question about a pickup

Hey all...I have a Gibson P-90 soapbar pickup with the Gibson name/logo on the top (face) of the cover. I have not seen another like this and I really am curious as to what it is off and what the history might be. All of the other P-90 soapbar pickups I have seen just have the blank face with nothing but the screw heads showing....anyone seen one of these?

Daily User

Seems to be an old thread but.. Isn't there anything written underneath? There are numerous old Gibson humbuckers with Gibson logo on them out there. So it is not an inordinary model..

Last edited:

John Watt

Cionnaith MacRitch! I'm typing to type your name as much as providing a definite answer.
This is a big controversy in The United States on many forums, and in many music stores.
North America is swamped with "off-shore" product, and I joke about Strats in gum machines.
If you are confident your pickup came off a Gibson guitar, then there is no problem.
But what has many guitarists over here upset is replica guitars, saying they have no value.
What I like about oriental output is the more elaborate and exotic inlays and graphics.
I've seen copies where the instrument is identical, but the word Gibson might be somewhere
where it wasn't before, or has a more elaborate inlay.
And as some forumites say, sigh, I'm still waiting for the headstock to break.

Standardization is next to idolization, for me, so I hope you enjoy your pickup for what it is.
I've got a '72 DiMarzio P.A.F. Humbucker, what put them on the map, a '58 Gibson replica.
Who'd have thought I'd replace my lead pickup, using epoxy to cover wear, having exposed coils,
just because there are so many out there now, and I wanted a black one to match my newest assemblage.
I've listed that for $20 for over six months, with a new nickel cover, without even one reply.
If you're interested in looking at what's being sold and what for over here, please see www.kijiji.ca,
and for more of a rock guitar raunch-out about anything guitar,
www.harmonycentral.com will not only insinuate, infuriate and try to make your date,
but you will find out what's wrong with so much of American society.
as always, John Watt