Don't Judge a Book by It's Cover

greatcyber

I'm sure Margaret has seen this as after reading the blurb on the site I found that this was a widely publicized media sensation. I know CT64 hates reality shows, but my sister just passed this link on to me and I wanted to share it here since last year I posted another contestant from this show (albeit in the Classical Music Forum).

This frumpy 47 year old woman in the UK said that she'd never been kissed, is photogenically challenged (to be kind) but she was the biggest shock I've personally had in quite some time...and it was a good one.

Let's see what ya'll think:

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92464?fp=1

jhnbrbr

Generally speaking i agree with CT64, but "Britain's Got Talent" can bring a lump to your throat sometimes (and I'm sure the same is true of other countries' equivalent shows) - there are some pretty amazing people out there.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Let me put it this way: The cover is not too encouraging but the book itself is quite passable. Well, maybe too much of vibrato in her voice.

marval

I didn't actually see it, but my friend told me about it. She is remarkable, not perfect but really good. The look on Simon's face said it all, she should do well. She has generated a lot of interest now, maybe she will do what Farrel Smith did and make a record. Good luck to her, maybe she will get her first kiss off Simon or Piers.

Margaret

greatcyber

To those who sneer, well then... Whether or not Susan Boyle wins the competition is a moot point, as Simon Cowell has already offered to reward her with a record deal. Her life is changed overnight.

Here is what Canada online had to say. There is a link to an appearance in the US via satellite feed in the story.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/04/14/reality-show-shocker-susan-boyles-got-all-kinds-of-talent/

In a world of critics, I guess I'm one who is always on the side of the underdog. Or maybe I should say that I believe in fighting the odds to overcome.

I wasn't saying that she is perfect, only that she is perfectly enchanting.

rojo

(Ret)
Well said, Stephen.

In any case, she's become a worldwide sensation, so it doesn't really matter what the critics say.

Good for her.

greatcyber

Thank you for that, Margaret. Little Hollie is quite a phenom and I'm sure her parents are bursting with pride. I believe it's a safe bet to say that Britain will probably be hearing more from this young rising star.

Sylvie Pacey

Holly

Thank you Margaret for that. I missed the show and was so pleased to have the chance to hear such a lovely voice. I hope she will always remain as unspoilt as she is now.:):):) Sylvie

marval

Hi Stephen and Sylvie, glad you liked it. She has an amazing voice, I am sure we will hear more of her.

Margaret

greatcyber

Recently, I read that Susan Boyle stated that she wasn't sure if she had a chance to win the talent contest or not. That is a cardinal sin in the entertainment business (you can think it but never vocalize it) most likely due to the little darling that seems to be her closest competition. The wee one will have lots of chances in the future and I hope that Britain unites behind Susan. I would love to see her achieve her dream of singing for the masses.

On the semi-finals she was a little rocky on a few notes, but even Simon Cowell gave her a standing ovation (which he almost NEVER does for ANYONE). She so deserves this opportunity.

For those who are interested:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncyQKe6CnQ&feature=popular[/youtube]

Personally, I just love her. I can relate to "late bloomers" as it's nice to have hope.

greatcyber

Over 100 million youtube hits in 3 weeks!

Tonight's the big night!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that Susan Boyle will win the competition tonight. I think little Hallie proved last week that she isn't ready for any of this just yet. She should just enjoy being (a very talented) kid for around 6 more years and spend the time honing her skills and knowledge. With the range that she finally was able to show her second chance, I think we are seeing the next Julie Andrews in another 10 years or so. She seems like she has a 3 octave range. Way to go!!

rojo

(Ret)
I'm really enjoying your enthusiasm for this woman, Stephen. I'm gonna root for her as well. :up:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
She's frumpy and untalented and they're making her out as a star. Sorry, but compared to other Great Britons: Kathleen Battle, Janet Baker, Felicity Lott, Josephine Barstow, Clara Butt, she's not very talented at all.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha CT64,

Please dear sir - kindly be a smidgeon more charitable - It would clothe you well, ok?

;) ;) ;)

Cheers,

CD

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Corno

Sorry, I didn't realise you'd been promoted to a moderator here ... congratulations! Serves me right for not being a frequent visitor.

Last edited:

greatcyber

Now CT, untwist those knickers. Sorry you don't care for Susan Boyle but to call her untalented is well, unrealistic. I don't believe she has had the benefit of training so to compare her to Kathleen Battle is like comparing me and Bach. Some people have natural abilities which need to be honed and luckily for her she will now get that chance due to the exposure she has gotten.

Put yourself in her place. You have a life-long dream and one day when you are near the mid century mark you get an opportunity to fulfill that dream. And if that also creates such a media frenzy and become viral on the net with more than 100 million views in just 3 weeks, don't you think that is pretty amazing?

It's rewarding in itself just to know that someone has gotten that chance and moved that many people. Surely she will now get not only coaching but a lucrative career to boot. Her story is not that unsimilar to J. K. Rowling's: from welfare to wealthier than the Queen in her case.

I bet you'll be happy with how she sounds in another year. There definitely is something about her that is so pure.

Perhaps you were just in a bad humour when you posted but everyone's entitled to that. Happens to everyone. I WISH I was in her shoes about now. She's about to take flight!

greatcyber

Susan Boyle to have CD released in October 2009

Thanks to "Britain's Got Talent" at least one life has been changed forever. Ole Susan Boyle waited 47 years for her chance, and even though she was charming to being with, after being "softened" for the masses, which I do not believe will have any effect on her talent I am heartened to see that she finally gets to realize her dream. There is no doubt she has talent in my mind.

To see the before and after shots, my jaw dropped. My sister sent me a picture of Susan the other day and if she hadn't told me whom it was, I would not have recognized someone for whom I started a crusade.

I hope she gets to live the remainder of her life with not only respect but with the appreciation that so many have shown her. I am SO proud of her.

Here are the pics from Harper's Bazaar online: http://www.harpersbazaar.com/search/fast_search?search_term=susan+boyle#searchv2_tabs

I love happy endings...
sport-smiley-5537.gif