• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

let me tell you about a grand organ in my town...

jason

First, allow me to disclose that I know nothing of organs except that my grandfather used to play one, and he seemed quite talented.

Anyway, I live in Madison, WI, a city of just about 225,000 people with a metro area of just about 560,000 people. Recently we received our first true worldclass performance arts center, The Overture Center. It's an amazing facility for a city of this size, and it has drawn the level of performance entertainment that we've never had here before. That being the level of "wordclass" entertainment.

Within The Overture Center, there is a performance hall which boasts what (to an untrained eye) seems like quite the impressive instrument. A number of local media outlets have expressed the same. It was was built by Orgelbau Klais Bonn of Germany.

As mentioned, and to be brutally honest, I know nothing of organs (I hope to learn more while I'm here), but I was hoping someone who does would be interested enough in this partcular organ here in Madison to take a few moments to educate me on why it's so "great"....

http://www.overturecenter.com/overture_hall.htmOverture Center, Madison WI

Here's an image...
5_organ%20pipes-4x10.jpg

Is it really all that it's been acclaimed to be by the local press? What's so unique about it? If somebody who knows more than I can shed some light on this organ, I would appreciate it.

I ask this out of pure curiosity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
I have never heard that organ myself, but I must say it looks like a unique and very interesting organ. It seems a lot of care have been put into it being a high quality instrument and the facade (the pipes visible in the front) is really remarkable. I like it.

Concert hall organs are actually rarer than one should expect (or wish
smile.gif
), often it is decided to save the space and money and just go for an electronic replica, but nothing beats the "real thing". As I said I haven't heard the Overture Center organ myself, so I can't comment on it's tonal qualities but Klais are well respected organ builders and the disposition looks fine (for a concert organ). It also looks like they are really using the organ in the hall with many concerts etc. I hope they will continue to do that a lot so I won't ever begin to collect dust.

I'd definitely like to visit the Madison Overture Center one day.

Anthony Lemmer

How fun...

It would be ever so much fun to play such a remarkably crafted instrument. I personally have never had the privilege of seeing such an organ, however, I have seen some comparable to it's craft. I will be flying to Valère in Sion, Switzerland to see the legendary (or close as an organ could wish to be) Albert Bolliger organ.

PipeOrganBuilder

I think the "Grand-ness" of the organ refers to the fact that a foreign (non-US) builder has put an instrument in Madison, WI. Not New York, not Chicago, San Fransico or Los Angeles. In the expanding concert hall istallation business, most of the new instruments have been installed by American firms (or American installers, as in Walt Disney Concert Hall). Why Madison? It is a great town with a lot of culture. Having heard the instrument, it is a wonderful addision to the symphony and an excellent recital instrument. The engineering to get it to hide is also very fascinating.

giovannimusica

Commodore de Cavaille-Coll
I wonder where this fetish for Klais comes from? Yes, they have some good instruments - the Dom zu Trier and the Ingolstadt Muenster come to mind, the Birmingham Concert hall where Thomas Trotter is Maestro dal Organo is also not too shabby but I wonder if Klais is not overly hyped. I hope to visit soon *Madtown*, WI to hear this organ.

Marc

Here's a couple of pics of the Klais organ in Madison, Wisconsin (Overture Center):

2wntjsj.jpg

4jb31d.jpg

wljmrbill

Humm.. you might be right CT64. I was sorta following Frederik's response as he knows more than I do. The web site does not offer much help concerning the organ.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Based upon closed examination of a jpg image available on the Klais site, I'm thinking that it is a non working facade. That image (a free download if one desires) also has the entire specifications on the same page.

One of our forum members, giwro is a prominent organist in Madison and can hopefully shed more light on this installation.

The organ is a III/72 with 4,040 pipes and was installed by Klais in 2004.
Haven't been able to find and sound clips of it though. Again, possibly our member, giwro, may be of help with this, too.

[Admin note: I've fixed the broken link in the OP]

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
The original Klais instruments from the middle '60s 'til today usually have functioning pipes in the facades.

giwro

giwro[/URL] is a prominent organist in Madison and can hopefully shed more light on this installation.

The organ is a III/72 with 4,040 pipes and was installed by Klais in 2004.
Haven't been able to find and sound clips of it though. Again, possibly our member, giwro, may be of help with this, too.

[Admin note: I've fixed the broken link in the OP]

Sorry, no help here! <chuckle>

I've not played it, nor do I have any recordings (although I have heard it live)

It doesn't sound like your typical modern Klais - it's voiced like a big romantic American organ. I gather from speaking with a Klais rep that this is what the customer asked for(!)

It is nice, though (and it can play LOUD!)