes he whispers too much when he sings, if you know what I mean, but that's just about the only complaint I have on the guy.

WalkingTheSky

Ah, yes, his infamous mumbling. I've often found that if you're not a major fan who knows the lyrics by heart anyway, then you can't really understand him.
wink.gif

His talent astounds me. Truly. Lyric/Guitar wise, Jonny Lang and John Mayer are at the top of their game. But, I believe Jonny has more power vocally.

Such a long time since anyone has posted here. I read your site a few months ago and did not join then. I am a very big fan of both performers. I've seen Jonny Lang in concert seven times this year and never before that because I discovered him on Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival double DVD album. I was absolutely amazed at how this person I'd never seen or heard of before seemed to let the depths of his soul and emotion drive his singing and guitar playing, still am. He's phenomenal. I'd bought that DVD album last Christmas just to see John Mayer play, did that, and discovered Jonny. My life hasn't been the same ever since. One month after buying the DVD, I saw an ad announcing that Jonny would perform within 100 miles of where I live. Even though I only got a back row seat for that concert, I was completely blown away by the intense, passionate way he sang and played and with such range. The last time I saw him was October 1--the best concert to date--unbelievable crafting of songs, moment by moment. Though he started out at age 15 singing and playing the blues, he has gradually evolved toward gospel type--subtle, however--music. He says he'll have an album out in February--or perhaps March.

I found John Mayer three years ago through a friend. I've only seen him four times in all that time. Very exciting performer--much more talented than any of his albums reveal. In his concerts one is treated to plenty of verbal wit and imaginative guitar improvs. He, too, has evolved from album to album. You may or may not know that he has formed a trio and no longer plays with his original band members. He now plays with drummer, Steve Jordan and bass player, Pino Paladino. This was a major leap for John. He quit playing the huge arena venues and now plays the 2,000 to 3,000 ones. I caught him at the Fillmore in San Francisco recently. He is transformed--longer hair, leaner body, and rockin' the blues--more intense now where he used to be predominantly mellow. His new album--a live compilation of songs from the recent tour this trio did--is due out on November 22. He is now playing and writing the kind of music he has always been passionate about ala Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix, and Sam Cooke, with his own inimitable stamp of identity on them. Incredibly exciting. They'll play three different places in San Francisco from December 29-31.

Did you know that Jonny Lang and John Mayer have another disc in common? They are on the new Herbie Hancock album titled "Possibilities". Two very enjoyable pieces. John's is creative, but I play Jonny's at least twice a day.

There, you've found someone who really is a fan of both. They are both my number one's!

Yes. You said it right--GENIUSES--each in his own way.

John used to mumble and sing off-key, but he doesn't anymore. He's like an impassioned dynamo on stage as he rocks the blues with his newly formed trio. A whole different scene--a changed man--finally getting a hold of some major intensity on the vocal side. Stretching. Still, without a doubt, and until the day he dies, Jonny absolutely has much more vocal power, and it's growing--so much soul, strength--vocal freedom mixed with vocal control.

WalkingTheSky

Wow!

Thank you so much for being such a big contributor to this thread! I was beginning to think that the majority of the people I talk to about these two incredible artists didn't like them or had never heard of them.

I've lost track of John this past couple of months. He got very quiet after he announced that his next album was due out in March of 2006. I assumed he'd take a rather large break from all the touring. I'm envious that you were able to see him several times in concert! Wow! Lucky you! His appearence has changed? I can't wait for more pictures!

Thanks again for contributing. I'll be sure to respond in more detail tomorrow in reference to Jonny Lang.
smile.gif

Jenni123

I am a huge fan of John Mayer .I used to attend his every concert and buy its tickets at very affordable. Its an easy way to have genuine tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Watt

Yeah, I've watched and heard both of these guys, just haven't found a need to type their names, instead of my own.

But what interests me here is seeing Wanderer3005 typing that "Pino Paladino" is part of the act.
Dino Paladino was innovative with his Paul Young recordings, a bassist I like.
He's not the throwback to hard rock blues that both these artists were clinging to for musical respect,
using the back-up musicians of previous stars, such as Stevie Ray Vaughn.

If you're a guitarist interested in what these artists are doing, don't be shy, ask me.

And Wanderer3005, as a person of Scottish descent, I can tell you that not everyone who wanders is lost.
No need to wanna wonder about that.

smudgedude

mayer is a fantastic blues guitarist. people overlook it since he writes fluffy pop music that gets written off pretty easily, but he has some serious talent.

Postediting

I've got a Jonny Lang (JLJCR) Limited Edition Signature Martin guitar. Only 111 of them were made in 2000. Does anyone else in this forum also have one of the JLJCR guitars?